After using third party keyboards since the launch I am back to stock...

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have been using third party keyboards since iOS was official launched. I have tried most of them.

Yesterday I decided it was time to go back to the stock keyboard. In my opinion the third party keyboard sdk's are not strict enough.

In some apps they would block data on the screen, they would cause some apps to lock up when the keyboard would come up. Just too many things to overlook.

For me the 2 biggest features I miss from the third party ones are:

Showing the case when typing
Quick access to numbers and punctuation (press and hold to get the other characters)

With that, what features would you like to see Apple implement in the stock keyboard?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I agree with some of the issues with using the 3rd party keyboards. SwiftKey is what I use most. The stock keyboard would work just fine if they would make it legible. I can't see it very well. Especially the top predictive words. I have to strain to see the text. Otherwise, it's ok. Apple should offer a dark theme for the keyboard. But like iOS 7, things are hard to see. So I use SwiftKey for the dark keyboard. I can actually read everything with ease. It also is working extremely well at remembering my usage. I can type many things by typing only words. The stock may do that well too. But, dang, it's an eyesore. They should at least put dark text on the predictive words.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree third party key boards are buggy. I would like to see long press for digits and trace like Swype.

Sent from my wrapped in leather iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree totally, bamf. I played with a couple of the 3rd party keyboards and found them to be at best, a novelty. If they work for you, great. But I?m sticking with the stock keyboard.

How would I like Apple to change the stock keyboard? Hmmm. I?m using an iPhone 6 Plus, so space it not a really critical point. And I really like the iPhone 6 Plus landscape keyboard. Therefore:

• Add and extra row of keys for the numbers across the top.
  • I can live with the current setup for basic punctuation (period, comma, question mark) using the shifted keys.
  • Changing the keys to reflect the current case would be nice.
  • Add an option for light/dark keyboard in Settings to work across the iOS.

The_colombian

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Swift key says it's not on them. It has to do with permissions and other stuff. The claims Apple fixed it with IOS 8 but it still happens.
67f77bcab4d99a09164c441826177c25.jpg

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The main reason I like the Apple keyboard is because when typing I usually want to do it quick, I don't want to, mess around with what keyboard I'm using. Just want it to work, I don't need to save my dictionary or predictions to anyone's servers I just want to be able to type everything and not have to worry about what goes where.

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Tried Swiftkey on the iPad. Don't bother, doesn't work on iPad. Only one key at a time, no swyping with that keyboard on the iPad. Only works with iPhone n iPod. Wished they update it to work on iPad because I really like it---oh well s!#t happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I loved Swiftkey on Android but not on iOS so much. I've tried a couple of others for fun but the stock for me is so much improved I don't see a reason to mess with the other ones now anyway. I used to get frustrated that the suggestions on the stock keyboard would disappear but now I realize that you can make them appear and reappear when you want which I think is great.

crankerchick

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't loved the third party keyboards in iOS due to bugs as well. The developers claim a good bit of the bugs are in the iOS, and I'm inclined to believe this since many of the bugs I see persist across different keyboards. The most notable one is the keyboard falling to come up at all. I have to leave the app and get to an app that brings up the keyboard and then switch to the stock keyboard.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I had big hopes for fleksy. I could be really fast on that keyboard but it is laggy and needs some work.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
One thing that would help would be a long press on the globe to switch keyboards. I get tired of tapping it by mistake, then it goes wild. A long press to switch would stop that.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been using third party keyboards since iOS was official launched. I have tried most of them.

Yesterday I decided it was time to go back to the stock keyboard. In my opinion the third party keyboard sdk's are not strict enough.

In some apps they would block data on the screen, they would cause some apps to lock up when the keyboard would come up. Just too many things to overlook.

For me the 2 biggest features I miss from the third party ones are:

Showing the case when typing
Quick access to numbers and punctuation (press and hold to get the other characters)

With that, what features would you like to see Apple implement in the stock keyboard?

I'm the same.... The stock I keyboard is the best... Nothing better than it...it's simple, fluid,does the job right

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I tried the changing case on keys to match the shift when I was jail broken. I actually hated it and thought it was extremely distracting while typing. However I wouldn't care if it was an option for the keyboard.

Well, we are creatures of habit. While showing the case on the keyboard sounds like a good change, it could be somewhat unsettling after all these years in iOS. :)

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Well, we are creatures of habit. While showing the case on the keyboard sounds like a good change, it could be somewhat unsettling after all these years in iOS. :)

The main reason for show case is password input

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried a couple of third party keyboards when I first got my iPhone 6 but experienced too many bugs. I've decided to stick with the stock keyboard which works well for me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711