''Other'' Data amount on new phone

KatMiku

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
So yesterday I got a new Silver 5s which came with 8.1, hooked it up to iTunes and installed 8.1.2 and around 10 apps ( Facebook, Messenger, Skype, Spotify, Youtube, Whatsapp, Twitch and Tumblr )
After that I went to bed and did around 30 mins of Spotify streaming, 30 mins Youtube and 1 hour chatting on Facebook and today I hook up my device to iTunes to import a few wallpapers and I see 1.3gb of ''Other'' data.

Isn't that a bit much of ''Other'' data for a 24 hour old phone with like 10 apps and 2 hours of usage ? I'm wondering if installing 8.1.2 maybe left something behind in ''Other'' and a restore would help ?
I never really checked on my iPhone 5 cause I never hooked it up to iTunes so I don't know whether 1.3gb of ''Other'' is normal, or high, or low, but it just feels kinda high for having 10 apps and using it for 2 hours last night.

I checked the apps in settings and none of them use an absurd amount of data, Facebook is in total like 110mb and Skype ( which I haven't even used yet ) is like 78mb, the rest is all below that, so what's inside the 1.3gb of ''Other'' on a 24 hour old device ?

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, defiantly not normal is the fact, that this issue causes a memory leak. All started with iOS 8.

Started with iOS 8? Really? I can remember iOS 5, and iOS 4 and struggling with the same exact problem. It's just the way the operating system works, and from what I can tell nobody knows exactly what it is. That's why it's called "Other".

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I have 5.15 GB of other. I stream news off WIFI. How can I clear up this other data on my iPhone?
If you stream a lot, it's just mostly cache file(s) from streaming and the iOS will reclaim when it needs to for something permanent... doing a backup then restoring the back-up has been know to make some of that 'other' space taken up go away... but it's really not something to worry about unless you're about to do an iOS update.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
All 3 mobile platforms have cache issues. Windows phone has a notorious "other" problem. Android caches data but has several ways to clean it. Bottom line, they all have issues in this area.