Extensions

igorsky

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Anyone have any ideas why developers are so slow to adopt the new extension APIs? Popular photo apps like VSCO and Facetune, for example, are ideal for this as well as the countless Twitter clients.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's difficult to say. Maybe one of the members who is also a developer will comment on your question soon.

pacorob

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I also noticed that are still so few apps that support Extensions (customer share).
Here is a list of the apps which i've found that have support for it:

Password:
1Password (free, with in-app purchase 9,99 dollar once)
(Safari, activate in the bottom row by sliding and pressing 'more')
Will allow form filling for login names and passwords
LastPass for Premium Customers (free, with in-app purchase 11,99 dollar per year)
While browsing in Safari and launching the LastPass extension, use the Touch ID prompt to authorize LastPass to fill a web login. Only available on supported devices with Touch ID enabled.

Cloud Storage:
Dropbox (free) (within Photos app the share limitation is set to 1 Photo :(

E-mail client:
Apple's Mail (within Photos app the share limitation is set to 5 Photos :(
You can however copy in Photos app 20 photos and then paste them into an e-mail in the Mail app

Gmail (free) (within Photos app the share limitation is set to 20 Photos :(
myMail (free)

Social networks:
Facebook (free) (within Photos app the share limitation is set to 10 Photos :(
LinkedIn (free)
Twitter (free)
Hootsuite (free)
Twitterific 5 for Twitter (free, with in-app purchases)
Buffer for Twitter & Social Media Scheduling (free)
Google+ (free)
Pinterest (free)
(Safari, activate in the middle row by sliding and pressing 'more')
Findery: Discover and share destinations (free)

Chat:
WhatsApp (free) (within Photos app the share limitation is set to 10 Photos :(
WeChat (free)
Facebook messenger (free)
Snapchat (free)
Viber (free, in-app purchases)
imo free video calls and chat (free)
TigerText Secure Messaging for Business (free)
Group Text! (2,99 dollar)
Typetalk
Slack (free)

Photo:
Flickr (free) (within Photos app the share limitation is set to 10 Photos :(
Tumblr (free)
Storehouse (free)
Camera Plus (1,99 dollar, with in-app purchases)
VSCO Cam (free, with in-app purchases)
ImageDrain (free)
ViewExif (0,99 dollar)
EyeEm (free)

Video:
Vimeo (free)
iMovie (4,99 dollar)
Remote Media Manager (AMStreamer) (free)
Video & TV Cast for Chromecast (free, with in-app purchases)

News:
Instapaper (free, with in-app purchases)
Will allow adding websites to your Instapaper list.
Pocket (free, with in-app purchases)
FlipBoard (free)

Internet Browsers:
Chrome (free)
Bing Search (free)
Opera Mini (not working in iOS8.3)
InBrowser (free)
Web Translator Browser (free, with in-app purchase)
View Source (0,99 dollar)

Lists/Notes:
Evernote (free, with in-app purchases)
AnyList (free)
Wunderlist (free, with in-app purchases)
Microsoft OneNote for iPhone (free)

Other categories:
Things for iPhone (9,99 dollar) | iPad (19,99 dollar)
Asana (free)
OmniFocus 2 for iPhone (19,99 dollar) | iPad (39,99 dollar)
Day One (4,99 dollar)
Transmit (9,99 dollar)
Weafo (1,99 dollar)
Pinner for Pinboard (4,99 dollar)
Scanner Pro (2,99 dollar)
Storage Made Easy Cloud File Manager (free)
Workflow (2,99 dollar)
Learnist (free)
ExtDownload
WhatFont (free)
AirStash+

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed that are still so few apps that support Extensions (customer share).
Here is a list of the apps which i've found that have support for it:

Facebook (free)
LinkedIn (free)
Twitter (free)
Twitterific 5 for Twitter (free, with in-app purchases)
Buffer for Twitter & Social Media Scheduling (free)
Flickr (free)
FlipBoard (free)
Tumblr (free)
EyeEm (free)
Storehouse (free)
Instapaper (free, with in-app purchases)
Will allow adding websites to your Instapaper list.
1Password (free, with in-app purchase)
(Safari, activate in the bottom row by sliding and pressing 'more')
Will allow form filling for login names and passwords
Pinterest (free)
(Safari, activate in the middle row by sliding and pressing 'more')
Things for iPhone (9,99 dollar) | iPad (19,99 dollar)
LastPass for Premium Customers (11,99 dollar)
While browsing in Safari and launching the LastPass extension, use the Touch ID prompt to authorize LastPass to fill a web login. Only available on supported devices with Touch ID enabled.
Pocket (free, with in-app purchases)
Gmail (free)
Microsoft OneNote for iPhone (free)
Vimeo (free)
Evernote (free, with in-app purchases)
AnyList (free)
Wunderlist (free, with in-app purchases)
Asana (free)
Dropbox (free)
OmniFocus 2 for iPhone (19,99 dollar) | iPad (39,99 dollar)
Day One (4,99 dollar)
Transmit (9,99 dollar)
iMovie (4,99 dollar)
Pinner for Pinboard (4,99 dollar)
Camera Plus (1,99 dollar, with in-app purchases)
Scanner Pro (2,99 dollar)
Findery: Discover and share destinations (free)
Snapchat (free)
imo free video calls and chat (free)
TigerText Secure Messaging for Business (free)
Group Text! (2,99 dollar)
Storage Made Easy Cloud File Manager (free)
Web Translator Browser (free, with in-app purchase)
Bing Search (free)
VSCO Cam (free, with in-app purchases)
Workflow (2,99 dollar)
Learnist (free)
ExtDownload
ViewExif (0,99 dollar)
View Source (0,99 dollar)
WhatFont (free)
ImageDrain (free)
Remote Media Manager (AMStreamer) (free)
Video & TV Cast for Chromecast (free, with in-app purchases)

I do love that the Gmail app support it so i can add more then five photos to an e-mail at once via my Photos app. The mail app for some reason has a limitation to 5 photos or otherwise you need to handle it one by one via the Mail app (and then you can have more then 5 attached) :(

You can send up to 20 photos on one Gmail email. Average size.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any ideas why developers are so slow to adopt the new extension APIs? Popular photo apps like VSCO and Facetune, for example, are ideal for this as well as the countless Twitter clients.

Camera+ does, and ProCamera 8 will in their next update.

pacorob

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Add G00Gle Chrome to the list. Last update yesterday included it. Can use 1password with Chrome now.

I just added it to my list.

You can send up to 20 photos on one Gmail email. Average size.

I wasn't aware that Gmail had a maximum but it's still a lot better then the 5 with the standard Mail app (as far as the Share Extension via the Photos app is concerned).

Do you mean apps that appear with the share feature?

Yes we mean apps that use the Extensions features since iOS8 so e.g. the 'share' feature.
See also: developer.apple.com/app-extensions/

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I just added it to my list.

I wasn't aware that Gmail had a maximum but it's still a lot better then the 5 with the standard Mail app (as far as the Share Extension via the Photos app is concerned).

Yes we mean apps that use the Extensions features since iOS8 so e.g. the 'share' feature.
See also: developer.apple.com/app-extensions/

The 20 photos are sent on one email in the stock mail app. It's not just 5. Not Gmail anyways. It may be a few less if the images are very large. But I've sent emails with 20 photos many times. It works on my Comcast and iCloud accounts as well.

pacorob

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
The 20 photos are sent on one email in the stock mail app. It's not just 5. Not Gmail anyways. It may be a few less if the images are very large. But I've sent emails with 20 photos many times. It works on my Comcast and iCloud accounts as well.

I cannot send more then 5 photos if i go to the Photos app and then select more then 5 photos (small or large) then the share button for the Mail app simply is gone. I do know that you can add more then 5 photos if you use the Mail app and then add/attached the photos but then you have to select it one by one :concern:.

I'm using iOS8.3 on iPhone 5s and 8.2 on iPad mini2.

WhatsApp has been updated btw with a share extension feature.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I cannot send more then 5 photos if i go to the Photos app and then select more then 5 photos (small or large) then the share button for the Mail app simply is gone. I do know that you can add more then 5 photos if you use the Mail app and then add/attached the photos but then you have to select it one by one :concern:.

Maybe it's just from the photos app where the limit is 5. But that is a limitation of the photos app, and not the mail app. You could add 20 individually to mail or use other apps. But you can add and send 20 photos. I use a photo album app called MyPhoto. I use it mostly as a utility tool. But I have albums that I sometimes email photos from. I do 20 per email. At one time, I had sent 54 emails with 20 pics on each. When my wife got her iPhone 5c, she had no way to move her 600 photos from her little LG Enlighten to the iPhone. So I emailed them 20 per email to her iPhone. The 5 limit has to be the photos app.

robbrick

Dec 12, 2003
www.dimensiondvd.com

Usually, if I want to send more than the allotted limit of photos with the 'share sheet' I select the photos from the thumbnail screen and select COPY and PASTE them into an email. Works like a charm. Also, I believe Apple limited that for the carriers to not overload their networks.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Usually, if I want to send more than the allotted limit of photos with the 'share sheet' I select the photos from the thumbnail screen and select COPY and PASTE them into an email. Works like a charm. Also, I believe Apple limited that for the carriers to not overload their networks.

I do the copy and paste too for small numbers. I keep a lot of photos on MyPhoto. From there I do 20 at a time.
Here I have marked 20 images, then tap "mail" and the 20 go on an email and I enter the address and subject then send.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429751611.098316.jpg

pacorob

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site

That is a great tip. Thanks! So stupid that i didn't think of that.

I still do think that you should leave it to the user how many photos they (try) to attach to an e-mail via the Mail, Gmail, Facebook, WhatsApp or whatever app you try to use or with a limit but definitely not 5,10 or 20.

I also noticed that WhatsApp and Facebook seem to be limited to 10 photos when using the sharesheet. After that the icons also disappear (as with the Apple Mail app but then with more then 5). It seems that 'Save to Dropbox' is even limited to 1 photo if you use the Photos app :concern:
I added these amount limits as a remark in my previous Extensions list.

I do the copy and paste too for small numbers. I keep a lot of photos on MyPhoto. From there I do 20 at a time.
Here I have marked 20 images, then tap "mail" and the 20 go on an email and I enter the address and subject then send.

I did take a look at MyPhoto and looks great with the features it has but it seems it doesn't have the look/feel yet of the iOS7/8.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That is a great tip. Thanks! So stupid that i didn't think of that.

I still do think that you should leave it to the user how many photos they (try) to attach to an e-mail via the Mail, Gmail, Facebook, WhatsApp or whatever app you try to use or with a limit but definitely not 5,10 or 20.

I also noticed that WhatsApp and Facebook seem to be limited to 10 photos when using the sharesheet. After that the icons also disappear (as with the Apple Mail app but then with more then 5). It seems that 'Save to Dropbox' is even limited to 1 photo if you use the Photos app :concern:
I added these amount limits as a remark in my previous Extensions list.

I did take a look at MyPhoto and looks great with the features it has but it seems it doesn't have the look/feel yet of the iOS7/8.

That's what I like about it. I still prefer the look of iOS 6 to 7 and 8. But my point was 20 images per email in the mail app.

John105

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
App-extension have many type, you can find from Apple developer site.
Custom keyboard also an extension type..

Types of App Extensions
By providing more sharing options, iOS 8 and OS X enable your app to share photos, videos, websites, and other content with users on social networks and other sharing services.
Photo Editing
Embed your filters and editing tools directly into the Photos or Camera app, so users can easily apply your effects to images and videos.
File Provider
You can now provide a document storage location that can be accessed by other apps. Apps that use a document picker view controller can open files managed by the storage provider or move files into the storage provider.
Document Provider
If you offer remote storage of a user’s iOS documents, you can create an app extension that lets users directly upload and download documents in any compatible app.
Today
Your apps can now display widgets in the Today view of Notification Center, providing quick updates or enabling brief tasks — for example, posting updates on package deliveries, the latest surf reports, or breaking news stories.
Custom Keyboard
With iOS 8, you can provide custom keyboards with different input methods and layouts for users to install and use systemwide.
Actions
Create your own custom action buttons in the Action sheet to let users watermark documents, add something to a wish list, translate text to a different language, and more.
Finder Sync
Badge local OS X folders to let users know the status of items that are remotely synced. You can also implement contextual menus to let users directly manage their synced content.

pacorob

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
App-extension have many type, you can find from Apple developer site.
Custom keyboard also an extension type..

For now this topic was mostly related to share, photo editing and actions.

I think for the overview the Today widgets (which has already a separate topic) and Custom Keyboards should be left in a separate forum topic.

Last edited:

John105

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
For now this topic was mostly related to share, photo editing and actions.

I think for the overview the Today widgets (which has already a separate topic) and Custom Keyboards should be left in a separatel forum topic.
That's Apple define it.
Yes, maybe custom keyboard is biggest extension and need to separate.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods