iOS 8 beta 5 is out. Submit feedback and bugs here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Funny thing is the download could be downloaded over LTE. Either Apple doesn't ( bc the phones would seem slow) or verizon won't let you ( Verizon hates anyone with unlimited data )

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Some OTA's could reach over 100 MB's and the iPhone is set to make cellular downloads for no more than 100 MB's. So if people regularly download an OTA on cellular data and then a big update over 100 MB's occur, they'll start complaining as to why they need WiFi because they won't understand the 100 MB limit.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Some OTA's could reach over 100 MB's and the iPhone is set to make cellular downloads for no more than 100 MB's. So if people regularly download an OTA on cellular data and then a big update over 100 MB's occur, they'll start complaining as to why they need WiFi because they won't understand the 100 MB limit.

Then why can't I install a OTA update that is 19 MB over cellular data?

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Then why can't I install a OTA update that is 19 MB over cellular data?

If this is an OTA for software update, there are multiple communications happening back and forth with servers so you might be using far more than the displayed size. So just to be on the safer side OTA is restricted to wifi only.

The other limit is for the app store. You can download the 19MB using cellular there.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The unread feature bug in Tapatalk Pro has been fixed. It no longer crashes.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Because Apple and the carriers would rather just keep it WiFi only to avoid what I just explained.

If this is an OTA for software update, there are multiple communications happening back and forth with servers so you might be using far more than the displayed size. So just to be on the safer side OTA is restricted to wifi only.

The other limit is for the app store. You can download the 19MB using cellular there.

Ok, I just don't get why I need wifi to download the OTA update, but I can be connected to cellular data while the update is preparing and while installing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Was the "recently used" emoticons present in the previous betas? If so, I hadn't noticed.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407174583.975379.jpg

Lozi

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Can someone shed some light on the whatsapp bug (crash when sending or receiving words with ff, fl or fi), thanks in advance.

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Was the "recently used" emoticons present in the previous betas? If so, I hadn't noticed.

View attachment 62126

That's on iOS 7 too...
a9uvydar.jpg

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Ok, I just don't get why I need wifi to download the OTA update, but I can be connected to cellular data while the update is preparing and while installing.

Because installing isn't going to hinder on your cellular data as much as it would downloading it. Think of it like this. The typical teenage girl that follows Selena Fernandez on Twitter has downloaded her last two OTA updates with cellular data. They were 25 and 72 megabytes. Then one day an OTA update shows up and it's 150 megabytes. The phone is set up to not allow downloads of over 100 MB's. So she throws a hissyfit about needing to be connected to WiFi and starts complaining on the internet about it. Apple and the carriers would rather just restrict OTA to Wifi only for a reason like this.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Then there's the legions of problems between chairs and devices that would raise a ruckus when an OTA software update caused a data cap to be blown, and overage charges to be incurred...

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Because installing isn't going to hinder on your cellular data as much as it would downloading it. Think of it like this. The typical teenage girl that follows Selena Fernandez on Twitter has downloaded her last two OTA updates with cellular data. They were 25 and 72 megabytes. Then one day an OTA update shows up and it's 150 megabytes. The phone is set up to not allow downloads of over 100 MB's. So she throws a hissyfit about needing to be connected to WiFi and starts complaining on the internet about it. Apple and the carriers would rather just restrict OTA to Wifi only for a reason like this.

Then there's the legions of problems between chairs and devices that would raise a ruckus when an OTA software update caused a data cap to be blown, and overage charges to be incurred...

That is true... I guess I could tether to another device to download OTA updates while on the go...

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
"I have several contacts with pictures. If I click on "contacts", and then click on a contact that has a photo, it will show the correct photo. But, if I hit the "back" button, and choose another contact with a photo, it shows the previous person's photo. If I then hit "back", and then select the same contact again, it shows the correct photo. Is this just a glitch in my phone, or has anyone else noticed it?"

That was on 4. It is fixed on 5.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Did my iPad WIFI/OTA - tried iTunes12 beta to do the iPhone - iTunes wouldn't see an update available - did wifi/ota - all well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox