Preventing MMS

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way around this...

If I send a picture to a friend via iMessage and for any reason they don't have data then it reverts and sends it as an MMS and I'm charged ?0.60 ($1). It's annoying as often I end up with loads of charges where I've not realised its gone as an MMS. So I turned off MMS to stop this happening however I'm now getting loads of MMS alerts where people are sending me MMS pictures probably for the same reason mine were going out but I have to keep logging in with passwords and usernames to view the pictures.

I don't to turn the send as SMS option off as I use this a lot on friends who are roaming with data off so I do want SMS to revert but is there a way I can prevent iMessage reverting to MMS? I want ideally to have MMS on so I can receive them but I want to be able to prevent iMessage from reverting to use MMS to send when iMessage isn't available?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you not use email for sending photos instead of MMS or post the pics to Dropbox or something and then just share the link to the photos, and can your friends not do the same? As it stands right now, if the recipients do not have an iOS device or are out not able to receive iMessages then your message will revert to SMS and/or MMS. There's no way around it that I know of.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear...

My issue is that when I send a photo via iMessage on occasions if the recipient doesn't have a data connection then iMessage reverts to an MMS to send. Because of this happening loads and being charged nearly $1 each time I turned MMS off.

Whilst this resolves my issue the problem is that others have the same issue and either intending to or not intending to they send me MMS messages and the only way I can view them is by getting a code and logging in online to view them which is a pain. Also I don't get the alert until 3-5 days later so I miss lots of messages and the sender isn't aware that I've not seen them either.

Whilst I prefer whatsapp and email for image transfer I sadly cannot force my friends to use this and it's also easy to forget. The problem isn't about an alternative to MMS it's about preventing iMessage from reverting to MMS if sending fails. If I turn off MMS then it resolves my sending issue but is a complete pain if someone sends me an MMS which I seem to get 3-4 times a week at present!

I quite like the send as SMS feature if iMessage fails because when my friends are abroad with their data turned off or in a location in my own country without data I can still get my messages over to them. However there's nothing like this for iMessage to MMS as far as I'm aware?

I'd love it if everyone used whatsapp or email for image sending but sadly I cannot make people do what suits me haha! and even if I did there's still going to be someone new from time to time.

Even if you were promoted with "Your message failed to send as an iMessage, do you wish to send as MMS?" This would solve all my problems! Ideally I'd love the option to send as MMS if iMessage fails ON or OFF toggle within settings!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
iMessage is between iOS devices. If a iOS device doesn't have iMessage turned on it will send as MMS or SMS.
If a recipient is not using a iOS device it will also send as a MMS or SMS.
If a recipient has their data turned off there's nothing the sender can do about that.
If you are charged for a MMS text that's seems like a carrier thing.
I have unlimited talk text and data and unlimited picture text with my carrier.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
iMessage is between iOS devices. If a iOS device doesn't have iMessage turned on it will send as MMS or SMS.
If a recipient is not using a iOS device it will also send as a MMS or SMS.
If a recipient has their data turned off there's nothing the sender can do about that.
If you are charged for a MMS text that's seems like a carrier thing.
I have unlimited talk text and data and unlimited picture text with my carrier.

Sorry Ed I think you're missing my point! Haha. This isn't about me understanding how iMessage works, I'm fully aware of that and numerous mobile platforms. My question was is there a way of preventing iMessage from sending as MMS if the recipient doesn't have a data connection at that point in time? We have a setting to allow text based iMessages to send as SMS if they fail initially so is there a similar work around for preventing iMessages which have images included from sending as MMS messages if they initially fail?

Sadly in the UK we don't have MMS messages included in any plans for our mobile carriers. You can buy bundles but not only are they expensive but they are a waste of time for me as I don't ever intend to send an MMS. The only reason I was sending as an MMS was because my iMessage was failing due to the recipient not having a data connection at that point in time so it was then sending as an MMS. I actually want to turn off MMS messaging however my problem in that I myself receive 3-4 MMS message each week from friends who like me have had their iMessage revert to send as an MMS or from people not familiar with smartphones or messaging apps and they've accidentally sent an MMS. What then happens is because I have MMS turn off to prevent my own device to reverting to MMS the person sending to me has their carrier try to deliver the MMS about 5 times over the course of 5 days and after the last failed time I get an SMS from their network saying that person tried to send me an MMS and to view it go to this web address using this password. Not only is it annoying but I am unaware that someone has been trying to send me a message and I then get it 5 days later by which time it's usually pointless. They also have no indication that I haven't received it yet either!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The are only 2 options. Turn on MMS or turn off MMS.
If your carrier makes it expensive to send MMS there's nothing in the iPhone to fix that.
I would assume the same would be true for any phone you would use.
What would you do if you had a device running Android?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear...

My issue is that when I send a photo via iMessage on occasions if the recipient doesn't have a data connection then iMessage reverts to an MMS to send. Because of this happening loads and being charged nearly $1 each time I turned MMS off.

Whilst this resolves my issue the problem is that others have the same issue and either intending to or not intending to they send me MMS messages and the only way I can view them is by getting a code and logging in online to view them which is a pain. Also I don't get the alert until 3-5 days later so I miss lots of messages and the sender isn't aware that I've not seen them either.

Whilst I prefer whatsapp and email for image transfer I sadly cannot force my friends to use this and it's also easy to forget. The problem isn't about an alternative to MMS it's about preventing iMessage from reverting to MMS if sending fails. If I turn off MMS then it resolves my sending issue but is a complete pain if someone sends me an MMS which I seem to get 3-4 times a week at present!

I quite like the send as SMS feature if iMessage fails because when my friends are abroad with their data turned off or in a location in my own country without data I can still get my messages over to them. However there's nothing like this for iMessage to MMS as far as I'm aware?

I'd love it if everyone used whatsapp or email for image sending but sadly I cannot make people do what suits me haha! and even if I did there's still going to be someone new from time to time.

Even if you were promoted with "Your message failed to send as an iMessage, do you wish to send as MMS?" This would solve all my problems! Ideally I'd love the option to send as MMS if iMessage fails ON or OFF toggle within settings!

No, there is NO way to prevent iMessage from reverting to MMS if sending fails. Your only options are what has already been stated above.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
The are only 2 options. Turn on MMS or turn off MMS.
If your carrier makes it expensive to send MMS there's nothing in the iPhone to fix that.
I would assume the same would be true for any phone you would use.
What would you do if you had a device running Android?

Haha the problem wouldn't exist if I was using an Android device!!!

The problem relates specifically to iMessage! If I was using an Android device I would have MMS on so I could receive MMS and the problem wouldn't occur because I wouldn't be using their messaging app for anything other than SMS.

The problem is because iOS uses the same messaging app for both iMessage and SMS/MMS therefore if iMessage fails to deliver at the time of sending it automatically reverts to sending as an MMS without warning or prompting. If you turn MMS off then although it prevents the sending of MMS it also prevents the receiving of MMS. What's worse is the sender has no idea that you do not have MMS turned on and the first I know of a message that was sent to me is nearly a week later when the carrier sends me a URL link informing me someone sent me an MMS message and to got here and use this password to view it.

I will just wait and hope that Apple implement an option to allow me to turn off the automatic sending via MMS if iMessage is undeliverable.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
You do know that you can turn iMessage off.

If you turn off iMessage you bypass it. It's that simple. It's like not having iMessage at all like a Android device.

If you had a Android device with MMS on wouldn't your carrier charge you? So what is difference?

There's nothing for Apple to implement.
Would this be a issue for you if you lived in the U.S. with a unlimited data plan?
The whole point of this "discussion" is that you get charged for MMS.

This is not a iOS issue. The fact that the recipient has iMessage turned off or data turned off is not a iOS issue.

There is a visual cue of whose is using iMessage and who is not. You can choose to not text a picture based on this cue if the data charges that apply are a issue for you.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry Ed I think you're missing my point! Haha. This isn't about me understanding how iMessage works, I'm fully aware of that and numerous mobile platforms. My question was is there a way of preventing iMessage from sending as MMS if the recipient doesn't have a data connection at that point in time? We have a setting to allow text based iMessages to send as SMS if they fail initially so is there a similar work around for preventing iMessages which have images included from sending as MMS messages if they initially fail?

Sadly in the UK we don't have MMS messages included in any plans for our mobile carriers. You can buy bundles but not only are they expensive but they are a waste of time for me as I don't ever intend to send an MMS. The only reason I was sending as an MMS was because my iMessage was failing due to the recipient not having a data connection at that point in time so it was then sending as an MMS. I actually want to turn off MMS messaging however my problem in that I myself receive 3-4 MMS message each week from friends who like me have had their iMessage revert to send as an MMS or from people not familiar with smartphones or messaging apps and they've accidentally sent an MMS. What then happens is because I have MMS turn off to prevent my own device to reverting to MMS the person sending to me has their carrier try to deliver the MMS about 5 times over the course of 5 days and after the last failed time I get an SMS from their network saying that person tried to send me an MMS and to view it go to this web address using this password. Not only is it annoying but I am unaware that someone has been trying to send me a message and I then get it 5 days later by which time it's usually pointless. They also have no indication that I haven't received it yet either!

If it's just one or two friends, tell them to send photos via email. Or at least tell these people not to send photos and videos unless they are on iMessage. If they're non idevice people then make it clear to email the photos. Or post them to your Facebook or Instagram.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
The visual iMessage cue is irrelevant in this situation. What happens is you open a new message to another iOS iMessage user and the recipient name turns blue to indicate it's an iMessage as per normal. You then add an image and if required text too, then press send as per normal. If the recipient has a data connection at that point in time then the message is delivered using iMessage and all is fine. IF that recipient doesn't have a data connection at this point in time for whatever reason (inside a large building, shopping centre, tube train etc) then iMessage immediately reverts to using MMS to deliver the message without any form of warning. The only indication you have is that the message sending suddenly turns green and then displays as "Message" without any means of stopping or cancelling as the moment it's green it's too late because it's sent so you cannot even cancel out.

Is this clear?

Whilst it's all well and good that you have an unlimited MMS plan sadly we do not have such an option in the UK. I have unlimited calls, texts and data but not MMS.

To prevent this from happening I can turn MMS off HOWEVER, this then means if anyone else suffers from the same issue as described above then I will get the occasional MMS. Even if I request to my friends to never send me an MMS or Media via iMessage it is just that a "request" and I cannot enforce the request so it's inevitable that it will continue.

It is most definitely an iOS issue, there should be some form of warning if iMessage is unable to complete that you are warned or prompted whether you'd like to send as an MMS. We have the option to send as SMS is iMessage is unable so why not the same for MMS?

So my answer that I was looking for is NO iOS doesn't have the option to prevent iMessage sending as MMS when iMessage is not available the same as there's an option for preventing iMessage from sending as an SMS when iMessage is unavailable.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
You do know that you can turn iMessage off.

If you turn off iMessage you bypass it. It's that simple. It's like not having iMessage at all like a Android device.

If you had a Android device with MMS on wouldn't your carrier charge you? So what is difference?

There's nothing for Apple to implement.
Would this be a issue for you if you lived in the U.S. with a unlimited data plan?
The whole point of this "discussion" is that you get charged for MMS.

This is not a iOS issue. The fact that the recipient has iMessage turned off or data turned off is not a iOS issue.

There is a visual cue of whose is using iMessage and who is not. You can choose to not text a picture based on this cue if the data charges that apply are a issue for you.

I feel I need to answer this directly because you are massively missing my point...

This isn't about avoiding using MMS or bypassing my carriers MMS charges. It's about preventing iMessage from automatically sending as an MMS if it's immediately unable to send via iMessage. I'm aware I can turn MMS off but then I suffer from the issue where some people who do send me an MMS albeit genuine or suffering from iMessage failing firstly then the first I know of it is 5 days later when the standard amount of MMS tries expire and I receive a standard SMS informing me that someone has attempted to deliver an MMS etc.

If I turned iMessage off or I used an Android device then the issue wouldn't occur because I wouldn't be sending images via the messaging app regardless! As I've already stated this issue is explicitly iOS and the fact that iMessage automatically without warning and without being able to stop reverts to sending as MMS.

Surely this is clear now?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way around this...

If I send a picture to a friend via iMessage and for any reason they don't have data then it reverts and sends it as an MMS and I'm charged ?0.60 ($1). It's annoying as often I end up with loads of charges where I've not realised its gone as an MMS.

Here you say you end up with loads of charges. So how it's this not a factor?
If it's not a factor why mention it.

If I initiated a text with a picture my intent is to send the picture no matter if it's iMessage or MMS.
Why do you need a warning? So you can cancel sending it to avoid charges? So you know you are going to be charged?
What's the point of a warning then?

Everyone on this thread agree there are 2 options. ON or OFF. "There is no "well your friend is not on iMessage are you sure you want to send this text option."

Turn off iMessage and just use MMS "oh but wait" you want to take advantage of iMessage "oh but wait" what if iMessage fails and sends as MMS "oh I'll be charged." Turn MMS off "oh but wait" people send me MMS I need to get.

Your conclusion: iOS has a problem.

Because you have this dilemma you put blame on iOS/Apple and it's definitely not a iOS/Apple problem.
Believe me I'm super clear on what the issue is here.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Here you say you end up with loads of charges. So how it's this not a factor?
If it's not a factor why mention it.

If I initiated a text with a picture my intent is to send the picture no matter if it's iMessage or MMS.
Why do you need a warning? So you can cancel sending it to avoid charges? So you know you are going to be charged?
What's the point of a warning then?

Everyone on this thread agree there are 2 options. ON or OFF. "There is no "well your friend is not on iMessage are you sure you want to send this text option."

Turn off iMessage and just use MMS "oh but wait" you want to take advantage of iMessage "oh but wait" what if iMessage fails and sends as MMS "oh I'll be charged." Turn MMS off "oh but wait" people send me MMS I need to get.

Your conclusion: iOS has a problem.

Because you have this dilemma you put blame on iOS/Apple and it's definitely not a iOS/Apple problem.
Believe me I'm super clear on what the issue is here.

He's not worried about sending photos. His concern is his friends sending him photos on MMS, rather than iMessage. He gets charged for photos received. He needs at least a decent text bundle that includes MMS. But he says that's not available for him. So when a friend sends him a photo MMS, he gets charged as soon as he views the text. He doesn't know it's MMS until he sees it. Top late. His carrier could block all SMS/MMS and force all SMS users to either email or use another text option. I would just tell these people to email all photos and videos.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
No I don't get charged for receiving MMS only sending. I have to have MMS turned on so I can receive MMS from those who decide to use it. Some people aren't even aware it's sent as an MMS. If I have MMS turned off then the first time I hear of an attempt to send me an MMS is about a week later after the standard network 5 tries. I get a text message a week later saying to go to this URL and enter this password to view the message. By this stage it's usually too late and the content of the message isn't relevant and the sender has no indication that I've got MMS turned off.

If I have MMS turned on my problem is that when I send an image via iMessage IF at that moment in time the other iMessage user is out of data service for whatever reason the iMessage doesn't fail to deliver it reverts to sending as an MMS message instead! The message turns blue because it's aware the number I'm sending to is an iOS iMessage assigned number and it states sending... Then all of a sudden it stops and turns green to show it's sent as an MMS and I'm charged a $1 for the privilege! The person I'm sending to can simply be in an elevator at work or driving through a tunnel or anything similar where data drops for a minute or two and if I'm sending to them as what I believe is an iMessage then I have no means of stopping it sending as an MMS message of the iMessage attempt fails. Now I'm more than aware that I can use email or instant messaging but sadly not everyone uses whatsapp or similar or has email. I have older relatives who have iPhones but do not use whatsapp or similar and have no need or desire to use email.

It's not really about my carrier not offering free or inclusive MMS I just feel Apple have implemented the option to enable or disable iMessage from reverting to an SMS if iMessage fails but haven't added such functionality for iMessage and MMS.

If I had an android device then this wouldn't happen because I wouldn't be using the stock messaging app to send photos.

I'm not sure why you are taking this so personally, it's like I've just insulted one of your children! The only response there should have been is no there's no work around for this as yet. Simple as that, that's all I wanted to know is there a way around this within the iOS settings? There's really no need to grill what price plan I'm on, what would I do if I was on another device platform.

You do realise you're denying functionality that already exists in iOS don't you Mr Guru? We have the option of choosing whether iMessage reverts to sending as an SMS if iMessage fails and this is EXACTLY the functionality I require for iMessage to MMS so it's the same principle! You have the option of turning off the ability for iMessage to revert to SMS so why not MMS hence it being lacking functionality in iOS. No I'm not desperate to send a message regardless! I'm sending it because it's free using iMessage! Plain and simple! If they said it would be a $1 per image sent I'd probably not bother sending most of the images! I'm amazed you're still confused by this concept! Even my 90 year old Grandma would have understood it by the second post!

We are not trying to dig anyone out here or trip them up, you just answer the question if you know the answer and help each other out. I was quite clear with my original post yet somehow I'm about a dozen posts further and I'm still explaining the issue. I couldn't care less what price plan you're on or what means of communication you and your friends use I just wanted to know if there was a way of preventing iMessage from reverting to an MMS if it couldn't deliver. Surely a clear and simple question and didn't require me to waste my time and everyone else's justifying my purpose.

I'm boring myself by still explaining this now so I will leave it there.

Let's try and make this a place where people can ask questions and help each other and not be shot down and grilled to pieces. If you have a problem with this then send me an MMS.....

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No I don't get charged for receiving MMS only sending. I have to have MMS turned on so I can receive MMS from those who decide to use it. Some people aren't even aware it's sent as an MMS. If I have MMS turned off then the first time I hear of an attempt to send me an MMS is about a week later after the standard network 5 tries. I get a text message a week later saying to go to this URL and enter this password to view the message. By this stage it's usually too late and the content of the message isn't relevant and the sender has no indication that I've got MMS turned off.

If I have MMS turned on my problem is that when I send an image via iMessage IF at that moment in time the other iMessage user is out of data service for whatever reason the iMessage doesn't fail to deliver it reverts to sending as an MMS message instead! The message turns blue because it's aware the number I'm sending to is an iOS iMessage assigned number and it states sending... Then all of a sudden it stops and turns green to show it's sent as an MMS and I'm charged a $1 for the privilege! The person I'm sending to can simply be in an elevator at work or driving through a tunnel or anything similar where data drops for a minute or two and if I'm sending to them as what I believe is an iMessage then I have no means of stopping it sending as an MMS message of the iMessage attempt fails. Now I'm more than aware that I can use email or instant messaging but sadly not everyone uses whatsapp or similar or has email. I have older relatives who have iPhones but do not use whatsapp or similar and have no need or desire to use email.

It's not really about my carrier not offering free or inclusive MMS I just feel Apple have implemented the option to enable or disable iMessage from reverting to an SMS if iMessage fails but haven't added such functionality for iMessage and MMS.

If I had an android device then this wouldn't happen because I wouldn't be using the stock messaging app to send photos.

I'm not sure why you are taking this so personally, it's like I've just insulted one of your children! The only response there should have been is no there's no work around for this as yet. Simple as that, that's all I wanted to know is there a way around this within the iOS settings? There's really no need to grill what price plan I'm on, what would I do if I was on another device platform.

You do realise you're denying functionality that already exists in iOS don't you Mr Guru? We have the option of choosing whether iMessage reverts to sending as an SMS if iMessage fails and this is EXACTLY the functionality I require for iMessage to MMS so it's the same principle! You have the option of turning off the ability for iMessage to revert to SMS so why not MMS hence it being lacking functionality in iOS. No I'm not desperate to send a message regardless! I'm sending it because it's free using iMessage! Plain and simple! If they said it would be a $1 per image sent I'd probably not bother sending most of the images! I'm amazed you're still confused by this concept! Even my 90 year old Grandma would have understood it by the second post!

We are not trying to dig anyone out here or trip them up, you just answer the question if you know the answer and help each other out. I was quite clear with my original post yet somehow I'm about a dozen posts further and I'm still explaining the issue. I couldn't care less what price plan you're on or what means of communication you and your friends use I just wanted to know if there was a way of preventing iMessage from reverting to an MMS if it couldn't deliver. Surely a clear and simple question and didn't require me to waste my time and everyone else's justifying my purpose.

I'm boring myself by still explaining this now so I will leave it there.

Let's try and make this a place where people can ask questions and help each other and not be shot down and grilled to pieces. If you have a problem with this then send me an MMS.....

If it's shows blue, then you should not be charged for sending a photo. If green, don't send it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Not necessarily. Even with regular SMS sometimes I'll have it show blue and send a message. When I later go back to check, it will be green and say it was sent as a text message. The same thing could easily be happening with MMS.

I've had it show blue on the previous text, then send a new one and it change to green. What happens in my case is this person powers off their phone. The last text still shows blue. Maybe he should test first with SMS, then if it's still blue do the photo. IDK!?!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Please tell us what carrier doesn't have a plan for sending and receiving MMS, nor the ability to add that functionality to it? In the states MMS has always been covered by the SMS plans, so as you can see it's easy for a lot of us to get confused as to what your issue is. Is the real problem that you're Jailbroken and using a un-supported carrier? How about some real details to the situation first, before having a long drawn out hissy fit ...

twilite2000

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Today like most days sending text to my husband can be quite challenging. He works in the middle of a very large office building and reception can be rather spotty. We both have iPhones. When sending an imessage most times it's blue occasionally it will turn green with no notification that it was sent as an SMS. For some photos if it's undeliverable I get a notification alerting me if I want to send as an MMS instead and carrier charges may apply. I'm not charged a separate fee since data is incorporated into my plan. It will not send if I don't reply to this notification. It will just sit there in my feed until I agree to send as MMS or I delete it. I'm also not being charged extra for receiving MMS. I'm sending you a screen shot of my settings. I'm not sure if I've completely understood your problem or if I've help, but best of luck finding a solution.
image.jpg