Any idea what I have to tweak under iOS8.1 to send mail via a non-Apple Domain?

megability

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
For years I've been able to get incoming iCloud email, but send as from my own domains, using my own SMTP outgoing server, all with just 1 account set up, but it no longer works.

It was set up as an "other" email choice, not iCloud, and I *used* to just use "imap.mail.me.com" or alternative "p09-imap.mail.me.com" as the incoming server, and my iCloud ID and password, and it worked beautifully.

I was able to add my external domain email addresses as address options (the iCloud option won't let you) and then those would flow through to the mail app as options to send email from.

As I said, it *used* to work just fine, but no longer, any idea what I have to tweak under iOS8.1 to fix it?

Many thanks...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Great question, but unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. Hopefully, one of our knowledgable members will comment soon...:)

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely just a guess, since Apple changed the domain from me.com to icloud .com a while back, have you tried imap.mail.icloud.com?

megability

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Hank, I had not tried that yet, but I just did it does not work either ;(

Thanks Karen, but yes that's the same link I've seen for years and have worked off of, notice my IMAP link is the one suggested, but like I said it no longer works, but it *used* to before 8.1...

megability

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Turns out p99- works as a server (so p99-imap.mail.me.com) at least it doesn't crash the mail app when I try and change my "from" email address to my personal domain, but it does throw up an error box that it can't connect to iCloud about 50% of the time... frustrating.

Why can't iCloud just allow us to send using a personal domain!?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried deleting the email account from your phone, Then do a hard reset, Then add the email account back in as you have been?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

megability

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ledsteplin, I did try that too, but no luck...

Ok I found the problem, it's Apple's own 2-factor identification option.

I turned it on at about the same time I upgraded to 8.1, for greater security of course, but noticed it causing problems on other devices and not recognizing my iCloud ID sometimes too...

So, I turned it off just now and all my mail showed up again! AND I am once again able to send mail using my own domain's address as sender, rather than Apple's forced icloud.com or me.com extensions...

Last edited:

Mark Goverde

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi, a late reaction but it is possible to have 2-factor authentication and manual imap active. In your account settings of Apple you need to generate a password for other apps, that password you can use. I have both my iPad and iPhone now working with my private email address.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234