Swiftkey for iOS 8

anon175469

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
delete and reinstall swift key, make sure it has full access, and delete the native english keyboard. Also make sure that swift key is the first keyboard on the list, above the emoji

Thank you. I've been a Swiftkey user for years on Android, so I was pumped about having it on iOS, heck even being able to swipe on iOS. I was worried that it was half-baked implementation, but hopefully this will fix it.

My only qualm is that there's no voice dictation (i.e. no mic) which I used a lot on the stock kb.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have found SwiftKey does not work well in some places. When trying to review an app in the App Store, I could not see the text field. Also issues in other apps. Have gone back to stock predictive keyboard. Maybe SwiftKey will update to resolve the issues.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have found SwiftKey does not work well in some places. When trying to review an app in the App Store, I could not see the text field. Also issues in other apps. Have gone back to stock predictive keyboard. Maybe SwiftKey will update to resolve the issues.

My sentiments exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Penny

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site

Deleted it this morning - utterly infuriating! If it was installed with the default keyboard, I would just get the default keyboard all the time (despite SK being prioritised above it in the keyboard settings. If I deleted the stock keyboard, I wouldn't get any keyboard in most apps. Might go back if they sort the issues out in the next week or two.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So tried it for a few days and while I like the typing experience, Swiftkey seems way too resource hungry for a keyboard. It's often quite laggy to display compared to other add-on keyboards and it's constantly showing up high in my battery usage list. I've decided to stick with Swype for the time being, much lower resource usage and the keyboard appears much quicker.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I found Swift Key to be quirky also when I tried it. The very first keyboard I downloaded as soon as I installed iOS 8 was Swype, I then ventured after a day or so to try SwiftKey but I didn't like it as much. I LOVE using Swype tho☺ it's what works best for me:)

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Swype and the only issue I have is the limited emoji options. But I'm not going to sweat it. This is three first version. They will add more features and fix the bugs soon. I will wait. Been wanting the Swype keyboard on iOS for so long, not going to complain now.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Deleted it this morning - utterly infuriating! If it was installed with the default keyboard, I would just get the default keyboard all the time (despite SK being prioritised above it in the keyboard settings. If I deleted the stock keyboard, I wouldn't get any keyboard in most apps. Might go back if they sort the issues out in the next week or two.
Did you give it full access?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411319774.514104.jpg

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Saw on the forums, that the voice dictation isn't going to be incorporated into the keyboard at all. That's kind of a dealbreaker. I was fine with the feature being absent for the moment, but to not have it ever is a no go.

Sent from my iPad Air. Best tablet on the planet.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Saw on the forums, that the voice dictation isn't going to be incorporated into the keyboard at all. That's kind of a dealbreaker. I was fine with the feature being absent for the moment, but to not have it ever is a no go.

Sent from my iPad Air. Best tablet on the planet.

I wouldn't say never. Currently Apple hasn't opened up the microphone API to keyboards, but what's to say it won't be available in a future iOS update?

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to rethink my need for swiftkey. The native keyboard does pretty much the same thing and seems to have my typing habits already down. Plus I can use my keyboard shortcuts. I think I might delete it for now. Anyone else come to the same conclusion?

No because the numbers do not show up along with the letters. I wrote elsewhere I installed a keyboard but do not know how to make that my default keyboard.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB

tharley46

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey Honey Beagle---Go to your keyboards in settings and click on edit. Then hold down on hash marks of the keyboard that you want to make default and move to the top then click done. It should then be default. That's what I did with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73