IOS 9 + No Jailbreak Opinions

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
How do you guys feel about iOS9 and this new "rootless" kernel that will make jailbreaking even harder. I totally DON'T agree with it... I rarely agree with anything Apple does though but I love IOS...

I just think Apple is worried about the wrong things. I understand that in a perfect world we would want a super secure OS where nudes and bank account info is invincible. I get that. But don't penalize the jailbreaking community. A lot of users (such as myself) love IOS, but what we love even more is a JAILBROKEN IOS. I imagine a good percentage of jailbreakers don't jailbreak to pirate apps, or steal nudes, etc- we just want features and functions that aren't present in stock IOS. Even more, sometimes we just like to play with or "tinker" with our devices, or at least have the option to do so.

How long have we been begging for a more :"open" OS? Rather than lock down IOS, open it up more OR offer some sort of "developer edition" iPhone for those of us that like to tinker with our devices. So I'm totally not happy with these new IOS 9 leaks. But these my friends are just my opinions- I understand a lot of people are happy and content with IOS. What are you guy's opinions?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is Apple's goal to make iOS as secure as possible on its devices. That, in and of itself, is a good thing. Having said that, it's up to the jailbreak community to find ways to circumvent the operating system. Apple is doing exactly what it is suppose to be doing and I'm glad they are.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was reading about this yesterday.
From my experience with jailbreaking it always made my phone less stable so I look forward to any iOS versions that focuses on stability and security.
I read that iOS 9 and the new OS X may focus more on stability and performance than features.
I also read that part of the iOS 9 focus is having it run great on older devices to extend the life of older devices.
When I did jailbreak I found myself spending more time figuring out issues than I did using the phone.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've never jailbroken my phone. iOS continues to improve each year. To bombard users with too much at one time would leave most people confused. Many can't figure a smartphone out as it is. More functionality and customization are fine, but security is more important. I have a feeling iOS 10 will be a whopper of new stuff. And thanks to iOS 9, it will be stable.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I jumped ship because I was tired of flashing roms or doing a million different tweaks to get my phone to run how I want. I've thought about jail breaking, but figured, there's no point to me because it runs how I like now. Jail break is tempting though. Hopefully they keep it an option for everyone who does enjoy it.

Tapatalk'n On The IPhone 6 Plus 

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I jumped ship because I was tired of flashing roms or doing a million different tweaks to get my phone to run how I want. I've thought about jail breaking, but figured, there's no point to me because it runs how I like now. Jail break is tempting though. Hopefully they keep it an option for everyone who does enjoy it.

When I had my Android devices, there was not an available ROM that I didn't flash at some point. It became an addiction, and after a while, I ended up going back to stock. Then I opted to return to iOS and although I've considered it a time or two, I flat out refuse to jailbreak because I do not want to spend time tweaking just to later discover that it's already nearly perfect for me as-is...:)

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
When I had my Android devices, there was not an available ROM that I didn't flash at some point. It became an addiction, and after a while, I ended up going back to stock. Then I opted to return to iOS and although I've considered it a time or two, I flat out refuse to jailbreak because I do not want to spend time tweaking just to later discover that it's already nearly perfect for me as-is...:)

That's exactly how I was. When I first purchased an Android device. It was countless hours of tweaking & customizing. Then once I discovered how to root it just became too much. I'm still on the fence of jail breaking but the iPhone runs perfectly fine, there's a few things I'd like to change but I can live with how it is now.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
But there still are some people that DO like to jailbreak. I just think it should be an option for those that do. I think some sort of "developer edition" device would be dope for those of us that would like to purchase that

tapehead

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
I understand Apple's point of view on this. But I do think they're being a bit paranoid. I mean, let's just be real... most people use the jailbreak to change fonts, icons, and layouts or to do something like wi-fi tethering. It's a bit extreme.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Rooting/Jailbreaking is something I consider a feature. I love to tinker though.

Having said that, as already noted, this is what I'd expect Apple to do. It should look to make its stuff as secure as possible.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line: it's Apple's OS, and they can do anything to/with it that they choose. I would be hard pressed to call 'jailbreaking' a feature. It's more of an exploit of a a software vulnerability. It makes iOS less secure and more vulnerable to being hacked.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I understand Apple's point of view on this. But I do think they're being a bit paranoid. I mean, let's just be real... most people use the jailbreak to change fonts, icons, and layouts or to do something like wi-fi tethering. It's a bit extreme.

Agreed, MOST people do use jailbreak to add functionality, but it also makes the OS less secure. It's the actual exploit of a software vulnerable that makes jailbreaking possible. And not everyone has benevolent intentions. A little paranoia is a good thing.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Bottom line: it's Apple's OS, and they can do anything to/with it that they choose. I would be hard pressed to call 'jailbreaking' a feature. It's more of an exploit of a a software vulnerability. It makes iOS less secure and more vulnerable to being hacked.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

You're not saying anything I disagree with.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
But there still are some people that DO like to jailbreak. I just think it should be an option for those that do. I think some sort of "developer edition" device would be dope for those of us that would like to purchase that

The problem with this is that it's not an "option" by Apple's choice. Its software vulnerabilities that make it possible. Remember, if those vulnerabilities can be exploited to add functionality, it can also be exploited for ill-intentioned functionality.

Personally, I want the operating systems that I use to be as secure as possible.

Tre Lawrence

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Agreed, MOST people do use jailbreak to add functionality, but it also makes the OS less secure. It's the actual exploit of a software vulnerable that makes jailbreaking possible. And not everyone has benevolent intentions. A little paranoia is a good thing.

Double edged sword, but I'd rather have the ability than not.

For all my talking, I haven't jailbroken my last two devices, so what do I know.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711