Has Anyone Seen This in iOS 8 Yet?

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
So I'm waiting in the terminal in the airport and discovered a screen to the left of my home screen when I double tap the home button. When I tap the screen to the left of the home screen it automatically launches the Southwest Airlines app I have installed. Has anyone seen this and does anyone know if Apple plans to do anything with it?ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1402942782.868088.jpgImageUploadedByiMore Forums1402942797.335611.jpg

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Um, it’s a beta release, and the first one at that, so this kind of stuff will be there initially. Patience, young grasshopper.

Beyond Fire

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Well since he is at the airport, it probably used location services to determine where he was and pick the appropriate app. Thats a pretty cool feature if that is really the case.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You should also notice a small icon to the bottom left (opposite the camera icon) on your lock screen when the location services are working like that, also.

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten it too when entering one of the Starbucks locations I have set to favorites. I think it's similar to location services notifications you would get when in proximity.

On the lock screen you should see a small icon of said app (on the bottom right) whenever location services detects you are in proximity (in this case Southwest). I think it will basically allow for a Handoff and take you right to the app from the multitask screen in case you missed it on the lock screen, but since it's beta it's kind of glitchy.

But don't worry, we've gotten it too!

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Is it iBeacon or a new feature on iOS 8?

I don't think it's iBeacons because it didn't bring up useful information, etc. I think it's just proximity location notifications that already happen with 7.1, just a better/more intuitive way of handling them.

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5S using Tapatalk