Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 378
Like Tree181Likes
  1. #101  
    Nolander07's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    226 Posts

    Default Best 'widget' apps?

    Pedometer++ has a simple but great widget if you like to track your steps. It's nice to be able to check it on NC without unlocking.
  2. #102  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by sanibel View Post
    @Ledsteplin, I'm a minimalist so using Launcher as a widget is too busy for me... (it looks great though.)
    It makes me chuckle to read that if it takes two clicks to open an app -- instead of one click, it's too much work. Much like taking an elevator to the second floor.
    The fun was spending an entire day creating PNG images for the icons. Many of my apps are buried in nested folders. I think I did overdo the settings app features a bit. I'll tire of them soon and remove a bunch. The keyboard icon is actually a screenshot of my SwiftKey keyboard. I cropped the screenshot and used the app, Eraser, to turn it into a PNG image. I didn't get a new iPhone, so I'm having fun with iOS 8 stuff.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    Spencerdl and joemd60 like this.
  3. #103  

    Default Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    Are you using an icon app or the web
    All of the above. I first used all the ones under settings that used the settings icon. Then I found a few PNG images online and changed a few. Then I got my newspaper online and used a PNG image for that. I created several icons using the app, Eraser. You can use any photo and erase part of it and turn it into a PNG image. The keyboard is actually a screenshot of my SwiftKey keyboard. The SIRI icon came from a screenshot of my SIRI'S mic. Fun!


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
  4. #104  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    Am I the only one who sees all of these widgets as unusable fluff?

    In the case of apps like Launcher and Favorites, it seems to me to be too much trouble to set them up, and then have to go to the NC page to use them. I find it much quicker to unlock my phone (with TouchID), tap the phone icon and call my wife from the Favorites list than to unlock the phone, slide down on the page to get the NC page, then scroll to the Favorites widget and tap the icon representing my wife's phone number.

    Likewise with many of the apps that can be launched via the Launcher widget.

    If it works for you, great - more power to you. I am not knocking the existence of these widgets, but for me, its more effort to use them. I only use 2 widgets - the Yahoo Weather and ESPN SportsCenter. And Im not 100% convinced that using them is significantly easier/faster.
    At first I thought launcher would be useless but I have quickly changed by mind. I use spotify at the gym and while I am working out and hear a song I want to add to a playlist it is a quick swipe down and I can open it. Then it's a quick swipe down again and I can get back to JeFit to keep tracking my workout.

    I also have a Glympse shortcut to let my wife know I am on the way and a short cut to Downcast.

    I wish I paid for it so I can get rid of the launcher icon, oh well at least I grabbed it before it was pulled.
  5. #105  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    I am back to eWeather HD. It's been the most accurate, and they now have a widget.
    Although I am on the fence about using it. I am not a fan of the widget choice they use. Attachment 67986
    I use that too. I like it. I like too many of the weather widgets. Yahoo is great, and I like weather underground for its nearby weather. It's just like on my home screen, where I have 5 weather apps in a folder.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    joemd60 likes this.
  6. #106  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts

    Default Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    I use that too. I like it. I like too many of the weather widgets. Yahoo is great, and I like weather underground for its nearby weather. It's just like on my home screen, where I have 5 weather apps in a folder.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    I liked Yahoo's widget the best. But my notifications never worked. I used to also have several weather apps, but it was to much to keep track of
  7. #107  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by bamf-hacker View Post
    At first I thought launcher would be useless but I have quickly changed by mind. I use spotify at the gym and while I am working out and hear a song I want to add to a playlist it is a quick swipe down and I can open it. Then it's a quick swipe down again and I can get back to JeFit to keep tracking my workout.

    I also have a Glympse shortcut to let my wife know I am on the way and a short cut to Downcast.

    I wish I paid for it so I can get rid of the launcher icon, oh well at least I grabbed it before it was pulled.
    The Launcher Icon was the main reason I got the in app. Since my wife and I share an iTunes ID, she was able to download it and do a restore purchase all after it was pulled. It took me 3 tries with entering my password before it went through. I was really shocked she got it.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
  8. #108  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    I liked Yahoo's widget the best. But my notifications never worked. I used to also have several weather apps, but it was to much to keep track of
    One of my weather apps is Tornado by the Red Cross. It has a very loud alert warning. We had a Tornado come through here and all the weather apps were going off. On my wife's phone too. I've since determined which is the most promt with the alerts, and turned the others off. I keep them all for the features. They each have a feature the others don't have.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
  9. #109  
    TurboTiger's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,614 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,095 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    I'm using Weather Underground & eWeather HD.
    I have the later set to display the Feels like on the dial.
    Good Luck
  10. #110  
    iwoodland's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    162 Posts
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

    Default Best 'widget' apps?

    Here's mine, very useful. Don't need the text as the icons are obvious. If your saving 1 tap, times hundreds, it's a lot of time saved!:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1413001850.041322.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	376.0 KB 
ID:	68003
  11. #111  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413009637.042937.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	68015
    Just wish ESPN showed a list


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. #112  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    One of my weather apps is Tornado by the Red Cross. It has a very loud alert warning. We had a Tornado come through here and all the weather apps were going off. On my wife's phone too. I've since determined which is the most promt with the alerts, and turned the others off. I keep them all for the features. They each have a feature the others don't have.


    Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5
    That's a great point, never thought of it that way.
  13. #113  
    ctt1wbw's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,688 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,994 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Check The Weather has a nice widget, anyone try that one yet?
  14. #114  
    austriak's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
    Check The Weather has a nice widget, anyone try that one yet?
    Just tried it out and out of yahoo weather, weather channel, weather underground, forecasr++, and Check the Weather, I like it the most. Forecast++ would be my favorite but the weather is very inaccurate.

  15. #115  
    SMELTN's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Check the Weather and Forecast+ look great, but I just can't justify spending $.99 for a widget lol
  16. #116  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Sometime ago, I bought NOAA Radar pro.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413103542.755099.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	68096
  17. #117  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    Sometime ago, I bought NOAA Radar pro.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413103542.755099.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	68096
    Looks sharp.
    joemd60 likes this.
  18. #118  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    Looks sharp.
    I like the app. But not sure if I will keep it. It doesn't seem to refresh locations, unless I do it manually.
    taz323 likes this.
  19. #119  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    I like the app. But not sure if I will keep it. It doesn't seem to refresh locations, unless I do it manually.
    Thats good to know, thanks, been using the one for Yahoo and its been working really well.
  20. #120  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    Thats good to know, thanks, been using the one for Yahoo and its been working really well.
    I actually liked Yahoo. Very nice widget, and interface.
    taz323 likes this.
  21. #121  
    HankAZ's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    6,100 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,195 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    I like the app. But not sure if I will keep it. It doesn't seem to refresh locations, unless I do it manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    Thats good to know, thanks, been using the one for Yahoo and its been working really well.
    Seems to be the status quo. These widgets are either really good looking or really functional/accurate. Given that choice, accurate wins. And Yahoo Weather is both accurate and attractive.
    taz323, joemd60 and Spencerdl like this.
  22. #122  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    It's like eWeather HD. Spot on accurate, but the widget is not attractive.
    taz323 and Spencerdl like this.
  23. #123  
    Edmilan's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    87 Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    iMonitor and Quick-tap ftw!
  24. #124  

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by joemd60 View Post
    It's like eWeather HD. Spot on accurate, but the widget is not attractive.
    Yea, thats just it, have to have both.
  25. #125  
    joemd60's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,094 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,565 Global Posts

    Default Re: Best 'widget' apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    Yea, thats just it, have to have both.
    I am not going to delete NOAA just yet, I'll give it awhile and see what happens.
    I really like the look of the widget.
    taz323 likes this.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Syncing of Apps during restore Freezing
    By finn5975 in forum iOS 8
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 01:04 PM
  2. Why are my app updates stuck in Waiting status?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM
  3. App Store Buttons Greyed Out
    By CYaris in forum OS X Mavericks (10.9)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM
  4. How do I set the date for the Alarm App on my iPad?
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM
  5. New and updated apps: BBM, Discover, Starbase Annex and more
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions