Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By the_tech_eater
  • 1 Post By AAA1337
  • 4 Post By Spencerdl
  • 1 Post By Ledsteplin
  • 3 Post By kataran
  • 1 Post By H A W K
  • 1 Post By RainNguyen
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,771 Global Posts

Default Why I will always use iOS:

John Yester and AAA1337 like this.
    iMore Beginner

Default Re: Why I will always use iOS:

Yeah, that's why I love iOS too. Yesterday my friend mentioned how Facebook somehow knows all the apps on his Nexus and asks him to like their FB pages and rate them. I mentioned the recent uproar over what their Terms and Permissions says, and then asked why they don't just revoke Facebook's permissions.

Every single guy in the room looked at me like I just said I'd been to Mars or something.

Now, I don't know whether it actually is impossible to control app permissions, or whether my friends were just unaware. Google is turning up conflicting reports, some saying it has an absolutely broken system, others saying it has no system at all.either way it's hilarious to see the uproar over something that barely even worries me.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Last edited by AAA1337; 08-11-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    the_tech_eater likes this.

Global Posts
    6,405 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I don't mind using Google apps on my iPhone but I always limit it's activities in settings as much as I can
    iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)

Global Posts
    2,775 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The annoying part of that is it does it for pretty much every app, even the core ones.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    The annoying part of that is it does it for pretty much every app, even the core ones.
    That's the best part! I want to be able to decide what apps have my location and what apps don't.

Global Posts
    2,775 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by the_tech_eater View Post
    That's the best part! I want to be able to decide what apps have my location and what apps don't.
    You could always do it in the privacy and location settings menus, the pop up is annoying because it interrupts usage
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rayz336 View Post
    You could always do it in the privacy and location settings menus, the pop up is annoying because it interrupts usage
    True.

I remember when I said "I will always use a Blackberry"......Hummm

Location settings don't worry me. I'm more concerned with apps that have my information in some form or another. I use an app called MyPermissions. It shows which apps have what information. When I first used this app I discovered there were apps I had long ago deleted that still had access to some of my personal info. I revoked access for those. I find apps that show up in Facebook that I did not give permission. I revoked those. It's an interesting app and an eye opener.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mype...0l3Vy&ct=vb_im

Why I will always use iOS:-imageuploadedbytapatalk1407806663.006137.jpg
    Thanked by:
    the_tech_eater (08-11-2014)
    nikkisharif likes this.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,771 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Location settings don't worry me. I'm more concerned with apps that have my information in some form or another. I use an app called MyPermissions. It shows which apps have what information. When I first used this app I discovered there were apps I had long ago deleted that still had access to some of my personal info. I revoked access for those. I find apps that show up in Facebook that I did not give permission. I revoked those. It's an interesting app and an eye opener.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407806663.006137.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	62589
    Thanks for sharing!
    iMore Beginner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407806663.006137.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	62589
    I'm curious, how does this work? Apple does not natively offer support to change any of the privacy settings other than the ones under Settings > Privacy, and I thought no App Store app is allowed to change OS-level settings.

How is this app capable of blocking other apps from accessing other apps, and how is revoking access to settings that Apple does not give you any option to disable in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by AAA1337 View Post
    I'm curious, how does this work? Apple does not natively offer support to change any of the privacy settings other than the ones under Settings > Privacy, and I thought no App Store app is allowed to change OS-level settings.

How is this app capable of blocking other apps from accessing other apps, and how is revoking access to settings that Apple does not give you any option to disable in the first place?
    It can revoke access to stuff like log in info and other personal info those apps may have. You authorize it. They don't do anything without your ok. It is, after all, your personal info. I'd rather some long ago deleted app not have my email address. It may be why I get so much email spam. We tend to forget the information some apps ask for. It's mostly Google and Facebook. I've given Documents 5 permission to access my Dropbox account. I can revoke that if I choose to.
    iMore Beginner

It can revoke access to stuff like log in info and other personal info those apps may have. You authorize it. They don't do anything without your ok. It is, after all, your personal info. I'd rather some long ago deleted app not have my email address. It may be why I get so much email spam. We tend to forget the information some apps ask for. It's mostly Google and Facebook. I've given Documents 5 permission to access my Dropbox account. I can revoke that if I choose to.
    Oh that's actually cool. I'll give this app a try. I download so much junk, I don't know how many apps have my info to sell, if this can revoke all my login info, I'll be happy.

22 apps have access to my Twitter account. GEEZ! One I've never heard of. Googled it, and it seems harmless. C-Span's DebateHub. ?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts

22 apps have access to my Twitter account. GEEZ! One I've never heard of. Googled it, and it seems harmless. C-Span's DebateHub. ?
    It may seem harmless, but if it's not doing you any good, might be doing something bad..

Technology is making us paranoid people. Not just a made up thing either. Read an interesting article the other day that cell phones, computers actually lower testosterone in males, and heighten anxiety in both male and females. Whether that's true or not who knows... I can see re testosterone thing being true as men are spending less time doing manly things and more time on their cell phones and tablets.

" Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that , who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"

Global Posts
    6,405 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    Technology is making us paranoid people. Not just a made up thing either. Read an interesting article the other day that cell phones, computers actually lower testosterone in males, and heighten anxiety in both male and females. Whether that's true or not who knows... I can see re testosterone thing being true as men are spending less time doing manly things and more time on their cell phones and tablets.

I'm afraid to believe this as truth but am compelled to believe it some how
    iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    I'm afraid to believe this as truth but am compelled to believe it some how
    I know right..?

" Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that , who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
    kataran likes this.
    iMore Newbie

I always use IOS too
    iMore Newbie

IOS the best OS on mobile, i used.
    It very beautiful.
    the_tech_eater likes this.

Global Posts
    15,745 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.x.x

Amazing on iOS 8 shows on how many apps sharing location, etc... But in reality when app is first launched it will ask if you want to share your location... Or a user can go into location services and toggle those off. Not rocket science, but I guess some don't know what to look for. So Apple will "Show them the way"
    John Yester
    Moderator Team Leader, iMore.com

iMore Newbie

HAHA! That's great =P.