iOS 8 on iPhone 5s

jxng

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello all!

Three days ago I installed iOS 8 GM. I had it installed until yesterday that I downgraded to iOS 7.1.2. My experience with iOS 8:

At first it ran somewhat sluggish, but I rebooted the phone and ran better. Still, I found it not to be as polished as it could:

Control center and notification center dropdown animation is not as smooth as in iOS 7.1.2. Usable, but not buttery smooth. Control center appears a couple of miliseconds after I swipe - annoying.

Assistive Touch with 5 options (i only use "home" and "device") too cramped for 4" screens. feels designed for iPhone 6

Weather app is wonderfully updated and all, but it fails miserably as it chokes like an android phone when pinching-to-zoom in or out of a city. Horrible. Also noticeable when pressing the list button to see all cities.

Photos app sometimes struggle with the animations when pinching out of a photo to return to gallery view.

Swiping from the left side to the screen to get back, at least in the Music app, doesnt seem to work all the time- 30% of the time it wouldn't notice my input.

Battery life SEEMS shorter.

A positive thing: Touch ID appears to be more accurate, but it could be that me fingerprints had to be rescanned after the update.

iOS 8 brings with it wonderful and needed additions, but it seems Apple didn't do its homework complete when it comes to UI animations ? just too many dropped fps in a year-old 5s. We, as Apple users, have come to expect perfect animation timing as in iOS 7.1.2.

Personally, I value too much the smoothness of iOS 7.1.2 to install iOS 8. I would love to install iOS 8 when it is as smooth.

Do you think Apple will fix these problems in a 8.1 update?

Do you have these problems too?

Thanks for reading!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
First, it must be noted that not everyone who was using iOS 8 GM experienced the things you mentioned. Second, did you install it and then set it up as new? Third, whether an alleged iOS 8.01 or 8.x will fix the issues you're having remains to be seen. In the meantime, if you do opt to download the official iOS 8, I recommend you install a fresh copy and set it up as new.

jxng

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I restored from a backup - dont wanna lose my photos and contacts. I hope Apple continues to polish iOS 8 - the new features seem really neat and useful!

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
When I installed the GM I also experienced the same exact issues. Same issues also on my iPad Air so I decided not to update any of my every day devices to iOS 8.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen