Best 'widget' apps?

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I also like the yahoo widget, but it's always loading new pictures, trying to get the location and takes some time to update which is annoying. Also the temperature is not 100% right, the weather information of most other sources are 2-4? C different. That's why I use Weather Underground View attachment 67936

The Yahoo! App gets its information from Weather Underground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I also like the yahoo widget, but it's always loading new pictures, trying to get the location and takes some time to update which is annoying. Also the temperature is not 100% right, the weather information of most other sources are 2-4? C different. That's why I use Weather Underground View attachment 67936

Humm, interesting....I find the temperature to be very accurate and the load times for changing the temp, weather and photos to be quick and efficient on my device (5s).

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The Yahoo! App gets its information from Weather Underground.

I don't know if it's always like that. But when I search for my town then the yahoo page says it gets its informations from The Weather Channel.

I compared the informations from many weather providers and Weather Underground is my favorite, because it uses the local weather stations for more accurate temperatures and all other informations which are available.

That's why you see different values. Here's a comparison:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412947246.390424.jpg

Humm, interesting....I find the temperature to be very accurate and the load times for changing the temp, weather and photos to be quick and efficient on my device (5s).

I don't know, it takes long to update the data, about 4 seconds or more. Sometimes it just says sorry because it can't load the data, even though the Internet connection is great.

fb2

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have 5 cities in my Yahoo! Weather app and they all show Weather Underground as the source.

I checked that, you're also right. The yahoo app shows different data than the yahoo website and they also show different values because the use different weather stations

I will stick to Weather Underground widget, it shows everything fast and good

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Not a fan of that butt-ugly graph thing. Surely they could display that information is a less ugly way. (Perhaps not)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have a screenshot to share of The Weather Channel widget? I have the TWC Max app on my 6+, just wondering how the widget looks.

Here's what my NC looks like now:
[url]http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq240/fridayxiii_pb/Interwebz%20Shares/3140547D-937A-4D81-B821-AB29FD910C2F_zpstoqdnujs.png[/URL]

And here are my options to add/edit:
[url]http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq240/fridayxiii_pb/Interwebz%20Shares/5938A2DB-AFC2-4F8C-A7DF-1233F29DFE9D_zpscjnnbcpe.png[/URL]

Yahoo Weather is much better than TWC. They just updated and it's great! They use local photos. Mine is the O'Neal Bridge that crosses the Tennessee River here.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412979388.733260.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The best widget app is Launcher, but they pulled it from the App Store. I have customized mine with a few cool icons.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412979667.550232.jpg

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
@Ledsteplin, I'm a minimalist so using Launcher as a widget is too busy for me... (it looks great though.)
It makes me chuckle to read that if it takes two clicks to open an app -- instead of one click, it's too much work. Much like taking an elevator to the second floor.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who sees all of these widgets as unusable fluff?

In the case of apps like Launcher and Favorites, it seems to me to be too much trouble to set them up, and then have to go to the NC page to use them. I find it much quicker to unlock my phone (with TouchID), tap the phone icon and call my wife from the Favorites list than to unlock the phone, slide down on the page to get the NC page, then scroll to the Favorites widget and tap the icon representing my wife's phone number.

Likewise with many of the apps that can be launched via the Launcher widget.

If it works for you, great - more power to you. I am not knocking the existence of these widgets, but for me, it’s more effort to use them. I only use 2 widgets - the Yahoo Weather and ESPN SportsCenter. And I’m not 100% convinced that using them is significantly easier/faster.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one who sees all of these widgets as unusable fluff?

In the case of apps like Launcher and Favorites, it seems to me to be too much trouble to set them up, and then have to go to the NC page to use them. I find it much quicker to unlock my phone (with TouchID), tap the phone icon and call my wife from the Favorites list than to unlock the phone, slide down on the page to get the NC page, then scroll to the Favorites widget and tap the icon representing my wife's phone number.

Likewise with many of the apps that can be launched via the Launcher widget.

If it works for you, great - more power to you. I am not knocking the existence of these widgets, but for me, it?s more effort to use them. I only use 2 widgets - the Yahoo Weather and ESPN SportsCenter. And I?m not 100% convinced that using them is significantly easier/faster.

....but it looks KOOL😎👍....SMILE 😜

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am back to eWeather HD. It's been the most accurate, and they now have a widget.
Although I am on the fence about using it. I am not a fan of the widget choice they use. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412983528.596814.jpg

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Pedometer++ has a simple but great widget if you like to track your steps. It's nice to be able to check it on NC without unlocking.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
@Ledsteplin, I'm a minimalist so using Launcher as a widget is too busy for me... (it looks great though.)
It makes me chuckle to read that if it takes two clicks to open an app -- instead of one click, it's too much work. Much like taking an elevator to the second floor.
The fun was spending an entire day creating PNG images for the icons. Many of my apps are buried in nested folders. I think I did overdo the settings app features a bit. I'll tire of them soon and remove a bunch. The keyboard icon is actually a screenshot of my SwiftKey keyboard. I cropped the screenshot and used the app, Eraser, to turn it into a PNG image. I didn't get a new iPhone, so I'm having fun with iOS 8 stuff. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh