After updating to iOS 8 beta 4, will I be able to restore my iCloud backup?

shady360

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I'm getting ready to install iOS 8 beta 4 on my 5s, and I have a question: I did an iCloud backup, can I restore after I update and have all my apps and settings (email, iMessage, etc) back, or am I starting from scratch like it's a new phone and hafta add everything back manually?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums app

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I'm getting ready to install iOS 8 beta 4 on my 5s, and I have a question: I did an iCloud backup, can I restore after I update and have all my apps and settings (email, iMessage, etc) back, or am I starting from scratch like it's a new phone and hafta add everything back manually?

You can restore from iCloud but in the beta 4 thread I read that there's been a problem when doing so. I would recommend backing up to iTunes then restoring from there once you install beta 4.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

You should be able to restore an iOS 7.x backup made to your computer onto a phone running iOS 8 betas. You cannot, however, go the other way. (actually you can, but it’s a rather convoluted process to get there).

From the release notes: said:
Backup and Restore

Known Issue: A restoration of an iCloud backup onto the same device the backup was taken from may not work properly. It may result in crashes of some apps.

Workaround: If you want to completely wipe the data from a device and restore it, use iTunes to backup and restore instead of iCloud.

shady360

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys. I just want to clarify to make sure we're on the same page...so I'm installing iOS 8 beta 4. It's like a new device, none of my apps, settings, etc, are there. If I do a restore of the iOS 7.1.2 backup I made, will it add all my apps and settings to the iOS 8 beta, or do I need to download all the apps, and set all that stuff manually?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I've never had luck with restoring from backup on iOS 8 even in the previous betas. I've always pressed shift+update rather than shift+restore. I get all of my settings from iOS 7 and apps. No problems at all. Just make sure you do a manual backup to iTunes because you can't use a backup from iOS 8 on iOS 7 when using iCloud backup. If anything goes wrong just restore back to iOS 7 using the backup in iTunes.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73