Where is hotspot in ios 8.1?

linsiris

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello
You can use your iPhone as a hotspot (if your carrier allows it or if you have a plan that allows to do that) by following these steps:
- Go to iPhone Settings --> Personal hotspot (the fifth option) There you turn it on, set a name and a password of your choice where indicated.

Now go to your iPad
1. Settings --> wifi (turn it on)
2. Select select your iphone's name from the list
3. Enter the password you previously set

And that's it :)

Airbrushkid

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Apple announced a new feature and it is called Hotspot and it is in ios 8 and you don't need to use carrier hotspot and it does cost like it would if you use the carriers hotspot.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Apple announced a new feature and it is called Hotspot and it is in ios 8 and you don't need to use carrier hotspot and it does cost like it would if you use the carriers hotspot.

Your carrier/data plan must still allow hotspot sharing for it to work.

Source: iOS: Understanding Personal Hotspot
To use this feature, enable Personal Hotspot on your cellular data plan. Contact your carrier for information and pricing.

Airbrushkid

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
This was from Rene Ritchie,

Tethering from an iPhone or iPad cellular to a Mac or iPad Wi-Fi has always been a bit of a pain. Some of that has been carriers and their cockamamie tethering plans. But some of it has always been the process which, at the best of times, required a password to be entered, and at the worst required off/on toggles or reboots to get it working consistently.

No longer.

Now your Mac or iPad Wi-Fi can instantly connect to your iPhone or iPad cellular and you can be up and using the internet in no time.

Although I haven't seen anything specific from Apple on how they're identifying known devices for tethering, based on how the rest of Continuity works my guess is you need to be logged into the same iCloud account (Apple ID) on your cellular device as you are on your Wi-Fi device. That way Apple knows they're yours and random people can't automagically leach your bandwidth.

If that's the case, and you have Bluetooth LE to pair with, your iPhone or iPad cellular will simply appear as an option in your available Wi-Fi network connections list, distinguished with Apple's linked-ring tethering icon. Connection type (e.g. LTE) and battery level will also be displayed on the Mac.

So, regardless of whether your iPhone or iPad cellular is sitting right in front of you, or is across the room in a bag, there's no password to enter, no toggles to flip, no devices to reboot. Just tap/click, connect, surf.

Rene can be wrong.

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
What if some of your devices work fine with personal hotspot (e.g. My Air) but not your other ones (my wife's mini)? Is it worth taking into an Apple Store? I have tried all the resets and off on/air plane mode tips but this device has not ever tethered properly since the IOS 8 update. Was hoping 8.1 would fix it but alas, no.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods