iPhone 5S iOS 8 update

vigilant

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
iOS 8 right now is running about as smooth as iOS 7.1.2 was. The GM seems way more responsive compared to me then the betas. I am running all A7 hardware right now. If you are running into issues it may be worth doing a full restore to factory settings?

GusHerb

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
iOS 8 is working exactly like iOS 7 on my 5S. The only problem I had was the dialer app locked up after a call and I couldn't even force close it in the app drawer, requiring a reboot.

I'd say at the very worst iOS 8 is like iOS 7 before 7.1 came out, but it's still better for me then iOS 7.0 was.

ChaosShadow

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Since I've updated, my 5S runs smooth for the most part, but then it will lag to the point of not responding to anything. Sleep/Wake and home button are unresponsive too. Lasts for about a minute or so, and then it's back to normal. Doesn't matter what app I'm using. I updated OTA And have tried regular reboots and a hard reset too. Still happens. I'm hoping an update will fix this... Really don't want to do a clean install. :(

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Mine is running fine here. I noticed my battery life was a lot worse yesterday. Now it's better than iOS 7. Just going to let it work for a while. Seems to be getting better and faster as the day goes on. Restart it a few time and just let it bake for a while and see what it does.

Spaz888

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello JB

The iOS 8 update on the 5s shouldn't slow down your device at all. Try doing a Hard Reset by holding the power and home button down at the same time until the screen goes dark wait a few seconds and then power your device back up

Also go to the App Store and make sure your getting all the app updates for iOS 8 there are a lot of them coming in hourly
That's not true. With each major update, your device slows down. Granted, for the most part, most people probably wouldn't notice a difference unless you have two devices, one with and the other without side by side. However, for the astute like myself, I do notice a difference. I noticed a difference immediately with the 5 when iOS 7 came about. It wasn't a big difference but it was there.

My rule of thumb is never update iOS more than one major update eg. iPhone 5 was introduced with iOS 6 and I upgraded to iOS 7. iOS 8 is really pushing it. One might not notice a big difference if you run very few apps or very light apps. For me, I run over 130+ apps and of course, I see the difference even though others may not.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
what device do you have? you can't save blobs with iphone 5+

I kept IOS 8 on my iPhone 5, and restored my iPad 2 back to 7.1.2 because it seemed to take longer opening some apps, and did not add to much for the ipad 2... Anyways as of Sept. 18, at 10:00pm Apple was still signing IOS 7.1.2.. I just downloaded the proper ipsw file, put my ipad into dfu mode, and did a shift restore in itunes, no problems at all, and my ipad works like a charm now..well as well as an iPad 2 can work ;)

Devin Mariah

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I am an iPhone 4S user and have no courage to update when thinking of the pain iPhone 4 users going through when iOS 7 comes. While for the users who want to update, my suggestion is clean up your iPhone with some 3rd party software like Macgo iPhone Cleaner for Mac. On the one hand, more space will be freed up for the iOS 8 install, on the other hand, it can also speed up your iPhone.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a 5, with a lesser processor than the 5S, and no issues with it. Maybe a hint of delay here and there, but could be my imagination :) If it's just a hint on the 5, it should be non-existent on the 5S.

iBright

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Updated 3 days ago n restored back to 7.1.2. Surprisingly it worked. Not going back until one or 2 more update

iPhone 5S Gold ( iOS 7.1.2 )

billyboydoy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I updated 2 days ago and at first night it was real pain specialy with battery drain and overheat so I decided to restore as new phone and bang,, now I am completely satisfied ... It's great .. The best.
Love iOS 8

iBright

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I updated 2 days ago and at first night it was real pain specialy with battery drain and overhit so I decided to restore as new phone and bang,, now I am completely satisfied ... It's great .. The best.

Sure had no issues myself but just think it's too early to use it. Plus I missed my jailbreak lol

iPhone 5S Gold ( iOS 7.1.2 )

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I updated 2 days ago and at first night it was real pain specialy with battery drain and overheat so I decided to restore as new phone and bang,, now I am completely satisfied ... It's great .. The best.
Restoring as new can be time consuming, but the benefits, at least in my experience, is well worth it...:)

Spaz888

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Well, I jailbreaked my iPhone 5 just so I wouldn't be plagued by this update. I guess I can't avoid it now. My jailbreak (Pangu) isn't stable so I have to do a DFU restore which will update automatically to iOS 8. I dunno how people who jailbreak can put up with that the instability.

Once I update, I will report back and let everyone know how much RAM is sucked up by iOS 8.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR