Help, iOS 8.4 broke my iPad 2. Where do I begin to fix it?

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Help, iOS 8.4 broke my iPad 2

I've been living with iOS 8.4 on my iPhone 6 since I got the 6 in April, and my iPhone 5 before that with no real issues. So last night, I updated my iPad 2, and now I have problems.

"other" on both devices is approximately 5GB of space. I didn't really notice that at first on the iPhone 6 because that's a 64GB model, but the iPad is only 16BG. So minus the OS/firmware overhead, that's nearly have my available space. Erase all data and settings and start to reinstall stuff without doing a data restore, and presto, that massive "other" usage is back, before I even put any actual data back on, just the apps.

And now bluetooth is dead on the iPad. Per the Control Center, it's on but the BT status icon in the status bar is not there, unless I go into the Settings App and look at the Bluetooth section, which shows that it's on. But it fails to connect to my BT keyboard. Or anything.

Wipe/reload and hard resets have not fixed either issue.

I won't get any help from Apple as this iPad is over three years old.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Help, iOS 8.4 broke my iPad 2

You might see about grabbing iOS 8.3 for your device and installing that while Apple is still signing it...

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

You might see about grabbing iOS 8.3 for your device and installing that while Apple is still signing it...

How? I just did a search and the only file I found for the firmware is from a site I had never heard of before. The instructions themselves look good, but I don't know about the file. Particularly because it's less than 200kB.

usedberry

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site

How? I just did a search and the only file I found for the firmware is from a site I had never heard of before. The instructions themselves look good, but I don't know about the file. Particularly because it's less than 200kB.

Don't know which site you're talking about but seems it's a torrent file. Does it have (.torrent) extension? If yes, you'll need software like uTorrent to download the file.
Hope you get to downgrade to 8.3

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Don't know which site you're talking about but seems it's a torrent file. Does it have (.torrent) extension? If yes, you'll need software like uTorrent to download the file.
Hope you get to downgrade to 8.3
It's not a torrent (and I do have bitTorrent installed). Guess I wasn't clear enough in my second question, sorry.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of iOS 8.3 for the iPad 2 (non-cellular)?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

have you tried a restore via itunes ?

also when you restore are you loading a backup or setting up new?

the "other " for me has only gone away when i wipe the device via itunes not just reset on the device it self

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

have you tried a restore via itunes ?
That is how I did the update to 8.4.
also when you restore are you loading a backup or setting up new?
Initially, I reloaded via the restore from backup. I then tried a erase all data/settings and manual reinstall of stuff, no change.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

That is how I did the update to 8.4.

Initially, I reloaded via the restore from backup. I then tried a erase all data/settings and manual reinstall of stuff, no change.

Sounds like a hardware issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like a hardware issue
Except that it happened exactly coincidentally with updating to 8.4?

Also, I did some more online searching, there are a few threads on apple.com's user support forums with this exact same issue across multiple devices, all happened immediately on updating to 8.4.

What I find strange above that, is today at work the senior tech in my office (desktop support at a major area hospital) brought me a company issued iPad 2 with the exact same symptom except for one thing... it's still on 8.1.3.

I'm installing 8.3 on my iPad as I type. As I expected, resetting the network settings did nothing except waste time (but it had to be tried).

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

And that, too, turned out to be a waste of time. Maybe I'll try a Genius Bar appointment anyway.

Or not... After the install of 8.3, I was seeing the same problem so I gave up and told iTunes to restore from backup, and bluetooth is working properly again!

aalex77

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

Strange. My previously totally reliable iPad2 on 8.1.3 just gave me several hours worth of headaches with very similar lock up episodes. Eventually restored it using iTunes but I have no idea what went wrong in the first place and no idea why the restore eventually worked after a couple tries. I think I will keep watching forums and forego 8.4 for a while.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site

Strange. My previously totally reliable iPad2 on 8.1.3 just gave me several hours worth of headaches with very similar lock up episodes. Eventually restored it using iTunes but I have no idea what went wrong in the first place and no idea why the restore eventually worked after a couple tries. I think I will keep watching forums and forego 8.4 for a while.

Probably a good idea. I'm leaving mine on 8.3 and if there is an 8.4.1, I'll wait to see what the general consensus is before applying it. And if 9 comes out without an 8.4.x fix for this, I'll have to see if there is a way to delete the already-downloaded update files and get rid of the notification that they're ready to install.