iOS 8 is a copy of the Blackberry OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The title says that you think that "iOS 8 is a copy of the Blackberry OS". You left yourself very little wiggle room on that one. You didn?t say it "looked like", "resembled" or "reminds me of" - you suggested that it was "a copy of".

To the OP's credit, he did not post the current title of this thread. I did. It's my job to alter titles to better fit the OP's point, and if you read his first two posts, the thread title is befitting. His second post stated,

"Use a BlackBerry and then IOS 8....and I know apple is going to get the credit, I mean I respect apple and all but this is a carbon copy".

That is his primary point as I understood it to be at the time I made the title change. Befitting? Yep...:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I simply wanted to make a discussion point, not cause outrage

Posted via the iMore App for Android on BlackBerry

You are not causing an outrage, and if you were, we would be taking action accordingly. Members are reading your posts and responding. Although you could very well be quite innocent in regard to intent, you still are partly to blame for the replies you are receiving. You started this thread with what could be perceived as a humorous slight against iOS 8, and in your second post, you called it a carbon copy of Blackberry. You did that in an Apple-centric forum. Did you honestly think that all of your replies would be in agreement with you?

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I go visit Crackberry here and there, but don't criticize or insinuate anything negative about the products the good folks at Crackberry seem to enjoy. I could see it coming from this OP with comments made on another thread. Here we are high on the upcoming Keynote, iP6 release and the iOS 8 release, among other things, and he comes in here saying iOS 8 is a copy of the Zxxx Blackberry? I have to give him credit for bravery! He knew exactly what he was doing. It's called pushing buttons. Amusing.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I go visit Crackberry here and there, but don't criticize or insinuate anything negative about the products the good folks at Crackberry seem to enjoy. I could see it coming from this OP with comments made on another thread. Here we are high on the upcoming Keynote, iP6 release and the iOS 8 release, among other things, and he comes in here saying iOS 8 is a copy of the Zxxx Blackberry? I have to give him credit for bravery! He knew exactly what he was doing. It's called pushing buttons. Amusing.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

I?m just going to drop this in here, and then move along.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[SUP][1][/SUP] by posting inflammatory,[SUP][2][/SUP] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[SUP][3][/SUP] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[SUP][4][/SUP]

laingman

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Yep, it's hyped so much that you felt the need to come here and post....

I'm sure most can admit that there has always been a certain amount of hype surrounding the iphone with multiple millions having one just to be able to say they have an iphone.

The iphone is OK. It does what a modern smarthphone is supposed to do. My girlfriend has one and I have no problems giving it back to her, dont have to pry it out of my hands or anything like that. But for the things I do the most my pre2 does it better

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I simply wanted to make a discussion point, not cause outrage

Posted via the iMore App for Android on BlackBerry

Your very first post in the thread seems to contradict that. After your initial premise suffers from a reality check.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure most can admit that there has always been a certain amount of hype surrounding the iphone with multiple millions having one just to be able to say they have an iphone.

The iphone is OK. It does what a modern smarthphone is supposed to do. My girlfriend has one and I have no problems giving it back to her, dont have to pry it out of my hands or anything like that. But for the things I do the most my pre2 does it better

Hype can just as easily be described as excitement. Customers feel excited which causes the media to react which causes more excitement. In comes Apple's marketing which is excellent as promoting its products as any company WANTING to sell its products should be, and very unlike the other company at the heart of this thread, which can't find its marketing department or its message as to who its customers are. So hype? Could just as easily call it excitement as a reflection of its customer base.

Now, as to your statement regarding the multiple millions who presumably buy iPhones just to be able to say they've got an iPhone......I left high school over a quarter of a century ago. I buy what I want, wear the clothes I want, cut my hair super short because it freed me, don't accept anyone telling me what to do, and generally give as good as I get. I get iPhones because they do what I want them to do FOR ME. I don't care one flying fig what anyone thinks of what I've got, what I use, what I buy, what I wear. So no.....I don't buy iPhones because millions do. And I am completely certain that I am not unique.

So there goes that theory as to iPhone's popularity.

Now....why do you feel the need to offer up an opinion as to your girlfriend's iPhone? You don't like it.....fine. Who cares? I don't like the little Motorola phones. Who cares? My significant other won't be caught dead with anything other than a Blackberry. Who cares? Each person is different. Each should use what they like without the judgement, posturing, trolling, insults.

