iOS 8 Beta 4 for developers is available - Discuss bugs etc. here

Status
Not open for further replies.

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The keyboard bug appeared using Quick Reply with the phone unlocked. I didn't encounter the bug using Quick Reply on the lock screen.

Yeah another user and I discussed it and they seem to think the keyboard isn't aligned correctly. That's why hitting "Space" cues a "b". Annoying but nothing to fret about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is much, much better. Total 180 for me. I've been off charger since 10 last night and am at 87%, with beta 3 I'd be at 30. Hell the first night with beta 3 I dropped 60% on standby overnight. I woke up still at 100 this morning.

Very pleased.

I had tapatalk crashes but in uninstalled and reinstalled and all fixed.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I just finished restoring as new and am in the process of putting things the way I want it. The overall stability of beta 4, at least on my iPhone 5, appears better than beta 3 thus far, and I used beta 3 as my daily driver for its duration.

I agree it is very smooth and does seem to improve in the stability department. Just amazes me how the squash one bug and then create another. Missing punctuation in quick reply stinks as quick reply is one of my favorite features.

snorbaard

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Also, just for those who are interested. Whatsapp and BBM are still crashy. No change at all in their stability since beta 1.

Completely blank installation: BBM won't let me past the "skip adding friends" dialog without crashing.

Didn't test this on the other builds, but the BitTorrent Sync app is haphazardly slow. It seems to hang every now and then for 5+ seconds.

Still going through other apps to test whether things I reported are fixed.

snorbaard

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Definitely some rather serious bugs in Safari, look to be related to javascript.
Many websites that utilize javascript won't load, and come back with an error: "A problem repeatedly occurred on 'www.....'

Some sites that don't work:
Build a Website - Squarespace
MMO-Champion - World of Warcraft News and Raiding Strategies
Anything with webgl

I had a problem with Safari quitting on me when I closed a page. Figured it was another page in one of the history cards that was loading and causing the crash.

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I have loved active notifications and had no issues with it betas 1 through 3. Now on beta 4, when I am responding to a message in active notifications, the numbers button in the bottom left of the keyboard acts as though I am clicking on the shift button above it. Anyone else have this issue?

use3egyv.jpg

Also, this might be nothing but does the vibrates on your phone feel weaker on beta 4? It seems weaker to me.

snorbaard

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I have loved active notifications and had no issues with it betas 1 through 3. Now on beta 4, when I am responding to a message in active notifications, the numbers button in the bottom left of the keyboard acts as though I am clicking on the shift button above it. Anyone else have this issue?

Yup, it's been reported as a new problem with this build a page or so earlier.

austriak

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
There is a keyboard calibration issue within quick reply.

Thanks. I actually looked at some older posts right after posting this and saw it has been discussed. I really hope beta 5 comes out quickly and fixes this. I love quick reply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Definitely some rather serious bugs in Safari, look to be related to javascript.
Many websites that utilize javascript won't load, and come back with an error: "A problem repeatedly occurred on 'www.....'

Some sites that don't work:
Build a Website - Squarespace
MMO-Champion - World of Warcraft News and Raiding Strategies
Anything with webgl

Interestingly enough, these sites are now working for me. Must have been a server side issue of some sort, but Apple seems to have resolved it for now.

SockRolid

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: iOS 8 Beta 4 for developers is available

There was an extremely annoying bug in beta 3: constantly asking for my iCloud password about once every 20 seconds, even after I had correctly entered it several times. It was so bad I just shut down my iPod touch (5th gen) and ignored it until the next update. Gone with beta 4, which is a huge relief.

Really like the "Hello, Siri" hands-free feature. Weird that it requires your device to be plugged in to work. I suppose it would be a serious battery drain otherwise. Maybe "iPhone 6" will have an "S8" chip just for Siri. (And maybe that chip will also appear in the "iWatch" / "iTime" or whatever it will be called.)

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Some apps I have hang when I slide to view a notification from the lock screen.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch (beta testing) or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
here's something that hasn't been mentioned yet; Cropping a photo no longer seems to work (for me)? Can somebody double check that? It will crop at first, but then when you tap 'save' that circle starts turning infinitely.

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Also, just for those who are interested. Whatsapp and BBM are still crashy. No change at all in their stability since beta 1.

Completely blank installation: BBM won't let me past the "skip adding friends" dialog without crashing.

Didn't test this on the other builds, but the BitTorrent Sync app is haphazardly slow. It seems to hang every now and then for 5+ seconds.

Still going through other apps to test whether things I reported are fixed.

Hmmmm I don't use whatsapp but I haven't had a problem with BBM...

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Interesting find with Quick Reply: it's shotty and the calibration is off but for some reason after rebooting it works BUT only when you actually pull down the notification. Not when you Quick Reply using Notification Center (swiping left and replying). Not sure why it's working this way though.

Edit/workaround: Click the "Smiley" icon that brings up emojis, click back and you can add punctuation, space bar, etc.! It's a little shotty as well but it does seem to recalibrate, if even for just a second, the keyboard.

Hope this helps or at least leads someone to finding a better workaround while we wait for beta 5!

(But honestly it isn't that big a deal given the grand scheme of all the other bugs that were killed with this release)

Last edited:

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm I don't use whatsapp but I haven't had a problem with BBM...

BBM works fine for me too and so long as no one uses a certain combination of letters (I think fl and fi are culprits) Whatsapp works fine too. If that happens just delete the message and start a new one with respective person(s). That's been my workaround until GM release and/or Whatsapp releases a patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.