iOS save WiFi networks after wipe on iCloud keychain

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I noticed something odd today after restoring my 5s to iOS 8.1 at work. I came home and it connected to my home wifi automatically.

I know someone will ask, so let's get it out of the way, I downloaded a fresh 8.1 through iTunes and SET UP AS NEW, not from a backup.

During setup at work, I connect to my work wifi and there I entered the password. I came home and my home wifi network was already connected and working.

Does iOS save these networks through iCloud? Anyone else notice this?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
That was my first thought! I have no explanation though. When I get home tonight, I am going to recreate the scenario and see what happens

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
This startled me the first time it happen to me -- I think it was when I got my 5S and set it up as new and the same thing happen. If I remember correctly I asked the same question here and the consensus was that it is the "magic" of iCloud. Pretty cool if you ask me. This time with my 6 I set it up as new as well and the first thing I did was enter my iCloud credentials and it saved me a ton of time entering accounts and passwords.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If we think it's a feature of iCloud, can anyone provide documentation? I did a quick search, returned nothing.

Any devs out there familiar with iCloud's saved data?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, I have done the exact same process as before and iOS again, connected automatically to my home wifi after a fresh install. Since I have 2 different SSIDs in my home, I selected the second one and was NOT prompted for a password and connection was successful.

I guess iOS must store wifi information in iCloud somewhere.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
It appears it is stored within KeyChain, thought it was only used for Safari.

I wiped device and did NOT turn KeyChain ON, and I was prompted for wifi password.

I wiped again and turned KeyChain ON and I was not prompted for a password, wifi just connected.

I am not sure if I like the convenience factor of this.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
You're welcome. It's good to know that KeyChain reaches beyond Safari, but I also wonder what else it saves. If only there was documentation about KeyChain specifically.