There is so much going wrong in the world. Do we really need to antagonise and provoke and insult and attack each other over PHONES?!???

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s

laingman

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
Sorry. I was just pointing out that success (and failure) has as much to do with intangibles such as luck, hype, marketing,being in the right place, being first out the gate and such things and is not solely based on merit. The iphone is OK, they got a bigger phone coming out, I can just imagine the lines, they gonna be twice as rich probly, good for them

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry. I was just pointing out that success (and failure) has as much to do with intangibles such as luck, hype, marketing,being in the right place, being first out the gate and such things and is not solely based on merit. The iphone is OK, they got a bigger phone coming out, I can just imagine the lines, they gonna be twice as rich probly, good for them

Perhaps. Luck would work as a one-off. Hype would work as a one-off. Marketing would work for initial purchase but not for return purchases and certainly marketing could not prevent phone returns if the device doesn't work. Being in the right place is certainly a factor, but that can only account for the launch of something and not after several years of growth. Being first out the gate can only happen once. When looking at the points you raised, given the fact that the iPhone has grown year over year and has increased in popularity year over year and is the number one OEM in the U.S., I would say that nothing is left except merit.
That some don't like iPhones is true. That some prefer other platforms is true. But to dismiss the iPhone's place in the smartphone world as luck, first out of the gate, fashion, hype, etc is illogical at best and disingenuous at worst. Remember the "you can fool some of the people all of the time etc etc etc" line? Well, then, it is unreasonable, illogical, and blind to dismiss the iPhone as a "happening" with no substance.
Say you don't like the iPhone....sure, no problem. But lucky hype whose success is due to marketing with so real substance and being first out of the gate, seven years out? No. That is illogical.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

There's nothing wrong with that. No device is for "everyone", but almost everyone favors a particular device. To each his or her own is how I see it...:)

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Why would I be joking? Do you see how many posts I have on webOS Nation?

Those that don't know or care how much webOS contributed to the current state of mobile OSes should at least give it a little respect

As a daily user of an HP Touchpad and a webOSNation follower I miss the glory days of the fluent interface I enjoy with my tablet

I'm also very pleased with the way Apple has implemented many of the key features that work so well with iOS and will continue in iOS 8

It's a Win Win for all Consumers

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Those that don't know or care how much webOS contributed to the current state of mobile OSes should at least give it a little respect

As a daily user of an HP Touchpad and a webOSNation follower I miss the glory days of the fluent interface I enjoy with my tablet

I'm also very pleased with the way Apple has implemented many of the key features that work so well with iOS and will continue in iOS 8

It's a Win Win for all Consumers

and that's the key, isn't it? That it doesn't matter who created what, unless you are the creator. What matters is that each innovation and new approach to something pushes tech forward. And that's to ALL our benefit.

BBZ10wannabe

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea how iOS8 compares to BB10 and as far as who copies whom they all do it as I understand to some extent but as a BBRY fan all I can say is that if IOS copied any features from BlackBerry well imitation is the highest form of flattery so from that perspective BlackBerry should be flattered and find a way to improve even more. For example the opposite may be true in the upcoming release of BB10.3 BlackBerry apparently dropped their "touch anywhere" to take a picture and adopted the more conventional "touch here" to take a picture approach. Personally I like the current way but more people are familiar with the iOS way and it looks like BlackBerry will go that way too. Such is life.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea how iOS8 compares to BB10 and as far as who copies whom they all do it as I understand to some extent but as a BBRY fan all I can say is that if IOS copied any features from BlackBerry well imitation is the highest form of flattery so from that perspective BlackBerry should be flattered and find a way to improve even more. For example the opposite may be true in the upcoming release of BB10.3 BlackBerry apparently dropped their "touch anywhere" to take a picture and adopted the more conventional "touch here" to take a picture approach. Personally I like the current way but more people are familiar with the iOS way and it looks like BlackBerry will go that way too. Such is life.

Very true. One would hope that WebOS would be very flattered that BlackBerry chose their OS when they decided to create BB10, which was arguably BlackBerry's greatest gamble. As I said earlier, it was lucky for BlackBerry that WebOS didn't choose to sue them for copying WebOS. We would not have BB10 without WebOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2