How can I tell which apps/games my son isn't using so I can free up space?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
My son's 16GB ipad 4th gen is constantly running out of space. He adds games all the time and I'm sure there are dozens he doesn't use any more. Other than the hit-or-miss battery usage thing, are there any apps out there that can tell me how much or how often an app is being used? If I ask him, he'll say he plays all of them!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings >General >Usage >Battery Usage. This will show what gsmes/apps are using the most battery. It may help to know that. It would most likely show which games he is using most. Also, delete all the games in the "app switcher". Then check the next day. Any game not there has not been opened.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I sit with my kids every so often and we go through the usage list and remove games and apps they no longer play. We keep the Game Center / iCloud data though so if they ever want to re-install a game their data is safe.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so really doesn't sound like there is a way. Wanted to see specifically "last app usage - Nov 10, 42 minutes" or something detailed.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Ok, so really doesn't sound like there is a way. Wanted to see specifically "last app usage - Nov 10, 42 minutes" or something detailed.

No. But to gain space, go after the games that take the most space. If there are games that take over 500 mb, those would have to go. The small size games of less than 50 mb are not worth fooling with, unless all his games are in that range. It's the big ones you should look at. Some games take over 1 gb of storage. Let him decide which to delete. Give him a gb limit for games. But look at it this way. It's his phone to use. It's a 16 gb. That's about 12.4 gb to start. If he runs out of space, he has to delete some stuff. Let him figure it out. It doesn't cost you anything. He'll learn that if he wants to text, play games, have photos and etc, he can't have all the games he wants. He can add more space by using Box or Dropbox for photos and videos. But that's only a temporary fix.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

IamMasterChat

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
tell him the disadvantages if he run out of space...in that way he will be responsible in downloading and deleting stuff.. by the way, how old is he?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Tell him that you are going to delete all of them from the phone and then he can redownload the ones he wants.

He probably will fess up to the ones he really uses (and has saved game stats).