After using third party keyboards since the launch I am back to stock...

kjparfekt

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Even stock is buggy for me. My short cut for my email address freezes safari every time. I'm constantly closing apps and reopening to fix keyboard issues.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
If they were able to fix a couple of things in the Swype keyboard I would definitely use it over the stock. I would like to be able to use it on the lockscreen when replying to a message. It also doesn't allow for voice dictation and is limited on the emojis. It only shows one. Until these issues are fixed in going to have to use the stock keyboard.

Sent from my Space Grey, 128 GB, iPhone 6 Plus (that took 5 weeks to ship to me through AT&T) using Tapatalk

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the general sentiment. I used Swype since it was released and over time, I just never got used to it. I don't really experience any of the bugs that bother some folks, but the keyboards themselves just feel poorly programmed. Swype's prediction is terrible compared to what I remember on Android, I had to try 3 or 4 times sometimes before it got the right word. It also doesn't seem to 'learn' my most often used words.

I hoped that 3rd party keyboards would make me faster at one-handed typing, but having to correct all the time just slowed me down. Apple's keyboard has improved substantially, so I'm happy using it until 3rd parties can improve on their offerings.

nmburns

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have tried most of the 3rd party ones as well and also moved back to the stock keyboard. I loved being able to text one-handed with the apps, but I just could not get used to how difficult it was to add emoticons into text messages. I also hated how the layouts for the numbers and symbols were different from the stock keyboard - it made typing take that much longer because I had to re familiarize myself every time I had to use a number or symbol.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I removed Swype off of my Air but I'm still sticking it out with my 5C. In all honesty though, I probably use the native keyboard more so than Swype on my iPhone now a days just because sometimes I feel I can type faster than swiping, and other day vise versa.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I removed Swype off of my Air but I'm still sticking it out with my 5C. In all honesty though, I probably use the native keyboard more so than Swype on my iPhone now a days just because sometimes I feel I can type faster than swiping, and other day vise versa.
In my experience, I have always been able to thumb type faster than using a gesture type keyboard. I like gesture typing better when I use the phone with one hand. That seems to be an easier process. But I found that action to be easier achieved on the iPhone 5S because of it's smaller size.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find the stock keyboard too difficult to see and read. Apple should make the print on the predictive words darker. I have to strain to see. So I use SwiftKey and the dark theme. Much easier on my eyes.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

DS1331

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
They really restricted the 3rd party keyboards in iOS. Android versions are 100 times better, yeah they let them in the app store but they tool away alot of features from both of them I guess that's just same old apple for you. I don't like that ****.

Swift key is the best but there is no key typing sounds or vibration when typing.its stupid

JobSteves

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been using third party keyboards since iOS was official launched. I have tried most of them.

Yesterday I decided it was time to go back to the stock keyboard. In my opinion the third party keyboard sdk's are not strict enough.

In some apps they would block data on the screen, they would cause some apps to lock up when the keyboard would come up. Just too many things to overlook.

For me the 2 biggest features I miss from the third party ones are:

Showing the case when typing
Quick access to numbers and punctuation (press and hold to get the other characters)

With that, what features would you like to see Apple implement in the stock keyboard?

The reasons why I continue to use the stock keyboard, other than the fact that I think it's beautifully designed, is the fact that it actually has a microphone, keyboard shortcuts, and that keyboard click. Oh and it's word prediction is actually really smart/useful/learns really fast.

Also I'm jailbroken and used to have the tweak showcase but I guess I'm just used to the stock keyboard always being caps because I hated the lowercase on the keyboard.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
OK so I am back to a third party keyboard... I am using Fleksy now and so far so good. It has the best integration with the device and the keyboard does not cover stock ui elements on forms etc.

Its own autocorrect is pretty solid and I am able to type much faster than on stock. Not saying I will be keeping it up, but so far so good :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I was enjoying Swiftkey. But my messages app kept freezing up. Don't know if Swiftkey was the reason, but I'm testing it without the SwiftKey keyboard. I really like SwiftKey better than the stock.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

mscalero

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I enjoy using Flesky as my 3rd party keyboard, however I can only use it here and there since a quarter of the time the keyboard doesn't open when I want to type. Does anyone else have this issue with 3rd party keyboards? With every keyboard I have tried, it doesn't always pop-up when needed, which completely defeats the purpose of using it.

I have a 6+ and I was just looking for an larger keyboard in landscape mode. Does anyone know if there is a 3rd party keyboard which is basically the same as the stock keyboard, except the keys are wider in landscape? I understand the convenience of the extra buttons Apple offers in landscape, but I find it much harder to type.

Would be even better if Apple just offered a "shortcut keys in landscape" toggle so you can choose to have the extra keys there or not.

Any advice?

Ertank

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
SwiftKey works for me everywhere. Let it be WhatsApp, iMessage, Tapatalk, or my bank mobile app. Even number only fields.

After upgrading to iOS 8.4 I'm pretty much satisfied with it. Using it only. Stock keyboard is for password fields only for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711