Tried to go back to iOS 7.1.2 now just searching

bellifritz

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought a used iPhone 5 with iOS 8 beta. I followed a online guide to go back to 7.1.2, but now the phone just constantly shows searching and won't activate. I'm lost and could really use some help to make the phone functional again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using iMore Forums mobile app

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought a used iPhone 5 with iOS 8 beta. I followed a online guide to go back to 7.1.2, but now the phone just constantly shows searching and won't activate. I'm lost and could really use some help to make the phone functional again.

1. Be patient & reboot the device to see if the activation will take.
2. If you're being asked to enter a passcode in order to activate then more than likely the iCloud activation lock is enabled and you will need to know the previous owner's passcode to unlock it.
3. If you are NOT being asked to enter a passcode to activate it, go to Settings - General -Reset and then select "Reset Network Settings". You will need to re-enter your Wi-Fi passcode, if applicable.
4. If that does not work, try putting the device in DFU mode and then restore it via your computer's iTunes app. Afterwards, set it up as a new device and not from a backup.

bellifritz

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
None of that worked. This is an at&t 32 GB iPhone 5. I used the gsm version of 7.1.2. Could I have installed the wrong software? It just says searching where the signal bars are supposed to be and fails activation. It never gets to the point of asking for an ID or password.

bellifritz

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Used a different computer and restored the phone a couple more times and it finally worked. I'm back to iOS 7.1.2 and the phone is fully functional.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
That seems like a carrier issue. You may have to contact them because it didn't properly go through the system.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Used a different computer and restored the phone a couple more times and it finally worked. I'm back to iOS 7.1.2 and the phone is fully functional.

A little bit of perseverance goes a long way, huh?...:)...Anyway, I'm glad you got it working, and thank you for the update. Enjoy your weekend...:)

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro