Why isn't the location-based Suggested App feature working?

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
For some reason I can't seem to get suggested apps to work. I have the toggles switched on and my location service settings are all on, but anytime I am near a Walmart or any other poi nothing shows up. In fact the only time I have seen it work was on beta 1 and 2 for iOS 8 on my 5s. Now I'm on the iPhone 6. Any ideas on how to get this working or what are the right conditions?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For some reason I can't seem to get suggested apps to work.
What suggested apps are you referring to?
I have the toggles switched on and my location service settings are all on, but anytime I am near a Walmart or any other poi nothing shows up.
Are you referring to location based "reminders"? If so, double-check that you're following the instructions to the letter and to use a specific address, if possible. iOS: Using Reminders
In fact the only time I have seen it work was on beta 1 and 2 for iOS 8 on my 5s. Now I'm on the iPhone 6. Any ideas on how to get this working or what are the right conditions?
See the information above via the link.

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
What suggested apps are you referring to? Are you referring to location based "reminders"? If so, double-check that you're following the instructions to the letter and to use a specific address, if possible. iOS: Using Reminders See the information above via the link.

No, not reminders. I'm referring to the apps that should appear at the bottom left of your lock screen when nearby the corresponding place such as walmart or Starbucks.
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1411748650.721845.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1411748663.823218.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, not reminders. I'm referring to the apps that should appear at the bottom left of your lock screen when nearby the corresponding place such as walmart or Starbucks.
Oh okay. I see that it works for the Apple Store and for Starbucks, as depicted in your screenshots. I can only assume it doesn't deem Walmart and a few others relevant for your location, but I'm only guessing....:)....I'll enable it and then go to a nearby Walmart a little later and see if it'll work for me.

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Oh okay. I see that it works for the Apple Store and for Starbucks, as depicted in your screenshots. I can only assume it doesn't deem Walmart and a few others relevant for your location, but I'm only guessing....:)....I'll enable it and then go to a nearby Walmart a little later and see if it'll work for me.

Those are just examples. It's supposed to work with any and all apps that support it. Walmart and tons of others are supported. Like I said, I was getting them on the beta, but not now. It worked with Bank of America, sam's club, etc.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Those are just examples. It's supposed to work with any and all apps that support it. Walmart and tons of others are supported. Like I said, I was getting them on the beta, but not now. It worked with Bank of America, sam's club, etc.
In your initial post, you stated that you had location services enabled, did you enabled the App Store button listed in the Location Services' Settings?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When I went to put gas in my car, I stopped in the parking lot of a nearby Walmart and upon doing so, the App Store app appeared in the bottom left corner of the screen. In other words, the suggested app feature worked for me in this instance.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411755376.793328.jpg

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
In your initial post, you stated that you had location services enabled, did you enabled the App Store button listed in the Location Services' Settings?

Is this what you are referring to? I've always had location set to on with the App Store. Question. Did you have the App Store running in the background when it popped up? Meaning was it open and in the multitasking menu? ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1411755830.033629.jpg

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is this what you are referring to?
Yes
I've always had location set to on with the App Store.
Oh okay.
Question. Did you have the App Store running in the background when it popped up? Meaning was it open and in the multitasking
I can only assume it was in the App Switcher because I noticed I had an update to the Goodreader app earlier this morning, but I was not actively using the App Store. It just pooped up on the screen when I entered the parking lot of the Walmart. Afterwards, I briefly parked, took the screenshot and then drove on to the gas station to put gas in my car.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Does this in system services in location services have anything to do with ibeacons?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411760067.373237.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

JDabney

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, I appreciate all the suggestions and help. I feel like I have exhausted every option I could think of to get it working to no avail. Oh, well...