Hand off not working

CKisses

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: solution

the suggestion to sign out of icloud then signing back in worked great for my mac(2013 air) & iphone(5). handoff works perfectly between my iphone & mac but i can't get either to work with my ipad(mini, non-retina). even with signing out then back in to icloud.....

i don't use my ipad much so i'm not going to stress it for now....at least i got one of my devices working.....

i'll try to get it working again tomorrow after the ios 8.1 upgrade....

CKisses

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: solution

UPDATE!!

so i powered down my ipad & when i turned it back on...handoff was working! now all 3 of my devices are working with hand-off perfectly...

i definitely co-sign the recommendation to sign-off from icloud on all devices then sign back on & maybe power down then back on for good measure. yes i know it's apple & it all should "just work" but they're still man-made electronic devices & sometimes need a little coaxing :)

hope this works for someone....

looking forward to sms relay messaging tomorrow (the only thing i've really been waiting on through all these announcements & updates)

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm where you are. It just isn't in the Settings for my late 2013 MBA. I also can't pair them. I guess I'll just wait for the first update and hope it's there. I've made sure they are the same icloud account and password, signed in and out (annoyingly, icloud keeps pestering me for a stronger password- no), I'm at a loss.

jarofclay73

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
At first, the only app that wouldn't work was Safari going from my iPhone 6 Plus to the Mac. I finally figured it out. If you have your Safari browser on Private Browsing, handoff won't work with that browser.

BenitoC

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
If your macbook doesn't have Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) then it won't support Hand off. For eg. my MacBook Pro 15" from 2011 doesn't have BLE and Hand off won't work with it, as far as I know.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I just cannot get handoff to work at all. I'm only trying to get it working between my iPad mini and my iphone 6. Same ICloud, same wifi, same iOS. Both been rebooted and signed out and in and handoff toggled in both and still nothing showing on the lock screen or app switcher!

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If your macbook doesn't have Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) then it won't support Hand off. For eg. my MacBook Pro 15" from 2011 doesn't have BLE and Hand off won't work with it, as far as I know.

I have the MacBook retina late 2013. So it should work but it's not. So frustrating

Nanci

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
This is the embarrassing reason why mine wasn't working. Hey, if it helps one other person, I don't mind looking like a dumbass... So Saturday morning, I go to DL Yosemite to my late 2013 MBA. All I can get for the app store though is a blank white page. So I mess around a bit, and get app store working, and click the update software button, with some trepidation, because a friend of mine's Mac got stuck at 18 minutes left and wouldn't go further, no matter what. But hey- it DLs really fast! And installs fast! Less than 30 minutes for the whole ordeal. I immediately notice the red iTunes icon, but that seems to be about it. So I go looking for Hand-off, under General Settings. Not there. Many restarts, shutdowns, combing forums for info, signing in and out of iCloud on everything- nothing works. So I go back to the original tutorial. I see my "General" icon is not like the one in the article- it hasn't been, and I always suspected something wasn't right. I read, "You must be on OSX 10.10. Okay, fine, I'll double check. Well, guess what- I'm on 10.9.5, and although I believed I installed Yosemite, I did not. So I did, last night, and now at least I have the Hand-off toggle, but haven't had time to try it out.

riversub

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Buggy here as well. Handoff between iPhone 6 plus and 2014 Macbook pro retina is intermittent at best. No combination of rebooting, logging in/out of iCloud, etc. seems to have an impact consistently. It just works when it wants to :-(. Sometimes I'm surprised to see the icon in the finder for handoff from the iPhone as it only works <10% of the time. Hoping apple can sort this out in subsequent releases because when it works it is like magic :).

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I cannot for the life of me get mine working between my iPad mini and my iphone 6! Literally tried everything and still no success! Sure both devices just need to be on the same wifi network, logged in on the same ICloud account and have handoff turned on within settings and that's it right?

pearlyrob

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't either. I went online to the apple site. Did a live chat and they proxy in to my Mac. Then walked me through it. And voila. It works perfectly. Try the chat option!

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!

Ok so some of you probably already know what I'm going to say or have tried this but here's the deal...

I've tried getting handoff working between my iphone 6 and iPad mini with no success. Then realised you not only need to have handoff turned on but you also must have Bluetooth turned on for both devices which would be a handy suggestion to notify the end user in the text under the handoff on/off toggle within settings but anyways. Although I've tried this with Bluetooth on before and no success the key is the devices have to be displayed as connected within Bluetooth settings NOT simply just both having Bluetooth turned on. The difference is the Bluetooth icon in the top right of the device is just an outline when it's on and it's a solid icon with a white fill when the devices are connected. You can also see within Bluetooth settings it will display the other device name as connected. Once this is all in place handoff works perfectly. I'm guessing those without issues always have Bluetooth turned on so wouldn't notice this hurdle. Also I'm not sure how you pair the devices as there's no physical option. I turned them on and waited a few mins and then they connected but shortly after I toggled Bluetooth off and on and now I've been sitting waiting for ten mins and they won't connect again! Hope this helps someone!

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!

Ok so some of you probably already know what I'm going to say or have tried this but here's the deal...

I've tried getting handoff working between my iphone 6 and iPad mini with no success. Then realised you not only need to have handoff turned on but you also must have Bluetooth turned on for both devices which would be a handy suggestion to notify the end user in the text under the handoff on/off toggle within settings but anyways. Although I've tried this with Bluetooth on before and no success the key is the devices have to be displayed as connected within Bluetooth settings NOT simply just both having Bluetooth turned on. The difference is the Bluetooth icon in the top right of the device is just an outline when it's on and it's a solid icon with a white fill when the devices are connected. You can also see within Bluetooth settings it will display the other device name as connected. Once this is all in place handoff works perfectly. I'm guessing those without issues always have Bluetooth turned on so wouldn't notice this hurdle. Also I'm not sure how you pair the devices as there's no physical option. I turned them on and waited a few mins and then they connected but shortly after I toggled Bluetooth off and on and now I've been sitting waiting for ten mins and they won't connect again! Hope this helps someone!

The problem I'm having is my Mac can't connect to my iPhone 6 plus. It says " cannot connect " no matter what I do. It's annoying. It's still not working. I truly give up

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Argh the problem I'm having now is I cannot get bluetooth to connect! Apart from the one occasion earlier where it some how miraculously connected both devices I now cannot for the life of me get Bluetooth working! I have it turned on on both my iPad and iPhone but although it says now discoverable neither actually recognises each other. I've left them for hours now and nothing. I've even used my Apple TV and that doesn't discover either my iPad or iphone and they both don't discover the Apple TV! I've rebooted and reset network settings and toggled on and off I've turned airdrop off and then on for everyone and literally nothing! When it did connect that one time I didn't do anything different compared to what I'm doing now and I'm in the same room and same distance apart. I've tried doing it with both devices touching and then a few feet apart and it's like there's another Bluetooth toggle somewhere! Help!

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Argh the problem I'm having now is I cannot get bluetooth to connect! Apart from the one occasion earlier where it some how miraculously connected both devices I now cannot for the life of me get Bluetooth working! I have it turned on on both my iPad and iPhone but although it says now discoverable neither actually recognises each other. I've left them for hours now and nothing. I've even used my Apple TV and that doesn't discover either my iPad or iphone and they both don't discover the Apple TV! I've rebooted and reset network settings and toggled on and off I've turned airdrop off and then on for everyone and literally nothing! When it did connect that one time I didn't do anything different compared to what I'm doing now and I'm in the same room and same distance apart. I've tried doing it with both devices touching and then a few feet apart and it's like there's another Bluetooth toggle somewhere! Help!

We are in the same boat mate!
Somebody help

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Right I've worked out a bit more...

If you turn personal hotspot on for your iPhone along with Bluetooth the iPhone shows within the wifi networks on the iPad. If I then go into Bluetooth I see my iPhone listed as connected but then I see another instance of my iphone listed below in the other section. When I tap on that I get the pair request and a code to enter but when tapping pair on both it just connects without asking for the code. Then I have two instances of the same device listed as connected on both the iPad and iPhone. Then if I tap the i I only have the option available of forgetting one of the two listed. I worked out the one I cannot forget is the personal hotspot profile so I go and turn personal hotspot off on my iPhone and then still with both iPhone and iPad with Bluetooth ON the last and only instance of the devices listed under Bluetooth then shows not connected. I tap it to connect and it says connection unsuccessful please ensure devices are within range even though they've not moved an inch from where they were just connected! WTF??

All this including the fact that when I tried the first time about 6hrs ago they connected via Bluetooth within seconds and without the need for pairing or personal hotspot or forcing a connection. This is really poor as I've just tried connecting both devices to an old PS3 Bluetooth headset I have and both picked it up within a second but sadly both iOS devices cannot connect to each other! This is really shoddy work by Apple! I mean how wrong can we be when we literally have one button to press on each device and that's Bluetooth ON! Nothing else to configure! In the old days you used to have the option of being discoverable or not even with Bluetooth on but with iOS devices according to the onscreen message it's always discoverable whilst Bluetooth is on!!! Really fed up with this now. I think I'm going to give up before it annoys me even more.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73