Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

21 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,662 Global Posts

Default Background App Refresh

This is why iOS is so frustrating sometimes, or I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway, if I go to Settings, General, Background App Refresh it is turned on. Under that is a list of apps that I can turn on or off for background app refresh. One of the apps is Ask Me Anything from Reddit. It's turned off.

Back so Settings, scroll down to the list of apps, tap on the AMA app and there is a setting for background app refresh. It's turned on, must be by default because I never changed it.

So, how can it be off in one place and on in another? And which one wins?

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Default Re: Background App Refresh

That's an issue with the app developers not iOS. The settings under Background App Refresh are provided by iOS. The settings under a specific app are provided by the app developer. The app developer should be checking the system setting before displaying whether the app background setting is on/off. As for which is being used in the app, I'm guessing the system setting takes precedence. In other words, I think the issue under Settings, Reddit AMA is a display issue not a usage issue. But I certainly don't know for sure.
    iMore Pro

548 Posts

Default Re: Background App Refresh

I have completely turned off "background app refresh" - I have not had any issues without it, the iPhone works just fine, have to wait for few seconds for the app to update when I open it.

Did get some notifications from Google maps back in the days I was using it, now I have completely switched over to Apple maps and it just works.