Just used apple pay

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I just used it a Meier- a mostly Michigan-Midwest grocery/everything store. No sign for Apple pay, but it worked fine with the regular NFC payment thing.

andrelamont

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
How would returns work...do you hand the retailer your phone for verification?

Paper receipts?

Are you given a receipt with the last 4 digits of the virtual number? What happens if the retailer asks to see the card...phone? Do I give them my phone for verification?

Saw this quote from the main site from a comm

" What happens is that when you make a purchase using Apple Pay, the device will generate a one-time use card number on the merchant network that your original card is associated with. This one-time use card number is what gets charged, but is actually valid for much longer than the transaction takes place (no less than 90 days), even if you cancel Apple Pay, get new card numbers, etc. This is for several reasons, but primarily for the ability to charge-back as well as returns. The merchant would return the funds to the virtual card used and you would see the funds in your bank account (or credit card) as normal. In fact, one thing that you will always know is the last 4 digits of the virtual card number that gets generated. This will usually be printed on the receipt as well (as it is almost always needed to do returns)."

Last edited:

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it's just like using a regular credit card. I still had to sign the screen and I got a paper receipt the one time I used it.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
You're leaving because of a fee. That's increasingly common. That's different than switching your financial institution based on a new feature your cell phone offers with a different one. I personally can't see myself going through the hassle of changing banks, setting up autopays again, changing card numbers, altering direct deposit accounts and moving funds just so I can swipe my phone to buy a burger. A cell platform can be changed with no effect on our lives aside from contact transfer. A bank is far from the same thing.

The way I see things is that if people aren't willing to challenge the way things are done regardless of inconvenience things stay stagnant. It depends on the person in whether they want to be a participant, yes but some people do like certain things. It isn't about how much influence a company has it is about that company introducing a feature that people enjoy and see as a good thing to have. Maybe if Android users pushed Google Wallet more via the stores they shopped at, more stores would accept such payment methods to gardner business. The same is true for banks. People are already willing to spend 60-100 dollars on a cell phone service rather than spending just 20 a month just to have a smartphone. My stepfather doesn't have a smartphone and he spends so much less. Does that mean Google/Apple/BlackBerry/WP has some sort of influence over me that tells me I need to spend that much every month and he is resistant to that? No. I want it because it is convenient and I deem it is worth my money regardless of any outside influence. I respect your decision that you don't see it as worth it but respectfully, putting this all on Apple and implying we are drones? That isn't fair. If people didn't push, we'd all be writing checks still. This is just the next step in my opinion. Rather than writing out everything on a piece of paper, we went to sliding a plastic card and inputting a pin number. Many people want the next step to be waving a phone and inputing a fingerprint.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I tried using Apple Pay on a vending machine that had the NFC sensor on it. It had some Mycokewards and ISIS branding on it and did not work. It took the scan, displayed "authorizing" and eventually timed out. On the App is still showed the transaction "approved" but nothing it my account.

jdhooghe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I had my first case of my phone not recognizing that it was near a CVS sensor. Maybe I didn't hold it there long enough? I used it earlier that day too at Panera Bread(I didn't like their food so I'm not going back unfortunately) so I am unsure of what happened. The NFC chip is at the top, right? Every time before the screen popped up rather quickly. Oh well, nothing is perfect. It's still extremely slick :p

EDIT: I didn't have my thumb held up against Touch ID when I held my phone up to the terminal. Is it necessary for me to do this for it to work?

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
I had my first case of my phone not recognizing that it was near a CVS sensor. Maybe I didn't hold it there long enough? I used it earlier that day too at Panera Bread(I didn't like their food so I'm not going back unfortunately) so I am unsure of what happened. The NFC chip is at the top, right? Every time before the screen popped up rather quickly. Oh well, nothing is perfect. It's still extremely slick :p

EDIT: I didn't have my thumb held up against Touch ID when I held my phone up to the terminal. Is it necessary for me to do this for it to work?

You need a thumb scan every single time.

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The pop machine (soda machine?) at my work has an NFC reader, and pulls up my card, accepts it, I make my selection, and then it declines the card. My BOA debit Visa card which I tried, twice, was not charged but my PayPal debit Mastercard got a $1.50 charge. Too much trouble to dispute it, I'd think. (I wonder what would happen if I used a straight credit card? But I have used bothe debit cards with that pop machine, swiping them...)

piranhadonna

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Tried to use it in the McDonalds drive thru but no way to reach the machine to pay. I was really looking forward to trying it out.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes. The pop machine (soda machine?) at my work has an NFC reader, and pulls up my card, accepts it, I make my selection, and then it declines the card. My BOA debit Visa card which I tried, twice, was not charged but my PayPal debit Mastercard got a $1.50 charge. Too much trouble to dispute it, I'd think. (I wonder what would happen if I used a straight credit card? But I have used bothe debit cards with that pop machine, swiping them...)

How can the PayPal MC get charged when Apple Pay does not accept PayPal MC so far, you can't load them into Apple Pay?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro