IOS 8 running on iPad 2

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone is using IOS 8 on their iPad 2 and how it is working? I purchased an ipad 2 yesterday from a friend and am wondering if I should update it or not? Just wondering if ios 8 makes it horribly sluggish or will I stay about consistent with 7.1.2? I have an iphone 5 and upgraded to 8 and on that device it seems to be running fine.. Any help would be great..thanks!!!

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I ran iOS 8 beta on my iPad 2 for ages and it worked perfectly. No lag, no increased battery draw and no errors at all. I'm more than happy to install it on my iPad 2 in a couple of days.

Chris Cook5

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I have an ipad 2 that I thought I would use more but I don't use it hardly at all. Why is apple still supporting ipad 2 & not 3gs..LOL

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
@Chris because iPad 2 is used by almost all businesses, schools and colleges that utilize Apple products, and Apple doesn't want to disappoint them.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This is good to hear. I've got an iPad 3 that I'm not ready to put away yet.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s until my iPhone 6 128G Gold arrives

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the supporting the 3gs is a tad different.. Figure the ipad 2 was released March 2011, and the Iphone 4s was released Sept 2011, and that is still being supported.. And for me it wasn't a big deal..I bought this Ipad 2 in good condition, nice battery life, for $100.00 from my neighbor who wasnt using it anymore..the only problem is now I have a nexus 7" tablet that I dont know which one to use..lol.. Hopefully the ios 8 on this ipad 2 is not to bad, because I know after tomorrow Apple will no longer be signing IOs 7.1.2 so there is no going back.

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Remember it is probably a slightly stripped down version of iOS 8 and I assume it will be the same for iOS 9 if Apple decides to support it.

The main reason is the customer satisfaction in allowing them to download apps and updates for specific apps so that you are able to get the best experience. On the other side, it also helps developers.

Android and fragmentation - Apple wants to avoid getting into that situation.

M.Rizk

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Remember it is probably a slightly stripped down version of iOS 8 and I assume it will be the same for iOS 9 if Apple decides to support it.

The main reason is the customer satisfaction in allowing them to download apps and updates for specific apps so that you are able to get the best experience. On the other side, it also helps developers.

Android and fragmentation - Apple wants to avoid getting into that situation.

iPad 2 should support everything iOS 8 would offer but:
1. AirDrop
2. Continuity (Handing off documents from Mac, to your iPad)

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
iPad 2 should support everything iOS 8 would offer but:
1. AirDrop
2. Continuity (Handing off documents from Mac, to your iPad)

Exactly, stripped down version of iOS 8, right? Loose few features that the hardware cannot support.

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input everyone! So I am guessing everyone on here with an 'older' ipad 2 like mine will be upgrading to IOS 8 without hesitation?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2