Ios VS Android

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
This is my story.

This month I had to leave my phone company because of the fact that maintenance work had been going on in my area since Feb. They told me that maintenance work could be going on in my area for months and that the work around issue would be to sit in different areas of my house so I could try to get better reception. I told them to forget that and asked to cancel my contract. They cancelled my contracts for both my mobile broadband and mobile phone for nothing but said I would need to pay $1000 for my iPhone six plus. I have no issue doing this as I am in love with the iPhone six plus though it will probably end up going to debt recovery and being fortnightly instalments seeing as I am on the pension.

I then went to sign up to telstra. Seeing as Vodafone had made me take my phone with me there was no point in getting another iPhone six plus so I went with the Samsung galaxy s6. My very first two smart phones were a Samsung galaxy s2 and a Samsung galaxy s4. I had an issue with my charger port on my s4 at month 18 of my contract where the phone wouldn't recognise the charger and therefore wouldn't charge. At the time they had told me that it would cost $180 to fix while Samsung themselves said it would probably be covered under warranty. I have heard from different places that this is a known Samsung device fault. I steered away from another Samsung device last august worried about having this same issue and instead got my very first ios device. An iPhone 5c.

It took me a long time to get used to the differences. The biggest differences were the size and the battery life. My s4 could often run for up to nine hours whereas my 5c would need charging every four hours or so. I also have huge hands. For a female my ring size is a size nine. I would get hand cramps from using the 5c. It was too small for me.

However there were some things about ios I was falling in love with. The updating system without the carriers, the customer support and the speed and stability of the system. Therefore when my contract was ready to be renewed in February I looked at many different phones after initially wanting an iPhone six plus (the whole bend gate thing gave me a good scare lol). I was also nervous at just how big this phone must be as everyone was talking about its size.

However after literally 50 to 100 hours researching the galaxy note 4, oneplusone, Samsung galaxy s5, HTC m8, Sony Xperia z3 and iPhone six plus I decided iPhone six plus was the best phone on the market. I decided to go to my local store and try it out to see just how big it was and was surprised as after all the talk I was expecting it to be this huge monstrosity when I could actually use it one handed lol. I decided then and there I was going to get the iPhone six plus.

Anywho back to getting the s6. Telstra told me that I could pay $149 at the end of 12 months and take in my phone in good working condition and I could get any brand new phone on the market. So I decided this would probably mitigate the charger port issue as it had only happened 18 months into the contract. So I decided to go with the s6.

The past week or so I have been going back and forward between my six plus and my s6. I have the sim card in my s6 and using my six plus over WiFi. The differences between the two systems are huge.

Android:

*a disgraceful five hours of on-screen time

*phenomenonal camera- the camera on the six plus doesn't even compare to the s6

*More freedom- better customisation, widgets, no crashes on third party keyboards

*More expansive app store- a lot more games and apps available that I am interested in but I have also noticed some apps that I use on iOS missing on android

*Sometimes lagging

*Apps sometimes crashing

*I have always HATED the way the updating system works on Android where the carriers determine when the update comes out

Apple:

*PHENOMONAL battery life. Makes my s6 look like a toy

*No customisation. I would miss Nova launcher sticking with ios.

*Lack of widgets and third party keyboards like SwiftKey constantly crash

*Incredible customer service. I once told the story how once I got charged twice for an app on Apple. I contacted them and within 24 hours had a response saying that I had been charged twice because they wanted to determine there was money on my card and that I would get the money back. Which I did. When they hadn't heard back from me they emailed me back asking me if I had had my issue resolved.

*Apple care and apple store

*Expensive and sometimes limited accessories

*Imessage- in my opinion the best messaging system ever. My best friend and boyfriend are both with Apple so this is a very important thing for me as they live in America and it therefore doesn't cost me money to message them

*Incredible updating system. I am in love with the fact that being in Australia on iOS I get the update at the exact same time as people in America whereas on Android it can take weeks or even months for me to see the update here in Australia.

*speed and stability- to think I thought ios had bugs haha

These are the things I'm noticing. I have had a lot of trouble choosing between the two operating systems. I still am not sure which I like more. Though I think the battery life is going to be the deal breaker for me and if 5.1.1 on Android does nothing to solve battery life issues I will be putting my sim back into my iPhone six plus and using my s6 as a camera and WiFi only

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. After reading multiple comparisons on the camera of these two, they are pretty even in day to day shooting. The camera with the s6 takes more coloured pictures where the ip6 takes more natural colors. Here it matters which the user prefers. For me, I like more the natural colours from ip6.
S6 has the benefit of more megapixels so you can zoom more in to the picture. That is if you like to "pixel peep".
Both good smartphone cameras in the end.
Why won't you try the s6 for couple of months to see how it ages?

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
You're all very welcome.I'm about to switch the sim over from the s6 to my iPhone six plus. I can't take the pathetic battery life anymore

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Enjoy your 6 plus!

LOL I have been ever since I got it back in February. I am in love with the six plus. If Vodafone had made me give back my six plus I would have gone with the six plus at telstra. Just saw no point in getting a second identical device xd

gfederline9

Banned
Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
LOL I have been ever since I got it back in February. I am in love with the six plus. If Vodafone had made me give back my six plus I would have gone with the six plus at telstra. Just saw no point in getting a second identical device xd

i used to live in australia , melb ,
did they have unlimited mobile data plan in australia ?

i live in uk and THREE mobile and giffgaff offer unlimited mobile plan .

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
i used to live in australia , melb ,
did they have unlimited mobile data plan in australia ?

i live in uk and THREE mobile and giffgaff offer unlimited mobile plan .

No unlimited data plans here in Australia.

My telstra plan is unlimited texting to any Australian number, unlimited calls to any landline or mobile in Australia, $300 worth of international credit and 10gb of data for $139 a month

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Very interesting read, OP.
I've got the Note 4 and I love using it. It's got some great features, but the Lollipop update hasn't played well with it. There is now some lag that wasn't there before and the battery life has suffered. I do like the new experience of Lollipop, unfortunately it's made the phone frustrating to use at times.
As far a iOS, it is my main device and it's my preferred platform of the four I currently use. Nothing beats Apple's attention to detail in all aspects of the OS and the hardware. And customer service is best in the business.

kobe008

Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Android:

*a disgraceful five hours of on-screen time

5 hours OST is not disgraceful that is actually really good. The iphone doesn't show OST so it is more difficult to compare. Now if you are talking total battery life then yes that is pretty horrible and you should have the phone replaced.

The 6 plus has a bigger battery to begin with so it should have better battery life. As a suggestion if you like the bigger phone take the S6 back and try the Note 4. It is a tad smaller than the 6+ but the screen is a little bigger. Battery in the Note is a beast. My upgrade to Lollipop has been awesome and made the phone better IMO.

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting read, OP.
I've got the Note 4 and I love using it. It's got some great features, but the Lollipop update hasn't played well with it. There is now some lag that wasn't there before and the battery life has suffered. I do like the new experience of Lollipop, unfortunately it's made the phone frustrating to use at times.
As far a iOS, it is my main device and it's my preferred platform of the four I currently use. Nothing beats Apple's attention to detail in all aspects of the OS and the hardware. And customer service is best in the business.

You're not alone. I have a couple of coworkers that are having issues with Lollipop, too.

Will6371

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. After reading multiple comparisons on the camera of these two, they are pretty even in day to day shooting. The camera with the s6 takes more coloured pictures where the ip6 takes more natural colors. Here it matters which the user prefers. For me, I like more the natural colours from ip6.
S6 has the benefit of more megapixels so you can zoom more in to the picture. That is if you like to "pixel peep".
Both good smartphone cameras in the end.
Why won't you try the s6 for couple of months to see how it ages?

The iPhone has a very good camera but the S6 is way better detail as does the Note 4, I have taken photos with my iPhone and I can barely read the number plates on a car from 150 yards but with the note 4 I can read a plate easily from twice that. It is the same with macro shots.

The batter on the S6 is much smaller than the 6+ so it obviously has better battery life but the S6 while I had mine was atrocious and my iPhone 6 has much better battery although it is hard to judge the screen on time on the iPhone.

j800rl

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
My last device was a Galaxy Ace II. Performance was horrendous. Got my iPhone 6 in October and never looked back. App experience is far superior, I don't have to worry about "will it run" as if it's in the app store it will run. Everything just works. Yes, some people have experienced minor bugs but compared to what I doubt with on Android its absolutely nothing.

I do occasionally miss the customization of Android but iOS focuses on the things that matter the most. The apps. If you're gonna be spending 99% of your time in apps what's the point in customising your homescreens to the nines?

As op mentioned I love the update model. I can be 100% up to date the moment an update rolls out. With my Ace II it took a while for it to even get Jelly bean. It was on Gingerbread before that. Then it never updated beyond 4.1. The only way to get later was with CyanogenMod.

Android served me well while I was with it and I will always have a place in my heart for it but iOS is top of the pile for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Year ago the details were important to me as well. Got the Lumia 1020 and it had superb details. Then I realized I don't really need all those details, only thing I do need is fast enough AF to get clear picture of my kid running. I have taken so far with ip6 about 1.5k pictures and they all are accurate and focused. If I need to zoom in to the picture via cropping then i use my dslr or old 1020.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
5 hours OST is not disgraceful that is actually really good. The iphone doesn't show OST so it is more difficult to compare. Now if you are talking total battery life then yes that is pretty horrible and you should have the phone replaced.

The 6 plus has a bigger battery to begin with so it should have better battery life. As a suggestion if you like the bigger phone take the S6 back and try the Note 4. It is a tad smaller than the 6+ but the screen is a little bigger. Battery in the Note is a beast. My upgrade to Lollipop has been awesome and made the phone better IMO.

My S6 is lucky to make it six hours after being unplugged. I lose about 20% every hour

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711