iPhone 6+ renamed itself

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Today I tried to tether a Windows laptop (Win7) to my 6+ running iOS 8.1.2 (stock). I noticed the small orange/yellow shape over the WiFi status icon in the system tray, and upon further investigation, only saw one network.

Now I was expecting to see one network at minimum - mine that was based upon the iPhone 6+'s name. But the name I expected wasn't there, and instead the generic "iPhone" without quotes.

I do not remember renaming my phone at all. I could have of course done this and completely forgotten, but am certain that is not the case. Now its been a few weeks since I used tethering, but prior to the holidays, connecting the same Windows laptop to the same iPhone 6+ (different name) worked perfectly fine.

I had a naming convention of "name6+" without quotes. Unless the "+" character is unsupported, and why would it all of a sudden be since its worked perfectly fine that way for months; it feels like a bug just popped up.

The thread below references a similar situation with OS X 10.10. I've seen this happen with older OS X versions.

Is there an iOS 8.1.x bug (didn't get any obvious clues when searching around), or am I imagining things?

http://forums.imore.com/os-x-yosemite-10-10/304804-my-computer-name-changing-10-10-a.html

Last edited:

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Silly me. Just read this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6614211 and remembered that I did reset Network Settings over this past weekend to troubleshoot a SIM activation problem. Didn't realize that apparently resetting Network also resets the phone name to "iPhone" (indicated in the Apple Support Forums thread about 2/3 down the page).

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's annoying that resetting network settings resets the device name. I found out this back in September when I had to reset network settings to resolve a wifi issue and then found various instances of backups etc because of the instances of the same device with diff names. Wish it wouldn't happen!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal