Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By warcraftWidow
  • 1 Post By ghostface147
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

8 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Default iCloud Keychain feature questions

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I wasn't able to find an iCloud one.

Has anyone ever used this feature? If so, how well does it work?

Also, is data stored on your device or on Apple's iCloud servers? At the keynote, I know that they talked about any payment information related to Apple pay being saved on your phone so Apple can't access it, but I'm wondering if it's the same with keychain.

8,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,342 Global Posts

Default Re: iCloud Keychain feature questions

The keychain is at least somewhat cloud based because it will sync between devices. However I do t really use it much because I use 1Password.
    theycallmejay likes this.
    iMore Genius

3,682 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,789 Global Posts

The only reason I don't use it is because it doesn't support windows.
    timswork likes this.
    iMore Newbie

20 Posts

Exactly. I would use iCloud Keychain if it weren't for the fact that I'm forced to use a Windows PC at work.

Everything else I have is either an iDevice or a Mac. It would be great if Apple would add iCloud Keychain extension onto iCloud Control Panel for Windows. Life would be so much easier.
    iMore Pro

548 Posts

Firstly, the concept of keychain - just like your browser or any other password managers keychains are used to store usernames and password. It was stored locally but with iCloud, just like everything else it is saved on the iCloud. If you are in the iOS ecosystem it will be available across all your devices instantly. The best part is password recommendations. I love this feature and have used it on a lot of websites. I don't have to remember the passwords and it will autofill for me across the devices.

Yes, I have used it on Mavericks and Yosemite and it works like charm on iOS 8 and iOS 7. If I need to find a particular login in the keychain there is an option to do that within the keychain settings within Safari on iOS settings so I can use it on windows PCs if required.

I haven't heard any negative feedback on the iCloud keychain on multiple threads. The best option is to check it out yourself.

Hope this helps...