How will Apple pre-install iOS 8 on the upcoming iPhones?

vegas2014

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys i was wondering about the iOS installation process on upcoming iPhones: for example, the iPhone 6 will be launched in September with iOS 8, though iOS 8 is still in beta and the GM will be released just few days before the actual launch...so how the iPhones that have been manufactured during the period of iOS 8 BETA, when we buy them they come with iOS 8 GM/ Final version??? Thanks

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
They will come with the public release version of iOS 8. The key word is released, Apple doesn't necessarily release betas right as they are finished.

vegas2014

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Of course..what i am saying is how an iPhone 6 manufactured in early July, with iOS 8 released to the public in September, gets the final iOS 8?!

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Of course..what i am saying is how an iPhone 6 manufactured in early July, with iOS 8 released to the public in September, gets the final iOS 8?!

I assume they use a tool like they have for enterprises which allows them to update a large number of devices at one time. I think that tool is called Apple Configurator

vegas2014

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
so basically at the apple stores they unwrap the boxes, update the iPhone and wrap them up again? XD

thanks anyway for following my foolish thoughts

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
i would imagine...still it's interesting to know how they pull it off, since i recall my iphone 5s at launch day came with the public version of iOS 7..
Okay, well, feel free to contact a nearby Apple Store and ask. Did you see the post above by kch50428?

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
There was a picture floating around inside Apple, showing about 100+ Lightning connectors plug into iPhones, thus showing iOS being loaded inline at a plant...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My guess is iOS 8 is done. We just don't see it. Any minor issues they see now with the latest beta will probably be addressed in iOS 8.0.1.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have never purchased a device on the actual launch day, but in the past I've noticed that as soon as the device is activated there is a prompt to update the latest OS. I would think this will also be the case if the iPhone 6 launches with iOS7 .....I can't imagine Apple launching a product with an OS still in Beta on the device, and with the millions of devices that need assembling, packaging and shipping either iOS8 is ready or the first/second wave of devices will probably ship with iOS7(which I doubt) with an immediate prompt to update to iOS8 upon activation.....just my .02 cents.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711