iOS 8.1 locked in recovery mode

Gobrown75

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded 8.1 via iTunes and my iPhone 6 got stuck in recovery mode. Been trying to fix it since 2PM and still no luck. I've tried ReiBoot, and tinyumbrella and I got nothing. When I plug my phone up to my computer it makes the sound like it's connecting but it just stays stuck on the plug in iTunes screen. Is anyone else having this problem?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To exit recovery mode, press both the power and home button until the device reboots and you see the Apple logo. Wait to see if it will boot to your home screen or go back into recovery mode where it displays the iTunes icon and the USB cord icon. If it's the latter, reinstall iTunes, even if you already have the latest version. Afterwards, restore your device.

Gobrown75

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Already tried that over and over again and it is still stuck.

To exit recovery mode, press both the power and home button until the device reboots and you see the Apple logo. Wait to see if it will boot to your home screen or go back into recovery mode where it displays the iTunes icon and the USB cord icon. If it's the latter, reinstall iTunes, even if you already have the latest version. Afterwards, restore your device.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Okay, you may have to put the device in DFU Mode and then try having iTunes install a fresh copy of iOS 8.1 or download the iOS 8.1 .ipsw file for your specific iPhone directly to your computer, and then while in DFU mode, direct iTunes to the downloaded iOS 8 .ipsw file to install it. If that doesn't work, you should make a Genius Bar appointment with the nearest Apple Store.

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem when I tried to update to iOS 8 using the GM .ipsw, but it got stuck on the boot screen and wouldn't stay connected to my Laptop long enough to do a restore. I just went to my local Apple Store and got it restored at the Genius bar without an appointment.

Roland

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Mine went in DFU mode when I was trying to update OTA. It downloaded the incremental delta file OTA, but while installing, the server wouldn't verify the update and went in DFU mode. Itunes kept telling me to restore to factory settings and I had no backup. When trying to update using itunes, it would stop at around 115 mb and ask me to restore to factory settings. I downloaded the 8.1 ipsw and then forced Itunes to update using the ipsw which was downloaded. Fortunately, it updated without losing the data. The first thing I did was backup my phone and will henceforth continue doing it every 15 days on itunes.

Gobrown75

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I had to take my phone to Apple. They were apple to get it out of recovery mode. This has never happened to me before with any other iOS update. This better not happen again with future updates lol

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
hi how did you do this process. ive updated both my iphones (5&6) both are now stuck in recovery mode.
please help

Go to:
ipsw dot me/8.1

Disclaimer: The above file has not been verified. Do a google search for 8.1 ipsw and you should get some more links.

Select appropriate file and download.

Then Connect phone to itunes.

For Windows: Shift+Click on Update tab on itunes.
For Mac: Alt/Option+Click on Update tab on itunes.

Select the downloaded ipsw file and proceed with screen instructions.

RPBKK

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi Gobrown75,

Did Apple manage to save your data or just restore your iPhone like a new/fresh install?

If they saved your data any idea of what they did?

Thanks.

Gobrown75

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi Gobrown75,

They couldn't save my data. I always back up before I install updates so I was good

Did Apple manage to save your data or just restore your iPhone like a new/fresh install?

If they saved your data any idea of what they did?

Thanks.

andcec1

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Can you help explain how you forced itunes to update using the ipsw? I am trying to do the same thing right now if possible.

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Can you help explain how you forced itunes to update using the ipsw? I am trying to do the same thing right now if possible.

For Windows: Shift+Click on Update tab on itunes.
For Mac: Alt/Option+Click on Update tab on itunes.

Select the downloaded ipsw file and proceed with screen instructions.

DawnF76

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded the file and hit shift+click on the update, but the file does not come up as an iPod file for me to choose. What do I do?

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the file and hit shift+click on the update, but the file does not come up as an iPod file for me to choose. What do I do?

You have to manually select the downloaded file from where ever it is saved on your PC. It won't come up when you keep 'shift' pressed and click on update.

Chris Heck

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I didn't read all the replys but when ever a iPhone im working on gets stuck in recovery mode or a bootloop I use tiny umbrella ....it will see your iPhone in recovery mode (when connected of course) then u can click on it then click kick from recovery ...and it will reboot the device back to normal :) let me know if this helps :D

Afterfuture

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Had the same problem, I had to keep doing a soft reset, maybe like 10 times and then I tryed restoring and upgrading through itunes and it finally worked for me. Good luck!

James Crowl

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I had this problem in my iPad Air while trying to upgrade to iOS 8.1. I was on a corporate network and tried two different computers many, many times. I even tried downloading the ipsw file and manually installing, but that failed also.

So I put my laptop onto a public network and tried one last time. Worked the first time!

jac

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR