iOS 8.1.1 released

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Darran, if you're in the middle of typing a text and then "send photo" in the middle of it, the text will be discarded. You have to tap "add comment" even if you were in the middle of typing text. Otherwise, it will be discarded if you decide to send just the photo.

Thanks yes I know my point is that it shouldn't just discard the unsaved text if you have text entered. It should either send the photo and leave he editable text or warn you before proceeding which will remind you to tap add comment to leave the text. It's not a big issue it's just annoying as I keep forgetting to hit add comment as in my mind I've already added a comment I just want to add the picture and send

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Darran, if you're in the middle of typing a text and then "send photo" in the middle of it, the text will be discarded. You have to tap "add comment" even if you were in the middle of typing text. Otherwise, it will be discarded if you decide to send just the photo.

Not always true. See my post above.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My messages app is starting to freeze up again. First time since updating 8.1.1.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Pale Wraith

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
So I updated about 12 hours ago and haven't noticed much of a difference. Biggest issue I had was the keyboard sometimes not popping up but so far haven't had that happen since updating. Maybe the animations are slightly faster. Not surprised I haven't noticed much of a difference as I wasn't having the issues others reported. Need a couple more days before I can get a good idea of any possible change in battery life.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
My messages app is starting to freeze up again. First time since updating 8.1.1.

Led, I just thought of this because on a very rare occasion my daughter would have an issue with freezes and closing out of text/imessage.....the cause of it is because she has tooooo many text/iMessages saved causing her memory to be low as well as storage. She'll then go through delete old unwanted crap and the issue is gone.

I know you have an "old" trusty 5, but just something I thought of that may help you out.....although I have to say you've probably trouble shot this already....

tapped out by my P!NK fingers on my GORGEOUS GOLD 5S

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I've tested this on a few different iPhones now and I honestly believe you're not doing exactly as I am.

Take a picture with the camera app

Then open a new message and start typing

Tap the camera icon on the left of the message box

**DO NOT TAP PHOTO LIBRARY OR TAKE PHOTO**

The photo you took earlier should be displayed as a thumbnail

Tap this thumbnail and a tick will appear in the lower right of the thumbnail to show its selected.

Tap send photo and the photo will send but any previously uncommitted text is discarded.

**DO NOT GO INTO PHOTOS AND CAMERA ROLL**

Sorry for the boring posts...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Darran you should seriously consider sending feedback to Apple on this. If you think it's counterintuitive other users may feel the same way.
I sent feedback on reachability and moving apps. Double tapping the home button lowers the screen to make things easier to reach one handed.
On the home screen apps won't "jiggle" while in reachability to be moved and reachability doesn't work while apps are jiggling.
So I sent feedback to Apple as a feature enhancement. When iOS 7 came out I sent feedback on the accept decline buttons when a call comes in. They were rectangular just looked unattractive to me and it was changed. Not by just my feedback but there must have been possibly thousands or millions of users that felt the same way.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Led, I just thought of this because on a very rare occasion my daughter would have an issue with freezes and closing out of text/imessage.....the cause of it is because she has tooooo many text/iMessages saved causing her memory to be low as well as storage. She'll then go through delete old unwanted crap and the issue is gone.

I know you have an "old" trusty 5, but just something I thought of that may help you out.....although I have to say you've probably trouble shot this already....

I keep my messsges deleted. I do keep several threads open. Most are empty. And not many. Maybe 15 threads. All but 3 are empty. I do use SwiftKey. It's only happened once since updating. I'm not sure what sets it off.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I keep my messsges deleted. I do keep several threads open. Most are empty. And not many. Maybe 15 threads. All but 3 are empty. I do use SwiftKey. It's only happened once since updating. I'm not sure what sets it off.

Ok. It was just an idea I had that maybe could've helped

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've tested this on a few different iPhones now and I honestly believe you're not doing exactly as I am.

Tap this thumbnail and a tick will appear in the lower right of the thumbnail to show its selected.

Tap send photo and the photo will send but any previously uncommitted text is discarded.

That's exactly how I do it. Just did the same thing before typing this to test it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I do exactly that, but my text message does not vanish until I tap "Send".

CDG

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I do exactly that, but my text message does not vanish until I tap "Send".

Mine doesn't vanish either but it doesn't go with the picture either. I have to SEND separately for the message. Is this how yours is?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Wow I'm not sure how mine is acting so different haha. It's really annoying. I'd expect it to work like yours is so that's good that it's not everyone affected.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I'VE FOUND THE BUG!!

The reason it's retaining your text is because you're trying this in a message that already has content! Try this in a new message where the thread is blank.

I just tried this with a friend and it kept the text because I'd already text to that person within that chat. Try it on a blank chat, do it to yourself as it's unlikely you've been messaging yourself!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal