How to edit contact so they use iMessage?

okanagan.mike

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I bought my daughter-in-law an iPhone for her birthday. She hasn't had one before. I edited her contact information to show she is using an iPhone for text messages, but they are still being sent as SMS. How do I fix it so we can use iMessage and FaceTime?

EDIT: She says she is getting blue bubbles when she receives texts from me, but on my end they are still green when I send them.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought my daughter-in-law an iPhone for her birthday. She hasn't had one before. I edited her contact information to show she is using an iPhone for text messages, but they are still being sent as SMS. How do I fix it so we can use iMessage and FaceTime?

Thanks!

Mike

Starting with the obvious:

Log into Messages and FaceTime? Make sure in Settings > Messages that iMessage is [ON].

And again, stating the obvious, but the user needs to have iMessage enabled. There is nothing you can do from your device to force that. Both have to have iMessage enabled, and then it should work.

okanagan.mike

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Quick replies!

I use iMessage all the time with my wife, son, and daughter. My DIL says she gets messages in blue so they are coming to her as iMessages, but on my end they are showing up in green. She had a BlackBerry phone before I bought her the iPhone. I have all the things that HankAZ and qbnkelt say to look for correctly turned on.

M

okanagan.mike

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I have deleted her contact and rebuilt it from scratch. When I try a new iMessage, even when I first type her name, it shows up as green, and the message I compose is in a green bubble.

I am stumped!

M

Rolandh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Quick replies!

I use iMessage all the time with my wife, son, and daughter. My DIL says she gets messages in blue so they are coming to her as iMessages, but on my end they are showing up in green. She had a BlackBerry phone before I bought her the iPhone. I have all the things that HankAZ and qbnkelt say to look for correctly turned on.

M

Sometimes wierd things happen with Messaging (SMS/iMessage) I've had to re-send messages as SMS when my wife hasn't had data/Wi-Fi turned on & it's shown a blue bubble even though it's been re-sent as an SMS.

Roland

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Lets try this. Delete the message chain on both the iPhones and since she is receiving iMessages ask her to compose a message to you and see if that is blue or green; if it is blue when she sends it, you should be able to send her messages in blue back.

Let us know if this works

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What she sends is blue and what you send is in green. Each way the bubbles for the received are gray. I have a feeling her phone # isn't registered and her e-mail is sending the iMessages.

In the screen that qbnkelt posted, have her check the send & receive and make sure the phone # isn't greyed out.

Also, in that screen of send & receive, at the top, just have her log out and back in to her Apple ID for good measure.

okanagan.mike

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
No Joy! Although to be honest I am not 100% certain things were done properly on her end. She is four hours away and I can't see what she is doing. I may have to ask my son to help out when he gets home from work tonight. Still weird, though!

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Lets try this. Delete the message chain on both the iPhones and since she is receiving iMessages ask her to compose a message to you and see if that is blue or green; if it is blue when she sends it, you should be able to send her messages in blue back.

Let us know if this works

This has worked for me with a friend.

okanagan.mike

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a phone number for her and two email addresses. All of them send as SMS, not as iMessages. I tried to delete all message chains on both her phone and mine (assuming she followed my instructions properly), but that didn't work, either.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Checking in to see if there is an update from the OP.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
In the screen that qbnkelt posted, have her check the send & receive and make sure the phone # isn't greyed out..
Isn't the phone # supposed to be grayed out in "send and receive"? Mine is. Or did I misunderstand?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5