Apple applications.

RobbyRob

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
So, I don't post much, but I lurk around and learn. My question to everyone is how many people use all the apple apps? I have been slowly winging myself off the Google apps coming from android, but I am finding it hard to switch fully over. I am a minimalist and like to use the apps built into the operating system as I find they provide the most integrated experience. Has anyone switched fully over to the default apps from gmail, Google maps and other google services? Am I going to be missing anything doing this?

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't use them all but I use a lot of them. For me apps like Safari and Pages are part of the appeal of going into the Apple ecosystem.

I still use Gmail but mostly for junk mails and such. My iCloud addy is just for Apple-related stuff and close friends/family (everyone else I run through facebook). Work I do on company provided email.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I make out fine and don't use any Google Apps. I'm Ali apple and I use Microsoft apps for office.

That's how I roll, too. MSOffice is the lone exception to "all Apple" for me.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1 - you know, the version BEFORE they totally borked the app.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I use 15 of the Apple apps, 4 Gmail accounts, YouTube (not a tube person, so don't use it much), and Google Translate. I use a lot of Readdle apps.

Sent from my ancient iPhone 5 (no longer trustworthy)

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I use both
Google Now
Google Maps
YouTube
Google Drive
Google +

Apple
Stock email app (Gmail)
Safari
Weather
And a bunch of others

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Maps for general map usage but Garmin for actual navigation, Readdle Calendar5 (on the built-in calendar's database syncing via GMail), my contacts sync via GMail, Safari bookmarks sync via iCloud to my desktop Firefox with Apple's Firefox add-on (and is the main reason I don't use Palemoon instead of FF - this add-on does not work in PM).

Music/video/photos are synced via iTunes on my desktop not OTA through any service except podcasts, which are downloaded from iTunes online directly to my iPhone via Apple's Podcast app. I have eBooks in both iBooks and Nook software. With maybe one exception, the difference in management there for me is free vs purchased. I like my media to be cross-platform, so I refuse to buy eBooks from the iBook store, but iBooks has better rendering of the ePub format and better e-bookshelf management.

I use Microsoft Office and despite Apple claims otherwise, iWorks is NOT truly compatible so I use MS Word and Excel on my iOS devices, accessing OneDrive for most of the files I need, Dropbox was just added, I keep some there for other activities. Not really covered by your question, but I use Readdle PDF Expert for PDF files

The only real sticky bit in my setup is maps. IMO, Apple Maps still sucks. Last time I checked, it still has multiple addresses and businesses that I know of misplaced by as much as a mile, sometimes on the wrong side of a divided roadway. But there is no way to tap an address in, say, Contacts or from Safari and open it in anything other than Apple Maps. One of the reasons I use Calendar5 is that it has a setting to open appointment addresses in Google Maps instead of Apple Maps (CalenGoo has that same feature). So for most applications, if I want to map the address I have to copy it and manually open GMaps or Garmin and paste the address into the search. I do it because Apple Maps simply sucks.

hatchettjack

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I've just switched to Apple maps and it's working pretty good! If it holds up I will delete my last Google app!

Sent from my  6+

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Only Apple apps I use are Safari, Mail, and Music. The only reason I use these is because Apple won't allow us to change the default apps. I still use Google Maps despite not being able to select it as default. Also use Google app for most search activities. For cloud storage, notes, and office apps, I use Microsoft apps.

RobbyRob

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
@diggity you make a good point about the default apps. That's mostly why I want to use all the apple apps is the default integration. Let's hope they improve the maps a little bit sometime soon.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I don't use any Apple services. Google Maps remains unbeatable. I use Microsoft services for everything else.