iCloud VS OneDrive for picture backup

archimo

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I just realized that if you enable iCloud Photos on your iOS device, it takes away the classic camera roll and replaces it with a single iCloud Photos folder that are synced between the iOS device and iCloud Photos. Any photos added or deleted deleted on the iOS device or iCloud Photos are kept in sync. Deleted photos go to Recently Deleted for 30 days and then permanently deleted. The photos inside iCloud Photos are full resolution and do not count against you overall iCloud storage limits.

This really simplifies everything. You could then install the Flickr app or Onedrive and turn on auto uploads to have photos in all those places.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I just realized that if you enable iCloud Photos on your iOS device, it takes away the classic camera roll and replaces it with a single iCloud Photos folder that are synced between the iOS device and iCloud Photos. Any photos added or deleted deleted on the iOS device or iCloud Photos are kept in sync. Deleted photos go to Recently Deleted for 30 days and then permanently deleted. The photos inside iCloud Photos are full resolution and do not count against you overall iCloud storage limits.

This really simplifies everything. You could then install the Flickr app or Onedrive and turn on auto uploads to have photos in all those places.

The only thing is that iCloud photos does count against your overall iCloud storage, but upgrading storage limit is very inexpensive.

Bowlegz

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I use OneDrive, because it has a larger capacity for free. Only issue there that I know of is that in order to do the backup, I need to manually start the OneDrive application on the phone. Same thing with using Google Drive or Dropbox.

If you want the backup to "just happen" and you have the storage space on the cloud, then staying with iCloud might be better.

This is how I use the cloud services as well.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I prefer OneDrive in regard to photo storing. It's simple, easy to use and navigate and I have a lot of storage space.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I like to store photos and videos on Box, Dropbox and OneDrive. But to back up what is currently on my phone, I use iCloud.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I use icloud and I opted for the 20GB storage. At $1 per month it is totally worth it. Seemless backup. Nothing compares.

rpac78

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I am also using OneDrive since I have much more free storage (~30GB) than iCloud. One nice thing that came out of it was that OneDrive uploads photos from My Photo Stream, meaning photos taken on my wife's iPhone and my kids' iPad (they all have the same Apple ID) get uploaded into OneDrive. Now there's no need for me to maintain another account for each device.

BSUNesto

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought a new computer last June and purchased Office 365, which gave me 1TB of storage in OneDrive. OneDrive is simply the best for background uploading. I never have to open the app and you've been able to upload at full resolution at least since I made the switch from DB last June. I can take a ton of photos, come home, wait a few minutes and then start working in Photoshop on the desktop with those same photos I just took, all without having to touch my phone. Best solution I've found so far!

Nerd

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have iCloud Photo Library (Beta) enabled but prefer Dropbox to transfer photos from iDevice to PC. When I have lots of burst photos I transfer them using the lightning cable to use with explorer. (Because that's faster)

I delete unnecessary photos from my device from time to time to free up space. Google Drive, OneDrive and Box are for other stuff to keep stuff sorted.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
iCloud Photos: No Desktop Client, Enjoy AirDrop'ing Video from your Mac to your iPhone (and back, cause you cannot Sync that stuff via iTunes with iCloud Photos turned on) and having it fail in your face at 80-90% (not to mention, slow as all hell).

OneDrive: Just works. You take pictures/videos, they upload from your phone, they then sync to your Mac/PC Automatically.

Until Apple Releases Photos for OS X, it isn't even worth using the service, IMO, unless you spend the majority of your time on other iOS devices (iPhone + iPad, for example). The user experience getting media to/from the device/iMac is absolutely unforgivable at the current timeframe.

The intermediary "browser" solution isn't a solution at all, as it's implemented in a very half-baked manner (no Video Upload, ridiculously thin format support for Pictures, literally no decent organizational tools, etc.).

I might buy Lightroom and completely drop my iCloud Storage Subscription at this point. I'm up to the point where I have too many pictures and [especially] video to deal with all these work arounds to have a decent workflow between my iMac and iPhone. Also, when switching from Windows, migrating video to iCloud Photo Library was an absolute nightmare. It took, literally hours as I had to AirDrop every single video from the iMac to the iPhone, and AirDrop was failing all the time with the phone literally sitting inches away from the computer - sometimes it would fail right when it was supposed to complete. UGH!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW