iOS 8 Hand-off over distance

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I was under the assumption that the hand-off feature in iOS8 was based on Bluetooth LE. But today I was at work, and when I pressed the Home button I had the icon for Safari in the bottom-left corner........ the confusion being, Safari on my MBP was at home - about 2km away!

I locked the screen and then checked again and it was still there, but at the time I didn't actually open/action it. Is this a rogue/random bug, or is it doing this as Safari was active that moment on another device that is signed in under the same Apple ID?

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I was under the assumption that the hand-off feature in iOS8 was based on Bluetooth LE. But today I was at work, and when I pressed the Home button I had the icon for Safari in the bottom-left corner........ the confusion being, Safari on my MBP was at home - about 2km away!

I locked the screen and then checked again and it was still there, but at the time I didn't actually open/action it. Is this a rogue/random bug, or is it doing this as Safari was active that moment on another device that is signed in under the same Apple ID?

No, it's not over Bluetooth. My iPad rings when my phone rings, which was quite disconcerting the first time it happened. However, that's surprising that it would happen over such a distance.

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
No, it's not over Bluetooth. My iPad rings when my phone rings, which was quite disconcerting the first time it happened. However, that's surprising that it would happen over such a distance.

I think that is not entirely correct......

I believe BT is in fact required for handoff, but for making/receiving calls, you just need to be on the same wifi network. I can do calls between my 5s and Mini and I never have BT on.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711