Hand off not working

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
IVE FINALLY SOLVED IT!!!

What you're not told is this

Handoff must be turned on for both devices.

Bluetooth must be on for both devices.

The most important thing they don't tell you is the device your wish to handoff from MUST have the email or message you want to continue with open on the screen! As soon as you minimise the app to the background handoff doesn't recognise! It only recognises IF you leave the original OPEN on the first device!

Finally working!!! Cannot believe it was something so silly! No wonder people think it's flaky as its only recognising when they leave the app open onscreen! This should really be highlighted by Apple under the handoff toggle button!

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
The reason it wasn't working for me was because I left the email to view the settings app to see what Bluetooth devices it found hence why handoff never worked because I didn't have the email or message open on screen! Also for those questioning when you do leave it open onscreen and you pick it up on the other device it then adds both devices as connected under the Bluetooth settings even though you don't have to manually connect them. You don't need to pair then manually as mentioned but the end result does look like a paired device.

emjayess

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Handoff not working for me, either. Brand new Mac, iPhone 6 Plus, and iPad Air 2. Go figure.

Anyone know where some instructions are that work?

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Worked flawlessly between my iPad Air 2 before I bought it back. Works flawlessly with the MBA 13" I replaced it with. The only thing I had to do to get it to work, was make sure BT was turned on all the devices. Works in both directions, too.

Also, there is a Handoff Toggle in iOS. I think it's on by default, but check to make sure that it's still on.

Also make sure all the relevant apps are up to date, on both your phone and your Tablet or PC/Notebook.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
One of the things that isn't made obvious is whatever you're handing off from needs to have that document or message open on the screen for it to work. I'd previously been minimising the message and couldn't get handoff working until by chance I left the message open onscreen and it worked.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I believe handoff only works when the device you are handing off from is awake and unlocked. So if you are say on safari on your iPhone and lock it and then try to pick it up on your Mac, it won't work.

It's funny you mention this because my iPhone has been getting random handoffs coming in from my iMac when it's not even turned on. They pop up and go away after a while. If I try to view them, Safari will just hang. Has anyone else had this problem recently?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro