iCloud photos still being stored locally on iphone.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else notice when using icloud photo, it seems photos are still being stored locally. I was under the impression that when using iCloud photo, most of the photos if not all would be stored in icloud. Is this because we are still in beta? Would that have anything to do with it?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else notice when using icloud photo, it seems photos are still being stored locally. I was under the impression that when using iCloud photo, most of the photos if not all would be stored in icloud. Is this because we are still in beta? Would that have anything to do with it?

Oh wow I would want them in both. Backed up to iCloud but present on my device.

Is that not the intent on iOS8?

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Well that is currently how it is in ios 7 with photo stream. Isn't the whole point of icloud photo to save storage on the phone while being able to access on your iOS devices? Maybe it's just too soon to tell..

antiprotest

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
There is no way that the feature intends to not store any photos on the phone so that you can't even view a picture you took 10 minutes ago if you get offline or lose connection. It's intended to backup your photos, not replace local storage even for recent photos.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
From Apple:

[h=4]Fill your library, not your device.[/h]iCloud Photo Library helps you make the most of the space available on your iOS device, so you can spend more time shooting pictures and less time managing them. It can automatically keep the original high-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and leave behind lightweight versions that are perfectly sized for each device. You get 5GB of iCloud storage free, and other storage plans will start at $0.99 per month.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I believe what John posted will be the new way that iCloud stores photos in the cloud and on the device once iOS 8 is public. I think that currently Photo Stream keeps a copy of the same resolution photo. I could be wrong.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe what John posted will be the new way that iCloud stores photos in the cloud and on the device once iOS 8 is public. I think that currently Photo Stream keeps a copy of the same resolution photo. I could be wrong.
Aren't photos only kept on photo stream for 30 days? I thought photo stream was for streaming photos between devices, not for storage. Am I wrong? Or missing something? LOL

Sent from from my iPhone 5

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Aren't photos only kept on photo stream for 30 days? I thought photo stream was for streaming photos between devices, not for storage. Am I wrong? Or missing something? LOL

Sent from from my iPhone 5
In spite of how long photos are kept there, they will take up local storage space on your device if you turn it on. You can make a case that that some people use Photo Stream as a temporary storage option.