Health app battery drain

rstark18

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Since loading the GM I have noticed a huge battery drain. I did not do a clean install so it might be that. But I was wondering if anyone else that is using the Health app has noticed this. I have it set to record distance, steps, flights climbed (even though the 5s doesn't record any data).
It seems to be ALWAYS recording this info even if the app has been force quit. I would think this would be a big battery drain.
I've just removed these items from the Health dashboard. Is that the way to disable it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't use it other than for medical ID purposes. Having said that, if it is constantly tracking your movements, I can see how it can be a strain on the battery. Still, maybe a restore as new will be beneficial to you.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
It is not the health app that is affecting the battery. Even without the health app the M7 chip on the iPhone 5S was constantly recording the information on iOS7.

I would check the background refresh settings and see what apps are running there to begin with. Also, more information will help - did you do a fresh install or restore from backup? Have you installed any news apps after the iOS 8 install.

The apps are not optimized for iOS 8 so some apps could also be the culprit.

Also, people tend to use the phone slightly more when the new iOS releases, do you think this could also be the reason for the battery drain?