"Notes" field on Contacts app is not displaying full notes; any solution?

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello -

When viewing a contact that does not contain a note, the Note field is displayed showing a lite grey "Notes" heading, and an empty field.

However, when viewing a contact does does contain a note, the "Notes" heading is missing, and only the first few lines of the note is displayed. Tapping "edit" or tapping inside the note itself does not reveal the whole note. The only way I have found to display the entire note is to tap within the field, and then click the "delete" key. Once a character is removed, the entire note is displayed.

This is obviously a pain. Has anyone else seen this behavior, and is there a way to fix it?

I have an iPhone 6, running the most recent iOS, and sync contacts with iCloud. The full note is displayed when viewing iCloud on the web.

Thanks in advance.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I also use Notes on quite a few of my contacts and do not have the issue your describing. As others has suggested, try a hard reboot by holding your power button ALONG with the home button down together at the same time till you see the Apple logo. Then release both and let the phone come back up.

Hopefully that'll do the trick for ya.

BSUNesto

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I've never experienced this in notes, but I have experienced it before multiple times in other apps. For example, I use Yesware to track read receipts in email. The only way to track them from mobile is to send an email from their app. On numerous times I've started an email in the mail.app and then realized I want to send it from the Yesware app. I'll copy the entire email, say 300 characters, open the Yesware app and paste the text there. Sometimes the entire email shows correctly, sometimes it'll only show maybe 100 characters. If I select a character from the text that is showing and delete it, the other 200 characters show up. But the moment I try to retype the deleted character, the other 200 characters disappear again.

Nerd

GadgetGuru72

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the comments, but I have already tried the hard reset and it didn't help. I even tried recreating one of the problematic contacts from scratch and the same problem the contacts notes occurs every time.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

A_rajesh

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I recently switched for iPhone 5 to 6+, and I see this same issue with my new iPhone 6+, anyone found any work around for this?
PS: Restarting didn't help.

Thanks,
Raj

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Are these contacts iCloud contacts, Exchange contacts, Gmail contacts, etc???

That might help determine the issue

mpvincent

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I have see this issue for a while now and am only now researching it because the issue is getting more annoying... I have iPhone 6 and am up to day with the latest updates from Apple bt the issue is the same. This was not always the case but started a few months back and has not gone away. I have tried to rest and reboot AND to remove all my contacts and re-import... No progress. Any ideas out there on this? I began with exchange contacts, migrated them all to icloud and Google contacts. Neither source seems to address the issue. It seems to be the phone display itself. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have see this issue for a while now and am only now researching it because the issue is getting more annoying... I have iPhone 6 and am up to day with the latest updates from Apple bt the issue is the same. This was not always the case but started a few months back and has not gone away. I have tried to rest and reboot AND to remove all my contacts and re-import... No progress. Any ideas out there on this? I began with exchange contacts, migrated them all to icloud and Google contacts. Neither source seems to address the issue. It seems to be the phone display itself. any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried deleting the contacts and entering them back manually without the migration stuff? Just do one at a time and see how it goes. Otherwise, unless someone has a better idea, I would call Apple Support.

mpvincent

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I tried deleting one note and adding it back and no change. the notes are there in outlook but on the phone they are not there. Also, above the user says by editing and saving the note it would then display. For me the whole note disappeared in Outlook and I had to recover my contact from my last backup... NOT A VIABLE WORKAROUND...

mpvincent

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I tried editing and saving the note as described... My iPhone then sync'd back and deleted the whole note from the contact in Outlook. I had to recover my contact from my last backup...
NOT A VIABLE WORKAROUND...

100hugos

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem: All the content in the Notes field missing in some of my iPhone contacts - very annoying.
The problem seemed to be related to the Facebook app accessing the iPhone Contacts.

The solution was to turn off Facebook access to Contacts:
Settings > Facebook > "Allow these apps to use your account" OFF for Contacts.

Lo and behold, Notes field content returns.
Maybe give that a crack ...

Empire895

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I have been having nightmare issues with my iPhone 6 and NOTES are a major ISSUE that is not being resolved by Apple...

How the hell are we in the year 2016 and Apple can't hire competent programmers that actually fully TEST their crap before they sell it to the public...oh that's right...we don't care we would rather just gobble up the newest technology as fast as they force feed it to us.

It must STOP!!

Apple and all Tech companies, well ALL companies in general care only about the bottom line and could care less about the end user as long as we keep buying the new stuff as they pump it out faster and faster.....

NOTES Not working is a MAJOR issue that needs to be addressed.

I am beyond frustrated with this crap lately so sorry for my rant but damn....I feel a little better....

but I can't save a note about this in my contacts.....

SIGH

Ima Done

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
I have been having nightmare issues with my iPhone 6 and NOTES are a major ISSUE that is not being resolved by Apple...

How the hell are we in the year 2016 and Apple can't hire competent programmers that actually fully TEST their crap before they sell it to the public...oh that's right...we don't care we would rather just gobble up the newest technology as fast as they force feed it to us.

It must STOP!!

Apple and all Tech companies, well ALL companies in general care only about the bottom line and could care less about the end user as long as we keep buying the new stuff as they pump it out faster and faster.....

NOTES Not working is a MAJOR issue that needs to be addressed.

I am beyond frustrated with this crap lately so sorry for my rant but damn....I feel a little better....

but I can't save a note about this in my contacts.....

SIGH
I read that you need to turn your Wi-Fi on when typing notes. Did it and it works. It's stupid and they need to fix it.

Beesrus1

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
Hello -

When viewing a contact that does not contain a note, the Note field is displayed showing a lite grey "Notes" heading, and an empty field.

However, when viewing a contact does does contain a note, the "Notes" heading is missing, and only the first few lines of the note is displayed. Tapping "edit" or tapping inside the note itself does not reveal the whole note. The only way I have found to display the entire note is to tap within the field, and then click the "delete" key. Once a character is removed, the entire note is displayed.

This is obviously a pain. Has anyone else seen this behavior, and is there a way to fix it?

I have an iPhone 6, running the most recent iOS, and sync contacts with iCloud. The full note is displayed when viewing iCloud on the web.

Thanks in advance.

Beesrus1

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I have same problem on Iphone5 ,can't read notes in contacts only shows part of note and nothing, rest of notes added lower can't access them either , after updating phone . Sept 21/2016 thanks if anyone has a solution .

Orange Rose

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I think I finally solved this mystery after considerable searching and joining this group only so I could respond. Check out https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202158 on size limits for iCloud contacts, among other things. While I was unable to verify the actual size of the Contact whose note section was not showing on my old iPhone 5, now essentially an iPodTouch as I have a newer iPhone 6 Plus that wasn't adversely affected, I removed some of the text in the iCloud note section and voila - the remaining full note section text now shows in my iPhone 5 Contacts.

So, those still struggling with this problem, try reducing the content of your note in the affected Contact and see whether it solves your problem. I hope it does and that it continues to be the answer to my problem!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice