Strange Issue Trying to Update to 8.1 via iTunes

pelorick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I have a strange issue to describe. I had been trying to update my 5S and iPad mini (1st. gen) to 8.1. I always do my updates via iTunes. However, since last night, every time I tried to update, the status was displaying over two hours. I figured that was understandable yesterday, given it was the release date, but didn't think it would be the same tonight. I realized that the update is only approx. 128 MB. After several attempts, I just decided to do it OTA, which it did fine (and in a very short period of time). I'm not saying that either device would not have updated via iTunes, but does anyone have any ideas as to why it would take so long? My download speeds are close to 85 mbps, so it's not a speed issue. Additionally, the OTA update was done quickly. Both are updated, but I'm just a bit curious and concerned as to why this didn't go smoothly in iTunes.

Thank you

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
When I updated via iTunes, the update was about 2.2 Gb and it took like 40 min for me on my school's connection(I updated from 8.0.2). Maybe this was why?

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The update for 8.1 as if yesterday was only out for a short time so people are still discovering there's updates. Depending on the time you tried at, there could've been a surge at that time for people trying to update as well. I updated my 5C early, early yesterday morning at 630am US time, and it was done in 15/20 mins tops from start to end.

I think for the first few days there will be certain times Apple servers will be a bit jammed due to people still updating, but nothing to be concerned about :) your wait time was not unusual....when 8.0 came out I usb'd my 5C to iTunes at the time (and it was saying 3+hours to download😱 I disconnected and waited till the following early morning(630am US time) for the update & did it OTA that time lol.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro