Boy, did apple miss the mark with Email

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I've just decided to use my icloud address as my primary email. I went online, figured out the whole attachment thing, I'm happy.
I did like quite a few things about Blackberry but I dropped them after they gave up on native apps. Then I hear they're shacking up to Samsung, which is, imo, the equivalent of turning tricks in the gutter.
So Apple it is, Apple all the way. Works for me.

John Crist

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
No doubt traditional email is old and certainly BB10 could be better. Not saying otherwise. That said, it IS an extremely strong communications platform, if nothing else. Not worth flaming over :p

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying it's not used its just an outdated form of communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree with this. Email is the standard for business communication in my world as well as the number one option for notification of activities in groups and forums.

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Coming to iOS after spending years with blackberry devices I'd tend to agree with the OP.
I'm using cloud magic to handle my work emails

flybub

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I disagree with this. Email is the standard for business communication in my world as well as the number one option for notification of activities in groups and forums.

I completely agree. I run a small business and there are only 4 full time people and a few part timers. I handle email quite a bit from mostly mom and pop shops and normally .pdf attachments. I would be in real trouble if there were not email for what I do. Majority of us don't work for large corporations with teams tied to a Dropbox account. So for us it's either email, put a letter in the mailbox, or make a phone call, and I can't send an invoice or some other document through a phone call.

AllAroundTech

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
You mean you prefer it over any others at this time....:)

Yeah. I use a lot of devices, so it's easy to just sign in with my Dropbox as it can sync all my emails at once, whereas in stock Mail, you have to enter each address one at a time.

I also do wonder why Apple hasn't put in an iCloud service that syncs all of your added accounts like Mailbox does.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't really get much personal email, so my gmail is the standard mail app

I'm like that. What personal email I do get are contacts I have listed as VIP. That helps separate from biz.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

xtremeled

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Haha really don't need to waste any more time debating Blackberry vs iPhone surely? - Both have their pros and cons and it's whatever suits the individual the rest is personal opinion.

Getting back to the original topic yes the steps are long winded if you want to avoid third party apps but for me I'm not a big fan of third party apps to replace stock iOS apps for numerous reasons so I'm happy to use workarounds. I think the original posters comments still stand that although we love our iOS devices it is quite poor that after nearly 8 years of the iPhone iOS we still can't add an attachment to an email that isn't a photo or video using the native iOS mail app.

If I bought a top of the range BMW that didn't have sat nav I would have the same remark that it should be standard by now rather than being told to go out and buy a TomTom. Point being that by now attachments should be core functionality on an 8 year old OS.

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly the point. I'm happy for those of you that don't consider email on a smartphone important. I'm happy for all of you that don't have email as a primary communication for work. But in todays corporate environment, Email is very important and not just for video and pictures.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
This is the reason I only use my iPhone for basic email use. If I need to send a quick email with an attachment or two, I use my GS5.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
As the title say, Apple has really screwed up email. How can you call an iPhone a business phone? A key part of today's business professional is email, This phone sucks for email. Starting an email and then trying to attach something? Not gonna happen here. Multiple attachments? not here. I am flabbergasted at the complete lack of up to date technology with respect to email. If you're building a toy phone then yes, email is not very important but, in this day and age where the world communicates thru email it begs the question, Why does the email on this phone have to provide such a challenge compared to every other platform out there? Perhaps an overhaul ov the system is in order. something to make iOS current.

I don't know, but my wife is the GM of a Hampton Inn and just got her CHA and she has all of her business emails on her stock email app on her iPhone. Seems to work just fine.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Like a few others have mentioned, my workaround has been to use CloudMagic. The free version meets my needs just fine and allows me to attach multiple files from my cloud storage services, including iCloud. I'm pretty happy with it.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Like a few others have mentioned, my workaround has been to use CloudMagic. The free version meets my needs just fine and allows me to attach multiple files from my cloud storage services, including iCloud. I'm pretty happy with it.

I think the point here is that these features should be included with the stock iOS app not made to use a third party workaround. It would be different if this was a brand new iOS and features were added all the time but iOS is 8 years old now so it's really poor that basic features like adding multiple attachments to an email aren't part of the stock mail app. I can manage and use workarounds so it's not a deal breaker for me but I think the original posters point was just this that it should be included by now.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not saying it's not used its just an outdated form of communication.

eh ? seriously ? then i guess my country is so outdated since I believe majority of the companies still using email and attachment for work communication, receiving po, sending po and else

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I think the point here is that these features should be included with the stock iOS app not made to use a third party workaround. It would be different if this was a brand new iOS and features were added all the time but iOS is 8 years old now so it's really poor that basic features like adding multiple attachments to an email aren't part of the stock mail app. I can manage and use workarounds so it's not a deal breaker for me but I think the original posters point was just this that it should be included by now.

I agree. It's 2015. No workaround should be required.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible that the native Mail app is more than sufficient for the majority of iOS device owners and there hasn't been an majority outcry for them to do a complete makeover/overhaul?

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible that the native Mail app is more than sufficient for the majority of iOS device owners and there hasn't been an majority outcry for them to do a complete makeover/overhaul?

In the early days of iPhone iOS there was no MMS support. People who had relied on and expect mms from their phones were told by those who didn't care to just use email if they want to send a photo. Apple then implemented MMS.

I'm sure someone like yourself in the early days said the majority of users don't want MMS.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal