Boy, did apple miss the mark with Email

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the above. Email is the worst form of communication these days. So insecure it's not even funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use email for private messaging. I mostly use it for biz and news letters.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually agree with the OP. He's not complaining there's no alternative and he's not asking how it's done he's just discussing the fact that the iOS mail app is somewhat lacking I comparison to our email needs.

I'm not a fan of third party apps that replace stock iOS apps. It's nothing more than I just don't like the app clutter. I think a lot of the restrictions relate to the lack of iOS file manager. For instance the reason we can currently only attach photos or video from within the mail app is because of there being a stock photo and video repository. iBooks is not a stock iOS app so there's no stock pdf storage or handling to then allow us to attach a pdf to an email reply or new email.

I think it will be some time and a big redesign before Apple are able to implement proper file attachments.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I actually agree with the OP. He's not complaining there's no alternative and he's not asking how it's done he's just discussing the fact that the iOS mail app is somewhat lacking I comparison to our email needs.

I'm not a fan of third party apps that replace stock iOS apps. It's nothing more than I just don't like the app clutter. I think a lot of the restrictions relate to the lack of iOS file manager. For instance the reason we can currently only attach photos or video from within the mail app is because of there being a stock photo and video repository. iBooks is not a stock iOS app so there's no stock pdf storage or handling to then allow us to attach a pdf to an email reply or new email.

I think it will be some time and a big redesign before Apple are able to implement proper file attachments.

Who said the OP was complaining? From what I gather, some of the responses support his opinion and some indicate contentment with the native Mail app. The good thing about it is the fact that we have choices. Do I wish Apple would overhaul the native Mail app? Yes, but if they don't I won't lose any sleep over it because there are alternatives I can choose from should I need to.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Who said the OP was complaining? From what I gather, some of the responses support his opinion and some indicate contentment with the native Mail app. The good thing about it is the fact that we have choices. Do I wish Apple would overhaul the native Mail app? Yes, but if they don't I won't lose any sleep over it because there are alternatives I can choose from should I need to.

You just needed to read a few posts above yours and you would have seen the following post, does this answer your question about who said he was complaining?

Lol just download another app that suits your needs better. In the time you wrote this post you could have just done that. I can't understand complaining about something that isn't your ONLY option. There are tons of email apps that do what you want.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You just needed to read a few posts above yours and you would have seen the following post, does this answer your question about who said he was complaining?

I clearly missed it, and I have no problem being corrected. Thanks...:)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe every user has to do what it takes to accomplish tasks that are important to their work or play.
Some of the 3rd party email apps are great to use and have great features.
Cloud Magic is a good email app that links Dropbox and Google Drive and others.
If this is too much for a user there are other mobile platforms that can give them what they want without a 3rd party app.

I must have 5 email apps on my phone. Basically to see what they do and having options to get stuff done. If a situation occurs and I have to send multiple pdf attachments or other documents I know what tools to use. It's just as quick as using the native email app.

If doing a lot of work via the native email is important to a user do what you have to do to get it done until Apple changes the way they do it email attachments or investigate another platform that fits your email needs.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe every user has to do what it takes to accomplish tasks that are important to their work or play.
Some of the 3rd party email apps are great to use and have great features.
Cloud Magic is a good email app that links Dropbox and Google Drive and others.
If this is too much for a user there are other mobile platforms that can give them what they want without a 3rd party app.

I must have 5 email apps on my phone. Basically to see what they do and having options to get stuff done. If a situation occurs and I have to send multiple pdf attachments or other documents I know what tools to use. It's just as quick as using the native email app.

If doing a lot of work via the native email is important to a user do what you have to do to get it done until Apple changes the way they do it email attachments or investigate another platform that fits your email needs.

I like CloudMagic! But it's too bright with too much low contrast text. I found it difficult to read. But so are many others. I'm still waiting for an email client with a dark theme option.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Just been playing with attachments and found a workaround for those of you who don't want to use a third party email app but do want the ability to add attachments other than photos or video to already composed emails OR replying to an email and adding the attachment to the reply.

I'm presuming you are using something like Google Drive in order to store your files as there's no native file manager in iOS.

All you need to do using Google Drive as my example is as follows. Select the file within Google drive and then choose to email it which opens a new email, email it to yourself then open the email in the iOS mail app and then select all or just select the attachment and choose copy then open your other email and choose reply and then just paste it in and it pastes the attachment perfectly! Same goes if you've started composing you just need to save the email as a draft and then go to drive and email it to yourself then copy it from the email that arrives and then open your draft and paste it in. Sounds long winded but it does the job and is only a couple of extra steps which isn't too much of a big deal. Same goes for multiple attachments you just send them all to yourself first one by one then copy and paste them into one email.

Apologies if this is common knowledge but I only just tried to to see if it worked and it did!

John Crist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
You could... join the Crack(Berry) addicts. Our phones really are business phones with a primary focus on being the best out of the box ;)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
You could... join the Crack(Berry) addicts. Our phones really are business phones with a primary focus on being the best out of the box ;)

My experience with Blackberry is over four years old, but it was so horrendus they have forever eaarned the nickname "Crapberry" from me. And from what (little) I've seen of their newer offerings, things haven't improved.

Prblems I had were with a personal device. Without doing anything to the built-in apps or OS, or hardware, I went through SEVEN warranty replacement devices in 18 months, one which arrived dead and had to be exchanged, leaving me without a working phone for over two days.

Other issues incuded email - having everything go through my hosted email server, then Blackberry before it reached my device only added a failure point to the chain, and fail it did - often. I had lost count on how many times I had to either go without email availability due to a FAILURE with the Blackberry server or nuke and re-configure my email settings.

Several times, the BBM application would corrupt itself and take the OS with it requiring a full device reinstall of the OS and restore. And I didn't even use BBM.

On those seven device replacements? Because everything is (was?) tied to a device ID rather than a user ID, every time I got a new warranty replacement, I had to re-register EVERYTHING.

Emal was POP-equivelent only, no IMAP available. That means that I had no access to any of my email folders when on mobile. Changes were NOT synced. Etc, etc.

The only good thing I can say about my time with Crapberry is that that phone had the best cellphone camera I had seen until I got my iPhone 5 (I had an original Droid X in between).

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Haha really don't need to waste any more time debating Blackberry vs iPhone surely? - Both have their pros and cons and it's whatever suits the individual the rest is personal opinion.

Getting back to the original topic yes the steps are long winded if you want to avoid third party apps but for me I'm not a big fan of third party apps to replace stock iOS apps for numerous reasons so I'm happy to use workarounds. I think the original posters comments still stand that although we love our iOS devices it is quite poor that after nearly 8 years of the iPhone iOS we still can't add an attachment to an email that isn't a photo or video using the native iOS mail app.

If I bought a top of the range BMW that didn't have sat nav I would have the same remark that it should be standard by now rather than being told to go out and buy a TomTom. Point being that by now attachments should be core functionality on an 8 year old OS.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The native mail app would benefit from access to the iOS 8 filepicker. I'd imagine this is very likely coming in iOS9.

For now, just use one of the dozens of better apps out there. I choose outlook, it's fantastic.

Also, sending attachments via email these days is an extremely dated notion and should be avoided. Save bandwidth and time by using a cloud service like Lync. Also makes collaboration a heck of a lot easier.

Just leave that junk in the box, it's about as useful as it is out.

John Crist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow. They kind of missed that one, eh?

A Blackberry is by far one of the worst phones to use right out of the box considering the 2 hours one would need to set it up.

My experience with Blackberry is over four years old, but it was so horrendus they have forever eaarned the nickname "Crapberry" from me. And from what (little) I've seen of their newer offerings, things haven't improved.

Haha really don't need to waste any more time debating Blackberry vs iPhone surely? - Both have their pros and cons and it's whatever suits the individual the rest is personal opinion.

Just leave that junk in the box, it's about as useful as it is out.

I mean, I'm converting to a 6+ in the coming weeks, but... ouch! Presently a BlackBerry Z30 user! :p

Seriously though, no feelers were hurt. I'm switching for a reason: iPhones always have and always will work flawlessly out of the box with next to no real setup.

And I have hundreds of dollars of paid apps still on my Apple ID. I was a loyal follower until the 5S, skipped that one.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site

Prblems I had were with a personal device. Without doing anything to the built-in apps or OS, or hardware, I went through SEVEN warranty replacement devices in 18 months, one which arrived dead and had to be exchanged, leaving me without a working phone for over two days.

Other issues incuded email - having everything go through my hosted email server, then Blackberry before it reached my device only added a failure point to the chain, and fail it did - often. I had lost count on how many times I had to either go without email availability due to a FAILURE with the Blackberry server or nuke and re-configure my email settings.

Several times, the BBM application would corrupt itself and take the OS with it requiring a full device reinstall of the OS and restore. And I didn't even use BBM.

On those seven device replacements? Because everything is (was?) tied to a device ID rather than a user ID, every time I got a new warranty replacement, I had to re-register EVERYTHING.

Emal was POP-equivelent only, no IMAP available. That means that I had no access to any of my email folders when on mobile. Changes were NOT synced. Etc, etc.

The only good thing I can say about my time with Crapberry is that that phone had the best cellphone camera I had seen until I got my iPhone 5 (I had an original Droid X in between).

I find that blackberry is the most comfortable emailing devices ever ;) nice physical keyboard, easy setting email, real time email, synced controlled as we wished ;p
Body built good, at least for mine ;)

My blackberry is mainly for phone call, email and bbm (work)

for the app hmmm no comment LoL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox