Is anyone else having personal hotspot issues with their iPad rMini & iPad Air devices?

justinkoehn

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 5s through work on Verizon with tethering. The instant hotspot feature works great with my MacBook Pro Retina and 27 inch iMac (both latest models before the refresh of the iMac a few days ago). I also have my personal iPhone 6 Plus (AT&T) that will connect to the instant hotspot with no issues. My problem starts when i try to connect to the instant hotspot with my iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air. I have tried resetting network settings, toggling various settings here and there on the devices, and even things as simple as rebooting the devices.

Both iPads are on iOS 8.1, as both of my iPhones are. Has anyone else seen anything like this? The error that pops up says "Remote Hotspot Failure; Unable to start personal hotspot on iPhone 5s"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: Is anyone else having personal hotspot issues with their iPad rMini & iPad Air devices?

I don't know what to tell you, sir. Although I do not have an iPad rMini or an Pad Air, I am able to initiate the hotspot feature on my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.1 and then connect to it via my iPad Mini without a problem. All I can think of is that somehow the passcode is not being entered correctly. Change the default hotpot passcode to a simple 4-digit passcode and then try to connect with the iPad device to see if you're successful.

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I feel your pain - my air has worked fine but alas my mini has not played ball. However, today it worked fine for the first time in a month and I couldn't tell you why. It makes me vary wary of upgrading to a wifi only iPad in the future. I hope it gets sorted for you. You are are not alone!

VolatileKid

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Same problem for me. iPad Air won't connect to the personal hotspot of iPhone. My rMBP can connect though. I sent a bug report to Apple about this

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro