iOS 8.1 released. Feedback/Bugs Thread

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed since updating both my iPhone 6 & iPad Mini 2 to iOS 8.1, very graphic intensive websites are causing numerous safari reloads, crashes and even device resprings - I had an online chat yesterday with an AppleCare rep and her supervisor & they were able to replicate the issue on numerous devices running iOS 8.1 - I was told that they spotted an issue in my diagnostics, likely in WebKit since I have multiple crash logs for that. They were bringing it to engineers immediately and profusely thanked me for bringing it to their attention instead of just "living with the problem" - I wish Apple would see this as a prime example of why an iOS public beta would be a huge step in the right direction. OSX Yosemite has been so smooth on my MacBook Pro & I really believe its because of the public beta catching bugs that would normally go unnoticed.

Anyone else seeing this Safari bug and having issues?

Not seen it (yet). And this is exactly why a public beta of iOS is a bad idea. People who aren't qualified to identify and assist with troubleshooting will exercise their "right" to run the beta releases and the situation will be beyond unmanageable. It's a really bad idea, IMHO

iStealth

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Updated from 7.1.2 to 8.1 on iPhone 5S. I created a folder for all the new iOS apps and both times when I restarted my phone it changed the folder name to 'New folder' no other folder was affected. Once when I went to Settings>Manage Storage it just closed the window. Also once when I was in Google Drive and clicked on something it just closed Google Drive. I have never seen this happen before in my previous 6 months of using an iPhone. Also anything web related takes longer to load over WiFi than it does to load over LTE. My WiFi is 4x+ the speed of the LTE in my house and loaded webpages instantly before. I reset the network settings as someone suggested and it seemed my WiFi speeds were proper for about 5 minutes. Now my WiFi speeds on my phone just seem to be completely random. Sometimes webpages won't even load, sometimes they take longer than they should, and sometimes they load close to what they should be loading at.

Unrelated to iOS8: Oh and after updating my iOS. My iTunes had it an update, now iTunes uses 4 times the memory with less functionality. Not sure how Apple made that one possible! With my phone plugged in before and iTunes open I could view all the pages on my iPhone from iTunes, they would always be there no matter what I did in iTunes. Now if I do anything on iTunes away from the window that shows my iPhone pages and then go back it has to reload iPhone all over again!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Late 2013 MacBook retina

With Handoff make sure both devices are on the same wifi network and Bluetooth is toggled on for both devices as well. I could t figure out why mine wasn't working either but then I read an article about it and once I enabled Bluetooth it started working.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using a third party keyboard with 8.1? I am still having issues with it. Example: I re-enabled Swiftkey and it only pops up sporadically. Even in the messages app, half the time, I get Swiftkey and the other half, I get the stock keyboard. And then just now, I got a text on my screen while I was in another app and I tried to quick reply and no keyboard popped up at all. I had that issue with the previous iOS 8 versions as well. I've disabled all my third party keyboards for now and will stick with stock until they've addressed the bugs.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
can't decide to upgrade or not after reading these issues. i'm still on the fence about my iphone 6 and iOS 8

Go for it. iOS 8.1 is solid, and I recommend you set up your new iPhone 6 as new. Yes, it's an inconvenience, but the benefits, in my opinion, outweigh the inconvenience. 😉

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Go for it. iOS 8.1 is solid, and I recommend you set up your new iPhone 6 as new. Yes, it's an inconvenience, but the benefits, in my opinion, outweigh the inconvenience. 😉

Just when I got use to the Recent Added photo setup they went back to the camera roll and photo stream set up

Not that I'm complaining but the iOS 8 set up made a lot of sense to me

NYSportzNut

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Not seen it (yet). And this is exactly why a public beta of iOS is a bad idea. People who aren't qualified to identify and assist with troubleshooting will exercise their "right" to run the beta releases and the situation will be beyond unmanageable. It's a really bad idea, IMHO

No I am not a software engineer by any stretch, but I just proved why a public beta would be beneficial. I identified a bug that was obviously not caught by the developers & brought it to the attention of Apple. They verified and confirmed the issue and were going to bring it to the attention of those who are qualified. This is the point of a beta tester.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Just when I got use to the Recent Added photo setup they went back to the camera roll and photo stream set up

Not that I'm complaining but the iOS 8 set up made a lot of sense to me

I have to totally agree with you. It's easier for me to find photos/wallpapers by date.....not that I'm complaining either...SMILE

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Anyone using a third party keyboard with 8.1? I am still having issues with it. Example: I re-enabled Swiftkey and it only pops up sporadically. Even in the messages app, half the time, I get Swiftkey and the other half, I get the stock keyboard. And then just now, I got a text on my screen while I was in another app and I tried to quick reply and no keyboard popped up at all. I had that issue with the previous iOS 8 versions as well. I've disabled all my third party keyboards for now and will stick with stock until they've addressed the bugs.

I'm using Swype, and on 8.0.2 I only had the keyboard disappear on me once. So far since updating to 8.1 yesterday morning it's been fine, but even on 8.0 & 8.0.2 I was fortunate to not have any issues with it.

I tried SwiftKey but didn't like it that's why I stuck with Swype.....and honestly I use Swype for most of my messaging but I go back to the native Apple keyboard as well because I do still enjoy using it too;)

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My battery on my 6+ is still going strong. I skipped 8.0.2 & went straight to 8.1 OTA, if that makes a difference. Only issue I'm having is I've been getting the dreaded "Unable to Download" pop up today. It only happened a couple times but I'm hoping it doesn't become constant.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
With Handoff make sure both devices are on the same wifi network and Bluetooth is toggled on for both devices as well. I could t figure out why mine wasn't working either but then I read an article about it and once I enabled Bluetooth it started working.

My Bluetooth won't connect to my iPhone from the Mac. I called Apple technical care and they couldn't fix this matter. So disappointing

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen