Please explain icloud photo library to me like i'm an 8 year old, because i'm having trouble!?!

theleescott

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
one more thought, i take a photo, it syncs to icloud photo library, how to delete it from device without also deleting from icloud? there's no option???

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
one more thought, i take a photo, it syncs to icloud photo library, how to delete it from device without also deleting from icloud? there's no option???

You can't. It's all or nothing. I think the main point of IPL is for the convenience of taking a photo, editing it, placing it in an album, and it is the exact same on your other devices. Apple just didn't explain this well. I don't think it's meant to be a separate cloud storage service, but maybe I'm wrong.
Also, I think that once your phone, etc. starts running out of space it automatically starts "optimizing" photos to free up space. Again, I may be wrong though.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Quick question

If I enable iCloud photo library then my full res photos go to iCloud and my device retains optimised photos.

What if I want to email, IM etc a photo to someone from my device. Am I only able to email them the optimised copy?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Quick question

If I enable iCloud photo library then my full res photos go to iCloud and my device retains optimised photos.

What if I want to email, IM etc a photo to someone from my device. Am I only able to email them the optimised copy?

My understanding is that the full photo gets downloaded to your iPhone before editing, sharing or otherwise interacting with said photo.

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the full photo gets downloaded to your iPhone before editing, sharing or otherwise interacting with said photo.
Thank you. That would be ok.

I can see the benefit to saving space but I'd still like the opportunity to send full res photos.

Looks like it'll work for me then

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

iCloud is a back up option. It backs up what is currently on your device. It's not like Dropbox. So if something happens to your device, the photos are there in iCloud. If you want pure storage where you can delete the photos from the device, upload them to Box or Dropbox.