Canada gets snubbed

Rob Antoine

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I just finished watching the new features for iOS and OS X. The closest they came to mentioning canada was when they pulled up the poutine recipe. No Apple Pay for Canada and not even the news app. What the heck Apple!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just finished watching the new features for iOS and OS X. The closest they came to mentioning canada was when they pulled up the poutine recipe. No Apple Pay for Canada and not even the news app. What the heck Apple!!

As has been in the past with Apple Pay...you can almost assuredly blame your countries banking entities for the delayed/postponed roll out of Apple Pay. The UK has just adopted the function...I have no doubt Canada will eventually get Apple Pay, but I have a pretty good idea that this decision is not in the hands of Apple themselves.

As far as the News App, so far nobody has it yet, so don't be too quick to get upset about it...once it rolls out ANYWHERE, I'm sure there will be word of when Canada will get it, and if not, at least a reason why.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Agree to SeanHRCC above - I don't think Apple has any control on how the banking works in Canada and there "might" be some changes required at that level + some regulations + some pricing models + Apple capacity + other resources to review before it is released to the public.

+ remember London transit (that might be a chunk of money directly and indirectly)

Canada will get it eventually.

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Ya it sucks. We have the infrastructure for it, and I did hear previously that it was coming "soon" to Canada, so it must be the government delaying it.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Ya it sucks. We have the infrastructure for it, and I did hear previously that it was coming "soon" to Canada, so it must be the government delaying it.

Apple has to come to an agreement with the banks, not the government. There was some issues with security that the banks wanted addressed before implementing it. The rumour a month or so ago was the Apple Pay would launch in Canada sometime in the fall.

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Lol try being in Australia. We are almost the last to get anything on ANY device

this. Although I recently was under the impression Apple likes to test their ideas on us. We were amongst the first to get iTunes Radio. We do get the News app as one of three countries. Still annoyed about Apple Pay, it can't be that big a deal to bring it over here?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've read that Canada's banks are or have been stuck on fees and security issues.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple has to come to an agreement with the banks, not the government. There was some issues with security that the banks wanted addressed before implementing it. The rumour a month or so ago was the Apple Pay would launch in Canada sometime in the fall.

You do realize that the government has a very large impact on these kinds of things too, right? It's not just the agreements with the banks...go read some of the articles about why the UK was so delayed in getting Apple Pay up and running there. And from what I understand, many of the same regulations affect Canadians as well. This is a conglomerate of things putting a delay on it's release, not any one in particular.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
You do realize that the government has a very large impact on these kinds of things too, right? It's not just the agreements with the banks...go read some of the articles about why the UK was so delayed in getting Apple Pay up and running there. And from what I understand, many of the same regulations affect Canadians as well. This is a conglomerate of things putting a delay on it's release, not any one in particular.

I'm not blaming the banks completely, however in this case it doesn't appear govt regulation is the problem. Canadian banks have a lot of power and sway in this country, since our system is not as fragmented as say in the U.S.

Here is a link to a great Globe and mail article explaining what issues the banks are working to resolve with Apple.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...e-pay-reports/article24004338/?service=mobile

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm not blaming the banks completely, however in this case it doesn't appear govt regulation is the problem. Canadian banks have a lot of power and sway in this country, since our system is not as fragmented as say in the U.S.

Here is a link to a great Globe and mail article explaining what issues the banks are working to resolve with Apple.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...e-pay-reports/article24004338/?service=mobile

Money securities are absolutely a function of the government and banks working in conjunction with each other...it's just the basic way consumers are protected from banks screwing them over since the purpose of the banks is money handling. In this article you can read that the hold ups are financial transaction security and privatized fees from the banks themselves. I'd venture a pretty healthy guess that the security side of that involves the appeasement of both the bank entities and the government branch tasked at overseeing such (in the U.S. it's called the FDIC).

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Money securities are absolutely a function of the government and banks working in conjunction with each other...it's just the basic way consumers are protected from banks screwing them over since the purpose of the banks is money handling. In this article you can read that the hold ups are financial transaction security and privatized fees from the banks themselves. I'd venture a pretty healthy guess that the security side of that involves the appeasement of both the bank entities and the government branch tasked at overseeing such (in the U.S. it's called the FDIC).

Mobile payments aren't regulated by the Canadian federal government as of yet. They are planning regulation later this year but right now it's in the hands of the banks.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mobile payments aren't regulated by the Canadian federal government as of yet. They are planning regulation later this year but right now it's in the hands of the banks.

And you don't think that planned regulation is relevant to the delay? Sounds like that could be one of the BIGGEST reasons why it's being delayed, but it's just not being represented as such. Do you honestly think it would take this long for the banks to figure out a "fee"? lol...

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
It's Canada man. Retail and shopping wise, we never get the best deals. It's just weird since nfc and paywave is just about anywhere in Canada. I'd love to have apple pay and leave my cards at home.

chrisforpm

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It's Canada man. Retail and shopping wise, we never get the best deals. It's just weird since nfc and paywave is just about anywhere in Canada. I'd love to have apple pay and leave my cards at home.

I've been using contactless payment for the last 6 months via debit card. The system is mostly in place and has been for awhile. Sadly Apple pay might be a few months away from coming online, if it ever does,

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal