Issues downloading iOS 8

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having issues downloading iOS 8 tonight? I have put it on 2 iPhones and an iPad without issue over the last couple days but tonight I can't get it on my wife's iPhone 5. I've tried over the air and through iTunes. When I do iTunes it says it will take about 3 days to download and then crashes. The over the air just sticks and doesn't download. I'll try again tomorrow but I was wondering if there is a known issue. Thanks.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I see 175 people have viewed this thread and not one reply so I assume I am alone on this. lol. I have reset the phone as a new iphone and tried to install. That didn't work either. I don't know what is going on. I guess I will call apple since nobody here seems to have the same problem. I am guessing that anyone on this site updated the day it was released like I did on my other phones and iPad without issue.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I have upgrade my iOS, but your issue seems to be related to you internet connection rather than apple site. What about downloading the iOS 8 IPSW file from internet and then "control plus restore"or "option plus restore" to install it into your iPhone, that way, you can download the iOS 8 IPSW using your download manager on your computer and avoid iTunes performing the download.
That's how I upgrade new iOS version and that's how I will be upgrading to the iOS 8, by downloading the IPSW off iTunes, then use option restore in iTunes to install it into my device.
Ah and perhaps you did it already or maybe not, check if your iTunes is uptodate. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So far beyond frustrated at this point. I worked on this for 2 plus hours last night. I have spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple and still can't get the update. It's unreal. I just don't understand since I updated 3 other devices without issues. Now I am waiting on a call from Apple's iPhone support this afternoon. It has to be the phone. It is the only common factor in all of this. Thank you Ariel for replying. I appreciate the input and yep we did try all of those things more than once.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Updated an i5 last night at nine PM and it only took 36 minutes. Have you been successful yet?

Does sound like a connection issue

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
After a call with Apple it turned out to be an apple server issue. We got it done. Once it finally started downloading it only took about 30 minutes. All is good now. Customer service was excellent again.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

jneusch

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issues. I have tried for the past 2 days but the update fails. No connectivity problem on my side. I have 150mbps Fios and it's working fine. What exactly did customer service do to help, if you could share with us.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to download iOS 8 on my 5s with iTunes and it has said 81 minutes for sometime now. If I were to abort and try again will I cause issues with my phone?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Not only you... my friend having the same issue. She tried installing, and all it would say it downloading, but no progress bar. Then it would time out.

soulenigma

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue. I have been trying for 2 days. My download times went from 5hrs to over 50. Both my iTunes and laptop are up to date.

Sent from my Inspiron 11 - 3147 using Tapatalk

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issues. I have tried for the past 2 days but the update fails. No connectivity problem on my side. I have 150mbps Fios and it's working fine. What exactly did customer service do to help, if you could share with us.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

In all honesty it seemed to be a timing issue. I ended up with a senior customers service rep and he was consulting with someone above him since we had been working on this for so long. The story I was told was that each iOS 8 download is specific to the device. I had already updated 3 other iOS devices without issue. None of them were iPhone 5's though. He said that the Verizon iPhone 5 download was specific to the device meaning it's different than if I had an AT&T iPhone 5. If a bunch of people were downloading that specific Verizon iPhone 5 download at the same time then it would cause the server to fail. Again, this is coming from Apple, not me. I had never had this issue before or heard of this so it's all new to me.

I had a great connection at home and was not able to download via iTunes or OTA. I tried at home and even went to my office to try. That left the only common factor as the phone.

Bottom line is that it just all of a sudden started working mid afternoon yesterday. I wish I had a better, more step by step solution.

If anyone has questions about the whole process that I went through please let me know. I would be happy to try to help.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue. I have been trying for 2 days. My download times went from 5hrs to over 50. Both my iTunes and laptop are up to date.

Sent from my Inspiron 11 - 3147 using Tapatalk

That sounds very familiar. When downloading from iTunes mine would start at 15 hours and work up to over 200 hours before crashing. When trying OTA it would stick at 15 hours and never move.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to download iOS 8 on my 5s with iTunes and it has said 81 minutes for sometime now. If I were to abort and try again will I cause issues with my phone?

It won't cause any issue as it is only beginning to download to the computer. I aborted about 100 times over the last few days. No issues with the phone. I reset and restored a bunch of times and set up as new as well. I did it all and never had any issues with the phone itself.

Coachbulldog

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
It won't cause any issue as it is only beginning to download to the computer. I aborted about 100 times over the last few days. No issues with the phone. I reset and restored a bunch of times and set up as new as well. I did it all and never had any issues with the phone itself.

Thanks. After I entered the "81 minutes" post the download continued...very slowly. Entire process took about an hour and a half but I did not have to stop and start over and OS 8 is now running on my 5S.

jdbartram

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Here are some links about this problem. Forget the links, apparently you must have 10 posts before you can include links.

It is unclear to me whether the problem is caused by Verizon FiOS, or by Apple's new CDN (content distribution network).

One of the fixes that has worked is to change the DNS server that you use. This page has a list of alternative DNS server iPs. Again I'm not qualified to post links, but you can Google it.

I changed the DNS servers in the Actiontec Router. The sign in info is on the label. Go to Main, My Network, Network Connections, click Edit on Broadband Connection, then Settings. Change DNS Server from Automatic to Use the following ... and enter the IP address from the link above.

I first tried Google, then Level3, then OpenDNS Home. The first two had no effect, but with the third, instead of indicating that the download would take 34 hours, it said 8 minutes which turned out to be accurate. I now have iOS 8 on my iPad. Apparently, it is somewhat random which DNS server will work, and some have reported that while one DNS server worked well for one download, it did not work so well later. This has happened to me. When I try to download the iOS update for my iPhone, I am back to (now) a 62 hour estimated download time. I will probably try some more different DNS servers to see if I can get it done, or else just give up and go somewhere tomorrow where Verizon FiOS is not the Internet provider.

Others in the thread above mentioned using a VPN, but I don' have one.

I don't understand why this problem is not in the news, as there must be many, many people with the same problem. I would have thought that iMore would be on top of this as you have been very good with other iOS 8 issues.

Lawns

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Here are some links about this problem. Forget the links, apparently you must have 10 posts before you can include links.

It is unclear to me whether the problem is caused by Verizon FiOS, or by Apple's new CDN (content distribution network).

One of the fixes that has worked is to change the DNS server that you use. This page has a list of alternative DNS server iPs. Again I'm not qualified to post links, but you can Google it.

I changed the DNS servers in the Actiontec Router. The sign in info is on the label. Go to Main, My Network, Network Connections, click Edit on Broadband Connection, then Settings. Change DNS Server from Automatic to Use the following ... and enter the IP address from the link above.

I first tried Google, then Level3, then OpenDNS Home. The first two had no effect, but with the third, instead of indicating that the download would take 34 hours, it said 8 minutes which turned out to be accurate. I now have iOS 8 on my iPad. Apparently, it is somewhat random which DNS server will work, and some have reported that while one DNS server worked well for one download, it did not work so well later. This has happened to me. When I try to download the iOS update for my iPhone, I am back to (now) a 62 hour estimated download time. I will probably try some more different DNS servers to see if I can get it done, or else just give up and go somewhere tomorrow where Verizon FiOS is not the Internet provider.

Others in the thread above mentioned using a VPN, but I don' have one.

I don't understand why this problem is not in the news, as there must be many, many people with the same problem. I would have thought that iMore would be on top of this as you have been very good with other iOS 8 issues.

jdbartram: I just want you to know that because of your post I am quite the happy camper this morning!!! :D

I have been trying to upgrade since the release date of iOS 8, having the same problems that you stated.

Verizon Fios is my provider. Not sure if that is the problem or Apple's new CDN as you stated.

For anyone else having this problem I googled the list of alternate DNS servers as jdbartram suggested and followed his instructions. The one that worked for me was Level3. I tried several. It took 3 minutes to download the software. (Previously it showed anywhere from 50 to 250 hours for download).

Once again, jdbartram, thank you very much for taking the time to provide this information.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711